Harzer Schmalspurbahn in 2003.

Evening All,

In October, 2003, I went on a trip to the HSB where I took miles of video tape footage.  I'm now in the process of digitalising this footage and breaking it down into bite-sized instalments; the first part is now on my new YouTube channel and if you'd like to have a look, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNO6ytOlWRw&t=6s

Hope it's of interest.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ron,  I’ve just watched both parts, very enjoyable.  I’ve not seen two railcars working together before. Interesting to see the standard gauge wagons on transporters too. Thanks for sharing them.

I’ve had several trips there, first one when it was still East Germany with my cine camera, while my last one (also a Ffestiniog Travel Trip) was in winter with plenty of snow and I got some of my best video so far.  Both are on my Vimeo channel.

On 24/11/2020 at 08:05, eastwestdivide said:

What was the story with the railcar stopping on the crossing in part 1 about 13m30s. Looks like the driver was about to get out and have a word?

It was stopping to pick up the tour party, including me, as we'd all got out to take piccies.  It then reversed down the line a bit so that we could film and phot it in motion coming round the curve.

• Thanks 1

On 24/11/2020 at 19:15, ColinK said:

Hi Ron,  I’ve just watched both parts, very enjoyable.  I’ve not seen two railcars working together before. Interesting to see the standard gauge wagons on transporters too. Thanks for sharing them.

I’ve had several trips there, first one when it was still East Germany with my cine camera, while my last one (also a Ffestiniog Travel Trip) was in winter with plenty of snow and I got some of my best video so far.  Both are on my Vimeo channel.

My first trip there was in 1971, so also in Iron Curtain days.  The 2003 trip was my second one, and I've been meaning to go back again ever since.  I might even have made it this year if you-know-what hadn't got in the way.

No doubt Ffestiniog Travel will be pleased to welcome us back once they are able to do so.

Edited by 45669
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Morning All,

Part Three of this video is now on YouTube.  It takes us from Eisfelder Talmühle to Drei Annen Hohne in a special train hauled by a vintage diesel railcar.  From Drei Annen Hohne we take the Brocken line behind one of the 0-4-4-0 Mallet Tanks.  This video ends at Goetheweg, but will be continued...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AerJwcXoZSQ

Hope you like it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I put the fourth part of my 2003 Harz video on YouTube earlier today.  If anyone would like to have a look, here's the link:

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669
Re-did the link.
  • Like 1

I hope it is allowed to add to this thread. I went to the Harz in 2011, 2012 and 2014.

28 May 2011: The locomotives were prepared in station "Wernigerode"; Ride of 1-E-1 tank locomotive (plan trip) and two Mallet B-B tender locomotives (special trip with the traditional train) on the Brocken; Departure from the station Wenigerode Westerntor in the direction of Drei Annen Hohne, arrival at the station in the "Wernigerode"; May 29th: Arrival at Eisfelder Tahlmuhle station from train to Brocken.

End of June 2012 in Oberwiesenthal and Moritzburg (750 mm gauge) and Drei Annen Hohne (1000 mm gauge).

On June 29th 2014: Arrival at train station Wernigerode Westerntor from direction Drei Annen Hohne, On June 30th: Arrival and departure, train station Drei Annen Hohne from train to Brocken.

Regards

Fred

• Like 2

No problem Fred, add away!  When Herr Covid allows us to travel around again, another trip to the Harz is well up my 'to do' list.  And I hope to get better results with a digital camera than I did in 2003 with a VHS camcorder!

Ron. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Afternoon All,

If anyone would like have a look, part six of my 2003 HSB video is now on YouTube.  Taken on the Sunday, it shows a special train on the Selketalbhn.  This was, initially, double headed by Mallet 0-4-4-0T 99 5901 and 0-6-0T 99 6101, but the Mallet came off at Eisfelder Talmühle leaving the 0-6-0T to do the honours for the rest of the day.  However, this did enable a parallel departure from Eisfelder Talmühle which we were able to film and photograph where the two lines diverge.

Hope it's of interest:

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Evening All,

The final part of my 2003 video shot on a trip to the HSB is now on my YouTube channel.  It features 0-6-0T 99 6101 on the Selketalbahn so I hope you'll like it - but it contained an error so I have replaced it.  See the next post done for a link to the corrected version.

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669
  • Thanks 1

Morning All,

Sharp eyed viewers might have noticed my (not) deliberate mistake!  This has now been corrected and the amended version is here:

TTFN,

Ron.

Edited by 45669

On 26/04/2021 at 15:01, Oldddudders said:

Didn't I see that earlier? With Mägdesprung as the furthest north point?

Yes; there was a stupid (senior moment!) mistake in the title sequence and the only way I could find of correcting it was to re-edit the video, delete it from YouTube and replace it with the re-edited version.  If there's a way of replacing a video on YouTube without deleting it and putting the corrected version on in it's place, I've yet to find it.

Ron.