Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

Congratulations on the Engineering Prototype, very impressive! I note someone has queried the length of the buffer housings and looking at prototype photographs it is difficult to be sure, perhaps the result of  perspective distortion?  3068 and 3074 both had their buffers changed to a different pattern later in life. The IW&D version duly ordered this morning and I look forward to further updates.

• Like 1

The Engineering prototype looks great and I am glad I have ordered two.

The one thing that sticks out to me is the join in the cab sides at the rivet seam. It looks overdone to me and should be a little less obvious. The dome and chimney are very nice and being moulded as part of the boiler (?) has given them a nicely refined flare and join with the boiler.

Well done, this is looking very promising indeed.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2

I’ve just weighed a couple of locos and the weight is good.  Are the tanks full of weight inside?  How much space is there for decoder, stay-alive and speaker?  Yes I’ve already ordered a DCC sound one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Penrhos1920 said:

I’ve just weighed a couple of locos and the weight is good.  Are the tanks full of weight inside?  How much space is there for decoder, stay-alive and speaker?  Yes I’ve already ordered a DCC sound one.

Unbelievably the tanks are hollow! There is plenty of space!

• Like 1

Just a thought- could the securing screws be underneath the couplers- ie you carefully prise the couplers out of their triangular sockets to get at the body screws.

Other manufacturers have done this successfully and ham fisted me hasn't broken one yet taking bodies off to fit DCC....

Les

With regard to coupling positions, I’m sure you are aware of the NEM standards but a link just in case and/or for others information:

https://www.morop.org/index.php/en/nem-the-norms.html

They are not all accessible in English from there though. 

The OO gauge Association website has information on the NEM 362 standard that might help:

http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm
and a link to the actual standard in french.  No doubt others can find a comprehensive listing in languages other than English, if they need to!

Morning. Only came across these at the weekend. They look good. Will the livery samples be available to view before pre-orders close? I only ask as the grey one looks stunning with the black chassis, but I fear I might not be as keen on a grey chassis! Also, did you make any decision on including the transfers to re-number to 11 on this model? Thanks.

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

What standard are the wheels?  I think you said RP25-93 in the video, but your website says RP25-110.  I’d prefer 93.

The specification for the loco is RP25-110 - I'll ask James to check what's in the video.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Fireline said:

Morning. Only came across these at the weekend. They look good. Will the livery samples be available to view before pre-orders close? I only ask as the grey one looks stunning with the black chassis, but I fear I might not be as keen on a grey chassis! Also, did you make any decision on including the transfers to re-number to 11 on this model? Thanks.

Yes we will show the livery samples, although it will likely be a "last chance to pre-order" situation as we will want to sign off for production as soon as we can. The model will be available from stock afterwards but the pre-order discount will end.

We can look at transfer packs for other numbers, perhaps you are aware that IW&D 11 was one of the locos built with a taller cab so not strictly correct for our tooling.

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

Yes we will show the livery samples, although it will likely be a "last chance to pre-order" situation as we will want to sign off for production as soon as we can. The model will be available from stock afterwards but the pre-order discount will end.

We can look at transfer packs for other numbers, perhaps you are aware that IW&D 11 was one of the locos built with a taller cab so not strictly correct for our tooling.

Thanks for that. Yes, I was aware that it wasn't quite the right cab, but I'm not bothered by things like that. :)

On 13/04/2021 at 17:58, Wickham Green too said:

I seem to recall mention of a possible cab conversion kit - at some time in the distant future ....... has there been any more though on this ? - for the minority of us who are bothered by things like that !

And transfers to do the actual locos that used these base colours (EKR no. 4 for the green one for example).

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2021 at 16:58, Wickham Green too said:

I seem to recall mention of a possible cab conversion kit - at some time in the distant future ....... has there been any more though on this ? - for the minority of us who are bothered by things like that !

On 18/04/2021 at 20:42, JSpencer said:

And transfers to do the actual locos that used these base colours (EKR no. 4 for the green one for example).

Yep, both of these are still on the radar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Last month we showed you the completed EP (engineering prototype) of our Kerr, Stuart "Victory" in 00 gauge. We've carefully assessed this model and given our feedback to the factory, and at the same time we have been working to sign off the decoration artwork for all four of the livery variants.

Based on our assessment and your feedback we have asked for the couplings to be moved inboard slightly (approx 1mm each end which is the maximum that could be accommodated without getting in the way of the body fixing screws) and also for the prominence of the panel join on the upper cab side to be reduced.

The means that the decorated samples can now be produced, and once we've received and approved these we can give the go ahead for the Victory to be put into production.

Please note that on all liveries, the wheel tyres, rods and motion will be blackened. The illustration style used by the factory indicates them in their raw material.

51181377125_287a0ab0d3_c.jpg

PI-001-A • Plain Black

An all-over black and otherwise undecorated livery intended to act as a base for your freelance industrial colour scheme. Of course it looks pretty good just as it is, too!

51179597827_4e31495eeb_c.jpg

PI-001-B • Lined grey, I W & D 12

This WWI-era livery is the most complicated of the variants, and we've closely studied period photos to get it right. Featuring white/black/white lining on a grey base, carefully recreated tank side and bufferbeam lettering, and a fully lined chassis. We think this one is going to look stunning!

51180280261_1c833d368b_c.jpg

PI-001-C • Lined green

Our second freelance livery, this smartly decorated grass green lined in straw would look the part in an industrial or light railway setting. The painted wheels and lined cylinders finish it off below the footplate.

51180503283_6cc9d5e00c_c.jpg

PI-001-D • Lined maroon

Again lined in straw, our maroon livery is inspired by "Francis" which worked at Astley Green colliery. The flame red coupling and connecting rods add an extra pop of colour around the motion.

----

Just to remind you, we'll be closing our discount pre-order scheme once production starts so you only have a few more weeks to secure your model with this offer.

Pre-order now at Light Railway Stores

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2021 at 15:48, cornelius said:

James has put together a short video of the EP in action on his colliery layout, Pont-y-Dulais

How refreshing to see such a well-running RTR loco. Who could possibly not find a place for one of these?

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

How refreshing to see such a well-running RTR loco. Who could possibly not find a place for one of these?

Can we take ut that you have, mein Kapitan ? 

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Can we take ut that you have, mein Kapitan ? 

Jawohl! 

But I am most interested in the feasibility of conversion to P4. Hopefully this will not be too difficult.

May I ask, Planet chaps, what is the axle diameter on this little chap, please?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Could we see a picture of the mechanism with the top removed please?

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

This can be seen in the video posted above, around the 1 minute mark.

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

May I ask, Planet chaps, what is the axle diameter on this little chap, please?

Will check up on this Cap'n, and get back to you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have pre-ordered an example......I lay the blame entirely at the door of the Captain. 

I thank you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I too have succumbed, to a plain black one, on the strength of the video, though I'm not sure what I'll do with it when it arrives.

One option is to ignore the cab height (if I can't pluck up the nerve to alter it) and unilaterally (as in Rule One) extend the life of the ex-EKR one further into BR days....

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1