Heljan announce Class 104 DMU in OO gauge

AY Mod

Checking the prototype numbers proposed, it seems that Heljan are doing both cab front styles in the first run. The BR early green London Midland 3 car set should have a single roof mounted marker light (no marker lights low down on either side, these were added in the 70s), the BR green whiskers London Midland 3 car set should have no roof mounted marker light, but two lights, lower down below the driving windows, one each side.

Edited by rembrow

Seen at Ely. on a BNS-CBG working. Along with an early (not-101) M/C 2-car. Somewhere I have the numbers.07_104_0001_Ely.jpg.298ea006d6f1a897920925eaeb46a4ba.jpg

The 104 services, shared with 101s from the midlands, were a highlight for CBG trainspotters at the time, bringing a relief from 105, DLW, and early M/C, along with 31 & 37 locos!

My old 104 conversion, which I've only just dug out for a revamp with Craftsman(?) bits, is now due for retirement.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, this is a very welcome announcement, and the class 104 DMU plugs quite a gap in the 57 foot units. As stated, they had high backed seats, and wood surrounds to the saloon windows, with pale green melamine in the NER sets. 
Locally, they worked on Hull to Scarborough, and Hull to York, via Market Weighton, until it closed down. As with other first generation units they could suffer bogie hunting at high speed, which was quite an experience. I recall, however, something quite different when, sat in the front DMCL on the approach to Driffield, on a journey to Scarborough, in about 1971,  the fog was thick, as suddenly, two detonators went off in quick succession! I and my parents jumped out of our seats,  but we were not worried, we knew what they were. 

So, the models are most welcome, and already memories are flooding back. And here’s a photo’ of a model I made of one of the NER’s two car sets. It’s made from the re worked Hornby class 110 bodies, on a rebuilt Bachmann class 108 chassis. I spent months on it, especially trying to get things right with both chassis, and referred to countless photo’s to locate what went were, etc., I managed to get all the external and internal lights working too.

56100831-1C1A-4A3E-B3AD-64F6CA650499.jpeg.2d5486002dfeee2bb147f5bccc928538.jpeg

So, I certainly am looking forward to new Heljan models, but will keep this two car set.

Best regards,

Rob.

P.S. those buffers will be quite a challenge - it took me a long time to get them right, and working too.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hello

When did they finish in the North East? 

Cheers

George

18 minutes ago, George Woodcock said:

Hello

When did they finish in the North East? 

Cheers

George

Late 1981/Early 1982 as the Tyne and wear metro opened taking over alot/all of there work.

https://www.brcw.co.uk/decline

https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/decline

• Tempfix

Very excited by this announcement. My first experience on one was at Greenford about 30 years ago while meandering around getting my moneys-worth out of a travelcard. I remember wondering if it would make it as far as Ealing Broadway. Like many I did a Hornby 110 bash many years ago, but fortunately did L703, so I should be able to convince my wife this one is different.

OR0029.JPG.630e1af6b8f4f537c503a3bb1264b783.JPG

Rich

• Like 11

On 07/11/2020 at 15:36, Taigatrommel said:

Will we see modellers converting them to 110s in a reverse of the fate many Hornby units had?

A really solid choice, and very welcome.  The Bachmann 117 got me back into DMU modelling, this announcement makes it even more fun.

It will be interesting to see if 104’s are converted to 110’s. In fact, I’m kind of hoping that a few years down the line, we may see a 110 following on from Heljan?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 66738 said:

It will be interesting to see if 104’s are converted to 110’s. In fact, I’m kind of hoping that a few years down the line, we may see a 110 following on from Heljan?

Depends on the price tag and an individuals guts on cutting into a model that could see that amount written off.

I think its harder to goto from a 104 a 110 than it is to go from a 110 to a 104. Depending how close Hornby and Heljans body profiles are, you may get away with lobbing the front off one onto the other, with luck even the yellow cab may not even need painting.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Depends on the price tag and an individuals guts on cutting into a model that could see that amount written off.

I think its harder to goto from a 104 a 110 than it is to go from a 110 to a 104. Depending how close Hornby and Heljans body profiles are, you may get away with lobbing the front off one onto the other, with luck even the yellow cab may not even need painting.

There’s the 110 window frames as well. Is it easier to add the frames to a 104 or take frames away from a 110? Either way, it’s not easy. I’ll stick with my Hornby 110 bodies on modified Bachmann 108 chassis’s. And wait patiently. To me it would be a logical progression for Heljan. 

• Agree 1

I have slowly been accumulating Hornby 110's to make the conversion to 104's - I think I will still do it as a learning experience but I am looking forward to getting a couple of sets of this Heljan model.  I have voted for this model for several years in the annual wish list poll.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, gridwatcher said:

Don't hold your breath!

Not as far fetch as you think, the Blue train would attract quite a following.

They got south to Manchester and GMPTE livery (which saw them wander around quite a bit of the north west).

From a lot of 1st gen EMUs a 303 and a 309 stand out as being a rare combination of being colourful, popular, well travelled and not too many different tooling mods.

its a matter of time before manufacturers pucker up and kiss the frog.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 4

22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

They got south to Manchester and GMPTE livery (which saw them wander around quite a bit of the north west).

From a lot of 1st gen EMUs a 303 and a 309 stand out as being a rare combination of being colourful, popular, well travelled and not too many different tooling mods.

We would love it....as you may know. We have built 5 DC 303 kits to span different eras on Wellpark and sound fitted the lot..... I live in hope

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/11/2020 at 20:20, stewartingram said:

They even worked from Cambridge to Stansted Airport....

303048 CBG 14-09-1991.

One of NSE Gala Days, Chris Green arranged for it to be brought down apparently.

500203475_09_33_0001_303048Cambridge14-09-1991.jpg.761c0b72bf162219100a030ab0b5f9bc.jpg

Could you imagine that today.. or even the reverse, say a 317 in Scotland.

Edited by adb968008

On 07/11/2020 at 23:51, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Go on gang did they ever make Darlington?

Thanks gang 

Craig 

I travelled on them from Redcar to Middlesbrough in the early 60s, for sure. Green with yellow panel. 

Edited by D9001

On 11/11/2020 at 15:46, adb968008 said:

Again, over to you Charlie! 

• Funny 1

52 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

In the 1980s I used to have a summer job within sight of the Wickford to Southminster branch and I'm pretty sure Class 104 units were used in the rush hour to supplement the usual Cravens units.

They were used up until 1982 on the branch and based out of Stratford I think.