Poll Q.. Would you like an 88 in OO ?

adb968008

Would you like a Class 88 in OO ?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like a Class 88 in OO ?

• No = 0
    • Yes = 1 (1 and just 1 will do)
    • Yes = 2 (I only want an heir and a spare)
    • Yes = 3 (DRS for me)
    • Yes = 4 or more (You must be serious)

• RMweb Gold

No assumption on who makes it.

Should assume that its only the 1 current livery, but multiple numbers & or weathered / sound etc options  available.

set up at @Dixie Deanrequest from this thread, maybe merge the two ?

Set it up as anonymous voting.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• adb968008 changed the title to Poll Q.. Would you like an 88 in OO ?
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you to those who suggested creating a poll, to those who created it and to everyone for voting. It's really interesting to gauge the demand from RMWeb, and to see how many people would buy a model with currently one livery, across just ten locos. 

I have just submitted a vote for three Class 88s and I'm the second person to do. I have chosen to vote for three 88s because recently they have been working in pairs on nuclear flask trains, which can be easily replicated in OO Gauge and they also regularly work Tesco intermodal trains in reality which can also be replicated in model form by using the Dapol IDAs and/or IKA Megafrets. I have the latter and a selection of nuclear wagons. With this in mind I figured I could either have a pair on a flask train and the third could be used on an intermodal working. Alternatively, I could have two working intermodal trains because I know that in reality their can be up to three workings of the Tesco trains operating on any one day. I could then have the third model as a spare for wagon transfers, engineers workings or sat spare on the depot ready to swop with one of the two on intermodal duties. The other option could be to just rotate the three and have one on maintenance/repair at any one time. 

I would potentially buy four or more but I chosen to vote for three models because the likelihood would be that if a manufacturer was to produce the 88 in OO, they would have to produce a few, most likely at least three or four numbers in the first batch to cover development work and tooling costs. With that in mind I may struggle to buy four or more all in one go, but certainly if I could afford it I would and if their was a second batch at a later stage I would most likely buy some more. 

I trust that none of this will come as a huge surprise to anyone given how everyone knows how big a fan I am of DRS and their locos. That's not to mention my profile name haha!...

Thank you. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

I’ve got a depot layout (full of 37s and the odd 66) and no OHLE, but could justify one 88 visiting. Because of the novelty value (and if sound fitted) it would be a more desirable purchase for me than a class 68.

I forgot to say that I don't have OHLE fitted on the layout either. But I would still buy some and run them nonetheless. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Gold

Not wishing to knock anyone’s efforts but I have a feeling that the Class 88 debate has somewhat been overly discussed over the years, and as much I’d like to think Dapol take notice of these threads, I don’t think they will be brow beaten into producing one.

I’d have one if they ever become available, either from Dapol or one of the rapidly rising small manufacturers.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I don’t think they will be brow beaten into producing one.

In fairness I hadn't really thought about this being in the Dapol sub forum. I don't care who'd make it within reason.

I think the point of the poll is to highlight the amount of people wanting an 88. It might prove there isn't much of a demand too.

• Like 4

Cheers adb968008, glad you know what you're doing!  I've voted now and see that takes the total to 43 from 55 who have voted.  Pity the running total isn't shown automatically though.

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dixie Dean said:

Cheers adb968008, glad you know what you're doing!  I've voted now and see that takes the total to 43 from 55 who have voted.  Pity the running total isn't shown automatically though.

Its at the top, 58 votes.

my new mate Donald doing the counting, tells me although 51.7% today have voted No, that we are really winning big style, with 41 models people would buy, against the 0 the No’s would buy.

if we can keep the No’s buying 0 were on a winner in this vote every time. Each time someone votes yes.. the gap between No’s and Yes’s simply gets bigger and bigger.

:D

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Seriously though, consider the reaction to this thread, vs the class 104 thread.  This page has 400 views since friday, the 104 page has had nearly 3000 in 24 hours.

I’d buy 2x class 88’s no issue. Not sure i’d need a third unless there was a livery change or other reason. However the newly announced class 104.. i’m definite for 4, and would have to calm myself from more... maybe 5 or 6 would be too many... but either way i’m in for more than 2.

Whilst manufacturers are reticent with units, I think theres much more potential to be explored. 
fwiw I think the 89 (at least 4 liveries), even the class 82/83 (6+ liveries) have greater potential.

If I were going to invest £100k plus i’d be looking at the page views, rather than the poll numbers, it says more about the excitement level of the silent modellers.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its at the top, 58 votes.

Sorry, I meant the number of locos which would be purchased

Sadly, I think there's little to no chance of me ever running an 88 unless I built it myself.  But there's so many changes you'd have to make to a 68 body and chassis it wouldn't be a quick job.  I did follow a thread by someone else who'd started the trip, but it just went quiet and I suspect he has given up :-(

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Dixie Dean said:

Sorry, I meant the number of locos which would be purchased

Sadly, I think there's little to no chance of me ever running an 88 unless I built it myself.  But there's so many changes you'd have to make to a 68 body and chassis it wouldn't be a quick job.  I did follow a thread by someone else who'd started the trip, but it just went quiet and I suspect he has given up :-(

I saw a finished one on Facebook I think

On 08/11/2020 at 15:33, TomScrut said:

I saw a finished one on Facebook I think

I had a search but couldn't find one, sadly.  The totalometer is up to 66 now though.  Bit short of what we would need :-(

• Like 1