Modelling the ATSF in 1970 in HO

• RMweb Premium

Keith.

That looks like a 'work of art', very satisfying for you, methinks.

Keep up the good work, reminds me I should get on with mine once the NMRABR Renewals are all done and dusted!!!!

Cheers.

James.

• Thanks 1

It was supposed to look like this: Cumbres Section House Signal  (which I recognise isn't a Santa Fe design anyway). 

That didn't have the funky little light either.

Other questions:

Does the main track go past the depot to other stations to the left or is this supposed to be the "end of the line"?

At one point you called the yard an "interchange" yard, what railroad are you interchanging to?

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, dave1905 said:

That didn't have the funky little light either.

Other questions:

Does the main track go past the depot to other stations to the left or is this supposed to be the "end of the line"?

At one point you called the yard an "interchange" yard, what railroad are you interchanging to?

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply.

With regards to my ‘Cakebox’ model I’m afraid I’ve not studied Signalling or Train Order Boards, so am bound to make mistakes.  From looking at the photo and accompanying drawing of the example at Cumbres I referenced (called a ‘Harrington’ pattern in the accompanying text), it looked like there was a lens protruding above the pivot that would align with a light on the mast when in the horizontal position?  Part of the problem is my photos can make it look like a separate light.

As for the track plan, it was the intention with that idea that the line would continue off to the left past the Depot, an idea I got looking at the Sanborn maps of Alma in Kansas.  I think the railroad the Santa Fe interchanged with there was the CRIP, which would be the most likely candidate for the model - based on discussion earlier in the thread and the proximity of the lines in the area I’m looking at (most notably at Ardmore, where we have your photos of the Depot that originally served both railroads, albeit one on each side in that case).

My plan had to go through a further iteration, which dropped the interchange when I shortened the station boards.  Subsequent to that, tests carrying things up and down our attic room stairs highlighted a problem with the length and weight of some of my boards when negotiating a steep dog leg, so I’ve paused this project for now and am looking at something more compact in Narrow Gauge in the interim.  It remains a long-term project.

• Like 1