Rainy day in Leeds

L49

Hello all. This is a bit of a random post, but I was wondering whether anyone remembers or ever got any photos of this layout. I remember considering it to be absolutely iconic when it appeared in Railway Modeller, probably in the early to mid 90s, and I remember seeing it only once at an exhibition. I have tried googling it, and I have had a look through this group here to see if anyone has made mention if it before, but I have drawn a complete blank. I just want to see it again ti see if it was amazing as I remember.

I well remember that layout in RM and it did strike a chord having travelled on Leeds trams back in the 50s. Unfortunately I've been having a clear out recently which appears to have included that magazine!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As Barry says most of the layout is no more. The depot however has got a new home to go to once we are out of the current restrictions. 

I do have the buildings and the trams. At the moment there are no plans to build another tram layout as I am now building a part of the Hunslet works in O gauge and this is a massive project and will take many years. 

But as requested please see attached several photos of the layout taken at several shows over the years. 

LEEDS TRAMS 2a.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 11.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 33.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 20.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 9a.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 18a.jpg

PIC00004.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 14a.jpg

PA280225.JPG

PA280205.JPG

P4240051a.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
On 04/12/2020 at 18:26, Trams and Locos said:

As Barry says most of the layout is no more. The depot however has got a new home to go to once we are out of the current restrictions. 

I do have the buildings and the trams. At the moment there are no plans to build another tram layout as I am now building a part of the Hunslet works in O gauge and this is a massive project and will take many years. 

But as requested please see attached several photos of the layout taken at several shows over the years. 

LEEDS TRAMS 2a.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 11.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 33.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 20.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 9a.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 18a.jpg

PIC00004.jpg

LEEDS TRAMS 14a.jpg

PA280225.JPG

PA280205.JPG

P4240051a.jpg

Hi

would you mind talking us through the kits you have used.  I presume the hirsfield and the felham arecBec...  A Middleton? I am probably just out of touch.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

The Horsfields are EFE die cast models that we motorised. Most with Tenshodo bogies but one had a Black Beatle.

Middleton Bogies, Lance Corporals, Railcars 601and 602 are all Tramalan kits. The bogie ones have Tramalan under frame kits which we modified adding bearings, drive shafts and DS10 motors. The Ex Hull cars are ABS kits. The Felthams that ran on the layout were from Tower Models plastic kits. I did also motorise a Corgi one and still have some of these to do if I ever build another layout. There is also an ex Southampton Dome which is from a very old Varney kit. 

600 and 301 and the HR2 are scratch built. 

I think that is them all. 

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2020 at 21:13, L49 said:

Hello all. This is a bit of a random post, but I was wondering whether anyone remembers or ever got any photos of this layout. I remember considering it to be absolutely iconic when it appeared in Railway Modeller, probably in the early to mid 90s, and I remember seeing it only once at an exhibition. I have tried googling it, and I have had a look through this group here to see if anyone has made mention if it before, but I have drawn a complete blank. I just want to see it again ti see if it was amazing as I remember.

'Rainy day in Leeds'  Railway Modeller 1994 April

'Another rainy day in Leeds' Railway Modeller 1996 October.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Trams and Locos said:

Hi 

The Horsfields are EFE die cast models that we motorised. Most with Tenshodo bogies but one had a Black Beatle.

Middleton Bogies, Lance Corporals, Railcars 601and 602 are all Tramalan kits. The bogie ones have Tramalan under frame kits which we modified adding bearings, drive shafts and DS10 motors. The Ex Hull cars are ABS kits. The Felthams that ran on the layout were from Tower Models plastic kits. I did also motorise a Corgi one and still have some of these to do if I ever build another layout. There is also an ex Southampton Dome which is from a very old Varney kit. 

600 and 301 and the HR2 are scratch built. 

I think that is them all. 

Andy

Pilcher?

Baz

• 2 years later...

Reading the Rainy Day in Leeds article in RM back in the day inspired me to have a go... used a Tower Models plastic Feltham kit and a Bachmann Brill trolley chassis, was a surprisingly easy conversion. when I first tested it I had no tram track so used a dog-bone of Triang Super4 track leading through a Minic Motorway double level crossing and was trying to dodge the Minic motorway Jaguar S-type while running in the tram. to at least get a feel for what it would look like.....

didnt envy those of you who did tramway modelling back when the only options were whitemetal kits and build-it-yourself chassis...

• Like 3

such a great layout, I do still have the RM Articles, I do try to collect tram layout articles when I can. I have photos of the depot layout at Kew I think it was. I am still tramway modelling but it has got a little easier I must admit.

tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I also did an article on the Headingley Depot section of the layout in the Railway Modeller - October 2007.

Hear a few photos as well. 

1628317078_TowerModelsFelthamnegotiatesthecrossoveroutsidethedepot.jpg.6426e4f790c0ec5b16bd3ff886b19fe7.jpg

869108903_TheEtchedWindowsintheDepotBuilding.JPG.15b72df62728227deac796eb7be0db89.JPG

1149710583_HR2278scratchbuiltbyAndyMorrisExitsthedepot.jpg.a215aa9b51108ca46a41793025955b31.jpg

755829788_justInsidethedepotdoor.jpg.56926b7524fae4ce20799ed642c48c72.jpg

As I have said before we still have most of the trams but there is no current plans to build another layout while I am on with the Hunslet project. 

But it is good to look back at the pictures. 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1