Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find any mention of the sound project that is to go into these, despite a sound-fitted version being offered. It obviously won't be a brand new project, recorded from the real thing, so will be it be made from various existing recordings of similar locos, or will it be a brand new project, made especially and from a single loco?

What system/manufacturer will be decoders be?

This is a very valid question that deserves a timely response in my opinion, seeing as the delivery is relatively imminent ( next few months) also I’d like to know what speaker is likely to be used or indeed what provision is made in the chassis block etc. 
    I’m sorely tempted to order AT LEAST 2 in their various incarnations but the lack of information on the above matters is stopping me from ordering and paying up-front. 

• RMweb Gold
On 06/04/2021 at 20:20, James Hilton said:

Unbelievably the tanks are hollow! There is plenty of space!

James answered the space question on the previous page and the internal block is shown the video posted. 
Screenshot of internal. 

6146AFED-2064-48B3-9884-1C707968E74A.jpeg.0c254e10e61a2c44cba6ff5476137a07.jpeg

28 minutes ago, rsh7684 said:

This is a very valid question that deserves a timely response in my opinion, seeing as the delivery is relatively imminent ( next few months) also I’d like to know what speaker is likely to be used or indeed what provision is made in the chassis block etc. 
    I’m sorely tempted to order AT LEAST 2 in their various incarnations but the lack of information on the above matters is stopping me from ordering and paying up-front. 

I’m sure they enjoy demands at 9pm at night. A rather demanding way to ask for a response and shouting in caps when a polite question would do?

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

By kind permission of Minerva Models we are planning to use the sound project from their 7mm loco, resynchronised for the smaller scale. We'll be fitting Zimo chips in the Next18 socket, a speaker will be be pre-fitted to all models.

An update on the decorated samples is imminent, hopefully around the end of next week. Our discounted pre-order scheme will close shortly after the reveal.

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

1 hour ago, cornelius said:

By kind permission of Minerva Models we are planning to use the sound project from their 7mm loco, resynchronised for the smaller scale. We'll be fitting Zimo chips in the Next18 socket, a speaker will be be pre-fitted to all models.

Thanks. Do you know what the Minerva recordings were done from? I have ordered a Victory,and I use DCC sound, but I didn't want to order a sound-fitted one not knowing anything about what was going in it.

Will the sound project be made available, or the decoder with it loaded on be made available as a retro-fit by users?

On 22/07/2021 at 21:49, PaulRhB said:

James answered the space question on the previous page and the internal block is shown the video posted. 
Screenshot of internal. 

6146AFED-2064-48B3-9884-1C707968E74A.jpeg.0c254e10e61a2c44cba6ff5476137a07.jpeg

I’m sure they enjoy demands at 9pm at night. A rather demanding way to ask for a response and shouting in caps when a polite question would do?

Seeing as it’s now after 9pm, @PaulRhB, am I allowed to post or comment? Not that it has anything to do with you anyway but I post as and when my father/family duties allow. 
    There was no demand whatsoever-just a simple statement of fact to the effect that @Ruston’s question deserved a quick (in comparison to what seems the PI norm.) I respectfully refer you to the current thread where @Captain Kernowasked for information over a month ago with no response, as was clearly demonstrated by his additional request 3 days ago, and also a question posed on the 22nd of April on the thread below this one that has still not received any response from the PI folk. 
   From my own personal point of view, I WANT TO BUY ( see what I did there?) products from this company, but, only if I have the necessary details to make an informed decision. You wouldn’t want to but a car, for instance, without knowing if it’s diesel or petrol powered would you? 
    Now, yes, @corneliusdid respond to @Rustonpromptly BUT still did not answer/dodged the question of what the sound file actually is. Yes he said that it is the same one that has been used by Minerva Models but what exactly is that from? Do you get my drift? 

