Heljan announce Class 104 DMU in OO gauge

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, russ p said:

I'm amazed you had to bump this Andy.  I'd have expected pages of posts why its completely the wrong model by now !

Well, I would have done but then I found a picture of M50478 on a New Street to Leicester train in 1958, so I may be tempted. On the other hand in the picture it has the lion and wheel emblem rather than the coaching stock roundel as on the model.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Go on gang did they ever make Darlington?

Thanks gang 

Craig 

1958 also saw the 4-car sets delivered, a batch of 21 and a batch of 5, both to the NER, the first ones going to Darlington.

On 23/3/58 an excursion ran from Tyldesley to Scarborough, the train, W590 was comprised of 50483 / 59139 / 50431 & 50482 / 59138 / 50430.

On Good Friday '58 another excursion from Tyldesley to Scarborough had 50501 / 59157/ 50449 & 50502 / 59158 / 50450, but the train failed near Rillington. A Newcastle - Scarborough excursion formed of an 8-car 101 was running behind, and it was decided to couple the two trains together and proceed the 16 1/2 miles to Scarborough, with one driver in the first driving compartment to control the brakes and another driver in the cab of the 7th vehicle (the first of the Newcastle set) to control power. This would not work well, and so it was decided to transfer the passengers from the Tyldesley to the Newcastle set and leave the 104 out of the way on the Whitby branch. The 101 arrived at Scarborough about 80 mins late, making the Tyldesley passengers over two hours late. In the meantime diesel fitters were summoned from York and brought to Scarborough by taxi, only to find the cars were at Rillington after all and they had to retrace their steps for the 16 1/2 miles. The 104s finally arrived at Scarborough at 18:50, just in time for it's booked return at 18:55, but this was put back an hour or so to compensate for the passengers late arrival.

On Easter Sunday '58 a 104 made it to Scarborough without incident on an excursion from Manchester London Road.

Four-car sets based at Darlington were introduced to York-Harrogate services on the 18th Aug. '58 to previous steam timings.

Charlie

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Well, I would have done but then I found a picture of M50478 on a New Street to Leicester train in 1958, so I may be tempted. On the other hand in the picture it has the lion and wheel emblem rather than the coaching stock roundel as on the model.

Haven't Heljan announced one of the three car models with the unicycling ferret?  I'm sure I read two M numbered three cars, one with the pre '56 logo and one with the later beermat crests and whiskers.

Personally I would have preferred the beermat 3 car version to have yellow bibs but depending on how far the whiskers go or if they can be easily removed it's not a biggie to put yellow bibs on the end.

5 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

A most welcome model. It has, though, been produced in RTR form before — Triang TT, long ago.

And a pretty good model it was too.  But not much use to a 2mm or 4mm modeller. 

• Agree 1

This is a really good news item from Heljan and I am wanting LMR allocated 2 car and 3 car sets. 

Ideally M50539 and M56182 for the two car power trailer set as allocated to Walsall's Ryecroft shed until Beeching, then a move to 9A Longsight.  Obviously can renumber any power trailer set but these didn't have the white roof domes.

Here is an RCTS image incorrectly captioned as a Derby Lightweight unit. 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/derby-lightweight/hA870E3F5#ha870e3f5   

Other very relevant images of the two car units in the West Midlands

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha0f80983

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha104ca7d

Definitely one for later in the programme - a 3 car in blue with SYP. - very nice

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha0f82cb3

Edited by Covkid

8 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Personally I would have preferred the beermat 3 car version to have yellow bibs .....

Me too. Manufacturers often seem to leave the green era SYP variant to second batch releases. I wonder if this is a deliberate ploy to encourage sales of less sought-after earlier livery versions?

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, walrus said:

Me too. Manufacturers often seem to leave the green era SYP variant to second batch releases. I wonder if this is a deliberate ploy to encourage sales of less sought-after earlier livery versions?

I think that I need "speed whiskers". But what would be the earliest use of SYP?

