Connecting wires

sb67

I'm going to seem really dumb about these WAGO connectors. I've looked at the Wago site, the Screwfix site and here in RMweb, but still am unsure! I want connectors for the two wires of my DCC power bus, to bridge joints that will rarely (if ever) be separated after the main construction phase of the layout is over.

a) do they come in male female pairs? None of the photos seem to show that.

b) in the Screwfix site, minimum cost seems to be over 20 pounds because they're in 50s or 100s etc. I'll need just 4 (or 5 for an unforeseen spare).

c) The photo at the head of this thread may show something that could dangle from cable. Previous layout was joined like that. Or this time I could have one connection screwed to the underside and the other connector free hanging.

Any clarity would be much appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Dr.Glum said:

a) do they come in male female pairs? None of the photos seem to show that.

No, the connection is made within the Wago connector. The 5-way example is designed to join 5 conductors.

b) in the Screwfix site, minimum cost seems to be over 20 pounds because they're in 50s or 100s etc. I'll need just 4 (or 5 for an unforeseen spare).

You can get them in smaller quantities from CPC, Farnell, RS, etc.

c) The photo at the head of this thread may show something that could dangle from cable. Previous layout was joined like that. Or this time I could have one connection screwed to the underside and the other connector free hanging.

Yes, it will dangle on the cable. They are designed to be used inside "choc boxes".

Lots of info on YouTube, e.g., https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGv6h5bacdg which uses a Wago box. For MR use you can, e.g., velcro or hot glue somewhere convenient.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2021 at 15:34, Dr.Glum said:

Many thanks Andrew. Shows clearly I need something else, more 'plug 'n play'.

I think you're looking for something like this :

CN179 Pluggable Terminal Block | Brimal Components (bclstore.co.uk)https://www.bclstore.co.uk/product-page/cn179-pluggable-terminal-block

Although you can easily open them up to remove wires, the Wagos are not meant to be used for regular, or irregular disconnection of wires.

For joining layout sections, or baseboards that you might want to separate (either regularly, or only very occasionally), then a plug and socket type connector is what you should be looking at.

If you are using the 5-way Wago 221 connectors and want to attach them to your baseboard, there is a handy mounting carrier available, part number 221-505.  These are available from CPC amongst other suppliers.

In the photo, to the left is the carrier as supplied, in the middle I have trimmed off the front section which I do not require (I use the screw holes under where the Wagos clip in), and the right hand image shows the Wagos fitted.  As shown, multiple carriers can be joined together.

These carriers are also available for the 2 and 3 conductor Wago 221s.

P1050934.JPG

Edited by Wuggie Norple
more info
  • Like 1

Have you decided on your connectors?  I've used the plug and socket ones as well as the wago connectors and they are both easy to use, cheap and so far reliable, I've just glued my wago connectors to my baseboard and as Ron Ron Ron said "for for regular or irregular disconnection of wires" the plug and socket ones would be best and are dead easy to use. 

• 1 month later...

I have a situation where I need to move my controller around from mini layout to mini layout, being too mean to buy seperate ones for each. I have been looking for a small version of those rubber two piece three prong cable connection plugs and sockets but can't track anuthing down. Being an electrical idiot I wonder what other plug and socket gadget anyone can recommend? I'll be using normal peco wired track type wire.

20 hours ago, joppyuk1 said:

I have a situation where I need to move my controller around from mini layout to mini layout, being too mean to buy seperate ones for each. I have been looking for a small version of those rubber two piece three prong cable connection plugs and sockets but can't track anuthing down. Being an electrical idiot I wonder what other plug and socket gadget anyone can recommend? I'll be using normal peco wired track type wire.

I swap controllers between layout, cant remember exactly what I use but soon as I'm back home I'l! Put some pics on. Hope that helps.. 

Edited by sb67

• RMweb Premium

I have just always used standard 5-din plugs and sockets. Quite cheap and easy to source. In the past I made a modular DC setup using them, boxed transformer, handheld etc, and now have one on the end of my DCC system output, so it just connects to whatever layout I want to use.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, sb67 said:

I swap controllers between layout, cant remember exactly what I use but soon as I'm back home I'l! Put some pics on. Hope that helps.. 

Pictures would be delightful (a picture's worth ... etc.) , thanks.

Look at 4 pin XLR connectors . I use these for controllers in preference to DIN connectors. 

Chassis and in-.line male / female available.

More robust than DIN series. (Also some might find them easier to solder to)

Edited by 2E Sub Shed
Spelling
  • Agree 2

DIN plugs and sockets were originally intended for low power audio signals, and as such are not ideal for power. They also have small pins for soldering. SLR  connectors are designed for power and have solder buckets and more space between pins, all making life much easier.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

How about Anderson Connectors? Most golf trolleys use them and from my own experience they are reliable and pretty tough. They have to be because no golfer wants to fiddle about for half an hour gently assembling their trolley. Power connectors on golf trolleys have to be a 'slam together, stay connected for hours' solution and even tolerate rain, vibration and a little mud.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/anderson-power-connectors.html

Edited by AndrueC

I've been recently using Aviation connectors.  Two to fifteen pin and in three sizes. For my DCC bus pair and a 12 v layout lighting feed pair I've used 20mm dia. (GX20) four pole connectors.  They have a large pins and locking rings to retain the plug secure. :D    Example... eBay example

Prior to these I used XLR connectors, but was limited in the number of ways available.

• Informative/Useful 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262491747560

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264497822506

254437252_5092415877455201_2605801847753161393_n.jpg.ecbbbdf196469dcfe5f4afb77fcc566a.jpg

254972804_293508725964405_4046493093159463738_n.jpg.4209476e1edff9486b5ccb980545c1ab.jpg

I've a Gaugemaster  walkabout  controller and these are the 6 pin DIN plugs I use. The socket on the right is a power jack plug that I plug the power supply for the controller in to, which is, in turn, wired to the DIN plug.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224043216434

The way I've wired it I can also plug in my DCC controller if need be as well. 

They all work fine for me, at home with limited use. 

Edited by sb67