Connecting wires

sb67

I'm sure there's a simple answer but I have a few wires coming from my track that I need to consolidate into one in order to connect them to the main power source. I've been twisting them together and stuffing them in a chocolate block connector but that's not ideal as I'm now getting too many wires.

Does anyone know if there is there some sort of connector I could use? 

Hope that makes sense.

• RMweb Gold

Try these....

Wago connectors-  they come in sizes ranging from 2 to 5 inputs although if it’s fine wire it’s quite possible to twist 2 or 3 into a single socket. The trigger clamps tight and I’ve never had one fail. Available from screwfix, Amazon, etc.

the image shows a 5 input, which is about an inch long. Easy to undo and reuse.

image.jpeg

Edited by ITG
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Or these, which can be used for joining multi wires, (Use the linking bar) or keeping them separate. Handy advantage over choc blocks is that they don’t chew the wire strands when screwed tight, as there is a plate which tightens.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJDD-Position-Pre-Insulated-Industrial-Instrumentation/dp/B07S3L9KVQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2PV0X7GMKFY4T&dchild=1&keywords=jjdd&qid=1589899070&s=diy&sprefix=Jjdd%2Cdiy%2C146&sr=1-2

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ITG said:

Or these, which can be used for joining multi wires, (Use the linking bar) or keeping them separate. Handy advantage over choc blocks is that they don’t chew the wire strands when screwed tight, as there is a plate which tightens.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJDD-Position-Pre-Insulated-Industrial-Instrumentation/dp/B07S3L9KVQ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2PV0X7GMKFY4T&dchild=1&keywords=jjdd&qid=1589899070&s=diy&sprefix=Jjdd%2Cdiy%2C146&sr=1-2

Do you know if it's possible to solder a wire to the linking bar?  I'm thinking of the idea where the DCC power bus wire is soldered to the linking bar and then the 12 positions on the other side can connect 12 separate droppers, which can be disconnected for fault finding.

8 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

Do you know if it's possible to solder a wire to the linking bar?  I'm thinking of the idea where the DCC power bus wire is soldered to the linking bar and then the 12 positions on the other side can connect 12 separate droppers, which can be disconnected for fault finding.

No need to solder.  You can double up the DCC feed with one of the linking bar positions.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Dungrange said:

No, I don’t know about soldering, but I’m not sure of the advantage of doing so. It is possible to get a wire (or more if needed) in as well as the linking bar on that side. You can also split the linking bar into + (red) and - (black) so as to use a single bar for both polarities, if requiring smaller quantities of connecting wires.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks guys, I'll be off to screwfix this weekend to get some of those Wago connectors, I think they're still open! 

Yes, they are but I think maybe for pre-ordered click’n’collect only?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ITG said:

Yep, my local one has been like that since it re opened. It's classed as an essential goods shop so it's still open :)

Wago now have the 221 series connectors, which are less bulky than the old 222 series.

Having a flat base, they're also easier to fix down to a flat surface, such as the underside of a layout, or panel. 

(n.b. professional mounting brackets are available).

The 221's can also fit neatly into some of the smaller protective connector boxes, if you prefer some added protection and neatness.

71d+P1r98AL._AC_SX355_.jpg  F8837557-01.jpg R8837544-01.jpg

Older 222

51-yZcwYb0L._SX385_.jpg 

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, ITG said:

They've re=opened to normal sales (not just click and collect) a few weeks ago, but not sure since the new lockdown on thursday.

I went to Screwfix yesterday (Friday).

Ordered online, but when I went to pick the items up, expecting a Click and Collect only operation, I was surprised to see that the store was open as normal, with the 2 metre queueing system they've been operating since restrictions were eased back in the summer.

Other customers in there were mostly collecting online orders, like me, but a couple of people were ordering goods at the counter.

On 11/11/2020 at 14:08, teaky said:

If you're stripping lots of cable ends then this kind of tool is very easy to use.  (Shop around though.  I paid less than half of what Screwfix are asking.)

I second that exact tool Rob.

I got a similar one from Aldi or Lidl. Looked the same but wasn't. Only seemed to strip the wire 3 out of 4 times, and looking at the insulation 'cut' it seemed overly stretched. Returned to Aldi or Lidl (whoever) I then got the C.K. wire stripper you linked to. Works perfect every time.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Damo666 said:

I got a similar one from Aldi or Lidl. Looked the same but wasn't. Only seemed to strip the wire 3 out of 4 times, and looking at the insulation 'cut' it seemed overly stretched. Returned to Aldi or Lidl (whoever) I then got the C.K. wire stripper you linked to. Works perfect every time.

Worth knowing.  I may be stuffed on a return though as I bought one from eBay last year.  Thus far it has worked faultlessly on a few dozen cables of various gauges and both single and multi-core.

As is always the way, I only discovered it after I'd done the wiring for the loft conversion!  It will get a bit of a bashing with all the layout droppers though.

• 2 months later...

If you're stripping lots of cable ends then this kind of tool is very easy to use.  (Shop around though.  I paid less than half of what Screwfix are asking.)

On 12/11/2020 at 18:29, Damo666 said:

Just got an email from Toolstation that the C.K. Wire Stripper is reduced to £14.99, saving about £4 (~22% off).

As I said in my earlier post, I've found this tool to be superior to the Lidl/Aldi clone.

• 3 months later...
On 06/11/2020 at 19:31, AndyID said:

Wire nuts. Pretty inexpensive too. Nobody in the UK seems to like them but they are used extensively in the US without any problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wire-Nuts-Twist-Connectors-Terminals/dp/B07HR6BDZC

More senior (as in age) electrical people liken them to the old porcelain screwits used pre 1960's.

Wire nuts are fine for multi-stranded cables with a bit of care & you don't try to cram too mauch into them.

7 hours ago, SamThomas said:

More senior (as in age) electrical people liken them to the old porcelain screwits used pre 1960's.

Wire nuts are fine for multi-stranded cables with a bit of care & you don't try to cram too mauch into them.

They also work very well with solid wire. Wire nuts and solid wire are used extensively for power distribution in US buildings. When used correctly they do not create problems.