Cheap and Cheerful 6-wheeled GWR Coach

Nice conversion but you would make it easier for yourself by cutting the two bodies slightly differently, using the RH door lines. That way there's no join across body panels that need smoothing. You will end up with a slight zig-zag on the floor of the coach where each split coach has one side longer than the other, but that will hardly notice or could be covered over if an interior is fitted.

HornbySplice.jpg.7da2499fc31c70a4b21752025922223c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got so many bashed 6 wheelers that after years of trying to find a happy compramises I've taken what some people might see as the cowards way out and for the sake of reliable running I now build all my six wheelers with a flangless center axle and am in the process of converting all existing stock as well.

I'm aware of it obviously but with all the under frame detail and the foot boards this type of carriage often have its hard to see this detail and when running see it even less.

• Agree 1

Word of warning the style of paneling on LNWR carriages is like no other and is near impossible to make from cutting and shutting any RTR carriages. I'm not sure how the Ratio LNWR carriages lend themselves to converting to 6 wheelers one would have to look and see.

Edited by Londontram
Add info

35 minutes ago, Londontram said:

I'm not sure how the Ratio LNWR carriages lend themselves to converting to 6 wheelers one would have to look and see.

The compartment side is not too bad for splicing, but the corridor side isn't very useful unless you were looking to make some kind of saloon perhaps.

The bottom three coaches in the photo (marked 7) in this post are Ratio showing how different the corridor side is.

G'day everyone,

Thanks for all your interest.

LNWR18901910 was interested in whether the Bachmann Emily coaches could be converted into LNWR ones. I am not familiar with the design details of the latter,  so I just don't know. The mouldings are rather chunky, as seen in the image above of the one I repainted into GNR colours. The clerestory roof comes off easily, making a plain roof easy to achieve. I reused the windows that came with the ones I repainted into GNR colours, but replaced them in the GWR  repaint.

I wish you well with your 6-wheelers.

Regards,

Rob

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RosiesBoss said:

G'day everyone,

Thanks for all your interest.

LNWR18901910 was interested in whether the Bachmann Emily coaches could be converted into LNWR ones. I am not familiar with the design details of the latter,  so I just don't know. The mouldings are rather chunky, as seen in the image above of the one I repainted into GNR colours. The clerestory roof comes off easily, making a plain roof easy to achieve. I reused the windows that came with the ones I repainted into GNR colours, but replaced them in the GWR  repaint.

I wish you well with your 6-wheelers.

Regards,

Rob

Ta very much, mate! I think I'll give it a shot and get some coaches.