Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

8 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

You know you really want a threesome.  Why not order a grey one as well to complete the set.....

Just a thought.

But to make a full set I would also need a lined green one!

I mean, the blue livery is only a distant possibility at this time!

And before anyone suggests I repaint one, I am not that brave yet!!

Steve S

On 04/12/2020 at 10:20, James Hilton said:

With a varied career in military and industrial service, the Kerr Stuart Victory class wore a number of liveries. For modellers it is also very suitable for freelance applications; alternative industrial uses or even survival to preservation-era layouts.

I have read a story in another forum that there was an attempt to preserve one of the 'Victory's, but this fell through when a building was demolished on top of the loco at a South Wales colliery. Does anyone have a clue which of the 'Victory's it was? Given their locations I suspect it would be one of the two Aberaman engines - 18 and 19 (formerly IW&D 10 and 15) were scrapped as late as 1969.

Edited by MattA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Victory alleged subject of an unsuccessful preservation attempt was the last survivor KS 3066 at Aberaman, scrapped between August 1971 and May 1972. Some of us who were admirers of FRANCIS KS 3068 at Walkden did ask for tender documents from the NCB when 'he' was withdrawn in 1968 but, from failing memory of fifty years ago, the firebox was in poor condition and attention was turned elsewhere. Incidentally so far as I am aware FRANCIS only ran in lined black livery whilst fitted with a normal chimney. The red livery lined yellow was applied when the Giesl chimney arrangement was fitted around 1965.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, H16LSWR said:

Incidentally so far as I am aware FRANCIS only ran in lined black livery whilst fitted with a normal chimney. The red livery lined yellow was applied when the Giesl chimney arrangement was fitted around 1965.

Not too bothered about reality (after all, it's still a toy train at the end of the day), I would prefer my lined red one to have a proper chimney.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've just heard that the Victory engineering sample is ready and due to leave China tomorrow. Very excited to receive it and share updates with you all - more to come soon!

Meanwhile pre-orders are still open at our introductory discount price (with deposit)

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/victory-variants

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

From the email

Hot off the plane from the factory is our working sample model, (commonly known as the Engineering Prototype) of the RTR Kerr, Stuart "Victory" in 00 gauge.

This is a hand-finished example, made from the all the metal and plastic tooling parts that will eventually be put into mass production, to check everything fits together and the mechanism performs as expected.

One thing that has struck us immediately is how hefty and well engineered the model feels. It's a large loco, around the size of a 57xx Pannier and considerably bigger than the Hornby B2 Peckett which might be your benchmark for a six-coupled industrial. It tips the scales at 237 grams and details like the coupling rods have a convincing thickness - these are solid metal castings rather than thin stampings or etchings.

https://www.planetindustrials.co.uk/

Edited by Davidjsmith
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for sharing @Davidjsmith. We'll always keep this thread updated but we like to give our email subscribers the first look!

51096419667_7223945bec_c.jpg

51096868688_08bee2886e_c.jpg

51096326201_2cdfae00d6_c.jpg

In terms of additional liveries, we are close to signing off the decoration design for the four current liveries but further variants are possible. I would recommend keeping an eye open...

As a reminder, you can still secure a discounted price with a £30 deposit (or pay in full) or reserve a model for free and pay the full price on delivery. We will close this pre-order scheme when we sign off decorated samples for production, so there won't be much more time to take advantage of this offer.

Links are below to each livery version on the Light Railway Stores online marketplace:

fe20b219-9d41-406b-9b2e-506f75de5887.png

Pre-order in black at Light Railway Stores

9d54951d-bd71-4396-8283-922972792ed2.png

Pre-order in lined grey at Light Railway Stores

836f74d2-6189-48fd-a88c-b43035bd4892.png

Pre-order in lined green at Light Railway Stores

2696834c-ea15-463a-a612-84c7c0a5e44d.png

Pre-order in lined maroon at Light Railway Stores

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, sc2016 said:

Hi @cornelius

Just a quick question with this lined grey version has it got the IW&D Branding on both sides or have it got Victory writing on one side?

Thanks,

Samuel.

This version has IW&D No.12 on each tank side. It will also feature a lined grey chassis as well, not shown in this initial mock up...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James Hilton said:

This version has IW&D No.12 on each tank side. It will also feature a lined grey chassis as well, not shown in this initial mock up...

@James HiltonThanks for responding very quickly back to me it looks like it will be a very nice model going by the EP you've shown. Hopefully i may be able to purchase one even though they didn't seem to venture in the far south west. Do you know roughly when the pre order price disappears i know that you have said soon but i wasn't to sure on how close that would be?

Thanks,

Samuel.

• Like 1

My order went in for a green one which will end up as EKR 4 to give company to my EKR 5. Since EKR 5  is preserved on the Bluebell (albeit never in EKR livery), this will be a flight of fancy EKR 4 getting preserved too (or some group making a modern day replica) pulling my collection of EKR coal field wagons through Sheffield Park.

Both are sound fitted so it should make a show. 

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, cornelius said:

51096868688_08bee2886e_c.jpg

The couplings look as if they are drooping to one side under their own weight in this picture, which hints that they may not have a centring action which is strong enough. (Hints of the Dapol coupling style.) It would be nice if they stuck out a little less. Other than that, the EPs look very good.

• Like 2

Yeah I tend to agree about the coupling mounting. NEM Couplings where the loop part sticks out for more than a few mm past the buffers is one thing that gets me.

On some loco's maybe like the design of the 16xx chassis it's unavoidable but here there's loads of room to put it back a bit if possible. 

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

This looks promising - I wonder though, are the buffers a tad too long? 

The sprung-ness of the buffers is one thing on our snagging list (they're currently a bit stiff) so we'll look at the overall size as well.

8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The couplings look as if they are drooping to one side under their own weight in this picture, which hints that they may not have a centring action which is strong enough. (Hints of the Dapol coupling style.) It would be nice if they stuck out a little less. Other than that, the EPs look very good.

The current coupling springing is a bit loose, the overall height is also possibly a bit low (or it droops forward) so we're looking at whether this is a design or assembly issue. The projection of the coupling looks a bit more exaggerated than reality in the photo from below due to the perspective, I agree there might be a little bit of space to move it back if we need to but the main body fixing screws are immediately behind the coupling so we need to leave enough room to access those around the brake rodding.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, sc2016 said:

Do you know roughly when the pre order price disappears i know that you have said soon but i wasn't to sure on how close that would be?

If everything stays on schedule we are expecting decorated samples and then sign off around the end of May.

• Like 1