Heljan announce Class 104 DMU in OO gauge

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Am now looking for a disc headcode 40 to put on the front, and a shopping trolley...

I recall an occasion where by we stopped at Farnworth and an elderly lady had “borrowed” the trolley from Asda, walked around the back of the terraces and down the ramp at Farnworth station, loaded with her shopping in bags.

When the train arrived, she duly got the station ticket seller to duly help and with the guard to put into baggage area.  No questions asked. She promptly got on the train and she went to Clifton* (I went into Victoria) and took it with her, shopping and all.

Now a few weeks later, I was on another 104, that was express from Manchester, and as we went rattling through Farnworth Tunnel there was a loud bang under the coaches and finally  a persistent dragging noise. We came to a stop mid way to Moses Gate. Guard immediately came up front, had a discussion. The driver opened his door and went on the track to the rear. He returned a few minutes later, tried and few things and shut the unit down. He explained he couldnt get vacuum and that there was a shopping trolley wrapped around the rear bogie. He packed up and flagged down a DMU going towards Manchester, climbed on board and off he went... ages passed then wrong side towards us came a class 40. It coupled up and dragged us to Bolton, where the train was terminated. The 40 reversed it to the centre thru road and and abandoned it. A large procession of trains then followed. Where the 40 emerged from or went to, was a mystery.

*in the 1980’s Clifton still had an hourly service, rather than 1 a day today.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Many congratulations to Ben and Heljan on this announcement...we wish them every success with this undoubtedly popular model.

It has been in the upper echelons of the High Polling segment of The 00 Wishlist Poll for many years. In 2019, it was only just a whisker outside The Top 50.

Kind regards

Brian (on behalf of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team)

This is excellent news and I shall be adding some to my fleet. I'm not sure how I will find room on the layout for them, though.

Still waiting for a 116 and a 119 or 120. I had wondered if Heljan might use their research for the 0-gauge 120 to do a 00 version, but apparent not, or not yet. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I have a happy memory of sitting in the front saloon in an all over blue one going from Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central via Shotts in the mid to late 1980s. It was a semi-fast service after Shotts, the expression on passengers faces on the stations it didn’t stop at as this manky, rattling bog cart came hurtling past was priceless, as they waited for the comparatively silent and smooth class 303 on the local service.

An all over blue one for me!

Brian.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Remember the cold, wet evenings at Bletchley station when the 104’s were being sent down from Manchester to start replacing the Cravens 105’s.

Their ‘greenhouse’ front windows and the wooden interior panelling immediately stood out - happy memories and so pleased I’ll now be able to recreate them in miniature.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonny777 said:

The 104s were not exclusive to the Manchester area. They could be seen on Crewe to Lincoln trains in the late 1960s and I saw quite a few at Nottingham during that time. 

There were a few sets based at Derby Etches Park, some as late as 1981.

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic and unexpected news.

However, the lack of a bog standard 80s blue (ie no headcode) in either 2 or 3 car  seems to be a large omission for what would surely be a big seller? Seems a little strange or have I missed something?

• Agree 3

Delighted - was on my wishlist - ordered a 3 car BR Blue one with headcodes immediately.

Thank you to our Danish friends!

If not domino headcode, hoping not to hard to change. Really happy with a Class 104, will be fantastic.

What is more, the announcement photo from Andy is my home town! 

17 minutes ago, EddieK said:

There were a few sets based at Derby Etches Park, some as late as 1981.

The earliest one I have found in spotting notes so far, is M50472 at Derby station on 27th March 1960. 

Excellent. I might invest in the early green one myself. 

Bravo for Heljan.
One of the most numerous DMUs and no Bachmann  or Hornby model.  As a Buxton modeller, brought up there, the only question now is how many? Green, green and green with speed whiskers at least, with two units at least to make up a typical rake of six.  It just needs a video camera (as Roco) to recreate sitting behind the driver to Manchester and wondering how the gear changes were managed and looking at the little blue engine -running lights.  Photo attached, but aplogies as I didn't make a note of who posted it or where, but it shows the essence of the Buxton line.

Class 104 entering Dove Holes station from Manchester March1965.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Very nice, and if Hattons’ estimated price is to be believed, a very attractive price too. 

Roy

Hattons have got it wrong before  and if the manufacturer or commissioner can’t tell you the price how could Hattons ?   Note  they say it’s Estimated and subject to change , but they promise to tell you . A Bachmann 117 is about £260 discounted , I believe , so probably based on that 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Legend said:

Hattons have got it wrong before  and if the manufacturer or commissioner can’t tell you the price how could Hattons ?   Note  they say it’s Estimated and subject to change , but they promise to tell you . A Bachmann 117 is about £260 discounted , I believe , so probably based on that 

£260-270's about right for a discounted 117 (apart from the Kernow GWR150 special - add £50) and I think I've just read that each 104 unit will only have one powered vehicle, ie, a bit like the Bachmann Derby Lightweights, whereas the 117 has multiple motors. So logically doing away with one motor should keep the costs down - although that theory doesn't seem to have worked with the Ethel preorders, which I believe are motor-less (but still contain at least some electronics), unlike the standard items. Standard and Ethel appear to be priced the same.

As a PS, I've just pre-ordered a Mexican Bean.....

Oh yeah baby! I have waited a long time for some of these.

My favourite Heritage DMU. I loved how utterly clapped out they were. Exhaust rasp, windows and fittings vibrating like mad. Wonderful! 
Like others, I thought I might eventually see this from the Barwell lot, but if they do as good a job on the 104 like they did with the 128, I’ll be happy.
Initial thoughts were this is going to be expensive as I’ll have the white stripe, The Blue and Grey and the NSE flashes 2 car. Sadly after doing a bit of investigating,  the white stripe set is too early for me. The Blue and Grey set became the Mexican bean, so again too early for me. So it’s just the 2 car NSE Flash set. Would have liked a 2/3 car bog standard blue (without head code), but I suppose it will come in the future. Great news this! 

Edited by 66738
  • Like 2