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

This is a really good news item from Heljan and I am wanting LMR allocated 2 car and 3 car sets. 

Ideally M50539 and M56182 for the two car power trailer set as allocated to Walsall's Ryecroft shed until Beeching, then a move to 9A Longsight.  Obviously can renumber any power trailer set but these didn't have the white roof domes.

Here is an RCTS image incorrectly captioned as a Derby Lightweight unit. 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/derby-lightweight/hA870E3F5#ha870e3f5   

Other very relevant images of the two car units in the West Midlands

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha0f80983

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha104ca7d

Definitely one for later in the programme - a 3 car in blue with SYP. - very nice

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/104/hA0F80983#ha0f82cb3

The two car power trailer set proposed is one of the five such sets new to ER/NER. These had the additional luggage rack opposite the toilet in the DTCL vehicle, while the LMR sets had seating opposite the toilet.

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/official-2-car

Vehicles 50539 and 56182 were amongst a group of Class 104 sets that transferred to Bletchley Depot around November 1981. My morning train to school was usually formed of two Cravens Class 105 twins, so imagine my surprise when one of the two sets turned up as a 104. High backed seats and wooden panelling seemed luxurious compared to the Cravens interior.

• Like 4

Among my few photos of class 104 sets is one taken an a dull day at Leicester in 1980.

scan0140.jpg.fab0903cc3aaac48067e00956d66717f.jpg

The 16.40 departure for Cambridge waits at Leicester. My notes were smudged, but I think the vehicles are 50500, 59156, and 50445. 23/7/80.

cheers

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Haven't Heljan announced one of the three car models with the unicycling ferret?  I'm sure I read two M numbered three cars, one with the pre '56 logo and one with the later beermat crests and whiskers.

Yes they have. Not sure where the one they have chosen for the old livery was based, may have to get the transfers out. I think c1958 Ryecroft had some power + trailer twins but the internal layout was different to the ER ones. 

• Agree 1

Hi,

thanks for the Class 104 announcement Ben. Looking forward to getting both the 3 car with the centre and a power trailer 2 car version. Out of interest are you considering a GWR single parcels car based on say W34 to compliment that range.

Thanks Fred

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Yes they have. Not sure where the one they have chosen for the old livery was based, may have to get the transfers out. I think c1958 Ryecroft had some power + trailer twins but the internal layout was different to the ER ones. 

1450: BR early green 3-car with Lion and Wheel emblem M50422 + M59134 + M50426

1451: BR green 3-car with speed whiskers and Coaching Stock roundel M50478 + M59186 + M50530

According to Roger Harris the first of the above (1450) was allocated from new to Longsight (5/57) then Crewe North (6/57) and Buxton (9/57) whilst the second (1451) was allocated to Crewe South (3/58) then Toton (4/58) and Derby (12/62).

Replacing the early emblem might be possible but a point to note is that according to Railcar.co.uk at least the first four sets with the early emblem were painted in a darker green to later units. If Heljan are to follow the prototype then this would preclude changing the emblems.

Other points I picked out from the site are that units with the coaching stock roundel were delivered minus speed whiskers up until at least M50470 + M59178 + M50522. Some units supplied thus did have speed whiskers painted retrospectively in a variety of styles and mismatched when compared with the shade used for the original lining.

Another variant is that the coaching stock roundel originally had left and right facing crests but from approx 1960 the right hand variant was done away with so only left hand facing crests.

Edited by SP Steve
Link added
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I think that I need "speed whiskers". But what would be the earliest use of SYP?

1962 was when yellow panels began appearing widely, but many DMUs retained the speed whiskers for several years thereafter.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Yes.  See Eddie's post two above yours. Am also after the Ryecroft example so provided Ben comes up with the goods, I will have a power+trailer set and renumber / modify. The concern I have is that Heljan have had issues with the cab windscreens and gutters on some models in the past, and I really would like the BRCW not to be in that camp.