Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Lead based solder. Has it been prohibited to no professional users?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Came to order some more 60/40 multicore solder from Rapid Online, where I have purchased in the past. (500g reel)

However it is now only available to credit account customers.

When I queried this and said I have been a regular customer of theirs and purchased it in the past I was told it could only be supplied to "professionals" which of course you need to be for a credit account. (they are to get back to me. on this)

It seems we are being forced to use lead free solder, which I have tried but found I couldn't make such a good job with.

It just doesn't flow as well.

Anybody else found this obstacle?

BTW Farnell & RS do not seem to have a restriction, so if Rapid won't sell it I shall go to farnell.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

See the 'Please Note' on this page for example. Can't say I was aware of this restriction. Agreed even after using it for 20 years I still find lead free solder  trickier to use than tin/lead (not that I do much soldering these days thankfully).

https://www.rapidonline.com/rapid-solder-wire-60-40-22swg-0-7mm-500g-reel-85-0595

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 96701 said:

A bloke at Maplin told me ages ago that it was illegal to sell solder containing lead. I told him to stop lying to customers.

That came about due to a misread recommendation (IIRC from the EU).

It was advised that if possible lead free solder should be used.

Maplin head office took it as an instruction not to sell it.

It is illegal to used leaded solder for potable water supply pipework for which I have the correct lead free solder & flux.

It works fine for that when using a blowlamp.

But I don't use it for electronic work or modelling.

If Rapid wont sell it to me I shall go to Farnell.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Deano said:

Bought some leaded stuff from screwfix a few weeks ago.

I agree, the unleaded doesn't flow as well, it's like spreading soft butter. Any advice appreciated on it's use.

Melt it into a bl00dy great lump and use it as a yacht anchor - all it's fit for IMHO. 

11 hours ago, 96701 said:

A bloke at Maplin told me ages ago that it was illegal to sell solder containing lead. I told him to stop lying to customers.

A certain previous proprieter of a certain track building supplies company warned that was very soon to be the case too - and sold an awful lot of 145 and 188 as a result.  Quite a few years later (ten?) it's still available.....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Deano said:

Bought some leaded stuff from screwfix a few weeks ago.

Not quite sure how you managed that as AFAIK they only sell lead free (plumber's) solder.

Please prove me wrong!

5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I found this with RS. Bought from Hobby Holidays in the end.

Irritating but not the end of the world (and gave a bit of money to a small business too).

RS will sell it providing you have an account - not difficult to get.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

It is illegal to used leaded solder for potable water supply pipework for which I have the correct lead free solder & flux.

It works fine for that when using a blowlamp.

I wouldn't say "works fine", it's still a pain in the arse to solder with, and besides, why should plumbers not be able to use leaded solder when there are miles of lead supply water pipework still carrying"potable" water?

Mike.

• Agree 1

CPC Farnell have plenty of  leaded solder in stock, but it is a large reel (500g)

https://cpc.farnell.com/qualitek/60-40-nc600-0-7mm/solder-wire-60-40-nc600-0-7mm/dp/SD02116?st=solder

60/40 Leaded solder wire

Ideal for all Sn/Pb applications

Utilising a synthetically refined resin and a very effective activator package

Good wetting of solder on all common finishes

Low level of clear residues

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I wouldn't say "works fine", it's still a pain in the arse to solder with, and besides, why should plumbers not be able to use leaded solder when there are miles of lead supply water pipework still carrying"potable" water?

Mike.

Just because it was OK then, why should it be OK now? Lead is poisonous, why make people ingest it when, where possible, it can be avoided?

Besides there are loads of places where the water won't be flowing through lead pipes.

If you are in a hard water area the inside of the pipe will be nicely coated with limescale.

I've never had a problem soldering with copper pipe + plain joints + lead free solder + flux + blowlamp, I prefer it to the pre-soldered joints.

I get nice flowing joints, but I don't when using a soldering iron and lead free multicore for electronics.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

CPC Farnell have plenty of  leaded solder in stock, but it is a large reel (500g)

https://cpc.farnell.com/qualitek/60-40-nc600-0-7mm/solder-wire-60-40-nc600-0-7mm/dp/SD02116?st=solder

Yes I know and I buy 500g reels.

My last Rapid order a while back was a 500g reel.

29 minutes ago, meil said:

I do have an RS account. I already have a reel in my "basket" but bulked at the cost, so haven't checked out.

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, meil said:

I have one - this is what they sent:

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately as this was placed on your personal account we are unable to despatch the items to you.

If you can re place the order under a business name then we would send them out to you however.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards

Centre Of Expertise - Blocked Order Agent

I may try and make it a "business account" at some point but couldn't be bothered at the time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Deano said:

Screen shot of the order

382A491F-747C-47B1-94E1-5AE89D16E8D8.jpeg

Interesting.

I can't find it amongst their stock.

Must be for discerning gentlemen and kept under the counter in a plain brown wrapper:jester:

• Funny 6

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Interesting.

I can't find it amongst their stock.

Must be for discerning gentlemen and kept under the counter in a plain brown wrapper:jester:

I’ve  just checked too and it isn’t there.  Might have sold out due to lockdown DIY etc. Might be worth keeping an eye open for it.

Toolstation has it described as "for professional use only" at a princely £3.97 for 100 gm. Although described as professional use only, I see many of the reviewers describe themselves as "DiYers".

They will not deliver it - perhaps there is some check on collection.

Search for "soldering irons" which gets you to this solder. Searching "solder" produces a large quantity of plumbing consumables