Edited by rsh7684
Typo

• RMweb Gold

I simply suggested a more friendly tone but hey ho. 
I also pm’d Cornelius to check if he’d noticed Tim’s request this week as it’s easy to miss or forget when it’s run in their spare time on the side to main jobs and family. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

50 minutes ago, rsh7684 said:

Seeing as it’s now after 9pm, @PaulRhB, am I allowed to post or comment? Not that it has anything to do with you anyway but I post as and when my father/family duties allow. 
    There was no demand whatsoever-just a simple statement of fact to the effect that @Ruston’s question deserved a quick (in comparison to what seems the PI norm.) I respectfully refer you to the current thread where @Captain Kernowasked for information over a month ago with no response, as was clearly demonstrated by his additional request 3 days ago, and also a question posed on the 22nd of April on the thread below this one that has still not received any response from the PI folk. 
   From my own personal point of view, I WANT TO BUY ( see what I did there?) products from this company, but, only if I have the necessary details to make an informed decision. You wouldn’t want to but a car, for instance, without knowing if it’s diesel or petrol powered would you? 
    Now, yes, @corneliusdid respond to @Rustonpromptly BUT still did not answer/dodged the question of what the sound file actually is. Yes he said that it is the same one that has been used by Minerva Models but what exactly is that from? Do you get my drift? 

I've had prompt responses* from the PI team via direct email; maybe they don't check this thread every day? Just saying...

Steve S

* Not about any of the questions posed here, I hasten to add before anyone asks!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rsh7684 said:

My dealings with PI have been fine. 

I have to say that the tone of your post is somewhat petulant and adds nothing to the thread. 

I appreciate the point you make but there is a way of doing it and this does not appear to be it. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Similarly, my time to browse the forum is constrained by family and day job duties. James is also on holiday at the moment, so I'm preparing the decorated sample update in the spare time I do have.

My apologies to the Captain, a response to his initial query about the axle size slipped my mind, and this time around I have had to wait for an opportune moment to check the CAD and a model as I don't hold all of these details in my head. The axle diameter is 3mm and the design also features a shoulder to aid pressing the wheels to gauge - see attachment to this post.

Regarding the sound project, the information I currently have is that it was a custom creation for Minerva by Paul Chetter. Chris Basten of Minerva is also on holiday (bad time of year for it) so any further updates will have to wait until I can catch up with him. Ownership of the project remains with Minerva and there is no intention to make it available separately.

Happy to field any other questions, but please give me a chance to respond.

Screenshot 2021-07-27 at 23.56.33.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

8 hours ago, cornelius said:

Similarly, my time to browse the forum is constrained by family and day job duties. James is also on holiday at the moment, so I'm preparing the decorated sample update in the spare time I do have.

My apologies to the Captain, a response to his initial query about the axle size slipped my mind, and this time around I have had to wait for an opportune moment to check the CAD and a model as I don't hold all of these details in my head. The axle diameter is 3mm and the design also features a shoulder to aid pressing the wheels to gauge - see attachment to this post.

Regarding the sound project, the information I currently have is that it was a custom creation for Minerva by Paul Chetter. Chris Basten of Minerva is also on holiday (bad time of year for it) so any further updates will have to wait until I can catch up with him. Ownership of the project remains with Minerva and there is no intention to make it available separately.

Happy to field any other questions, but please give me a chance to respond.

Paul Chetter, eh? That’s very good news.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, cornelius said:

The axle diameter is 3mm and the design also features a shoulder to aid pressing the wheels to gauge - see attachment to this post

Thanks for that, Cornelius.

3mm sounds like a conversion to P4 might be feasible, using 1/8" axles.

There was an interesting article in MRJ recently, about the conversion of a (new) Bachmann J72 to P4, which involved opening brass bearings and the worm drive from 3mm to 1/8" and substituting Alan Gibson wheels.

I am hoping that this kind of conversion might be possible here, as well.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, cornelius said:

Thanks. Is it possible to change my order to a sound-fitted one instead? I'm not being funny, or awkward, and I would email, but although I send them at this end and they never seem to arrive at your end.

11 hours ago, cornelius said:

The axle diameter is 3mm and the design also features a shoulder to aid pressing the wheels to gauge - see attachment to this post.

Thanks for these details.  From the chassis images, I'm half hoping for EM gauge that I may just be able to pull the wheels out to gauge, perhaps spacing out the cylinders slightly (and I suspect replacing or modifying the motion plate).

However, I'm intrigued by the design shown above.  It appears to be a 3mm axle, with shoulders at each end, against which the wheels are pressed (excellent idea - I have often wondered why this isn't more common practice).  However, between the shoulders, the axle appears to drop back down to 3mm, so how are the gears and bearings fitted, as they are shown with a 3mm bore which obviously won't go over the shoulders... have I missed something clever? (Suspect so)

Cheers

Alastair

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Thanks. Is it possible to change my order to a sound-fitted one instead? I'm not being funny, or awkward, and I would email, but although I send them at this end and they never seem to arrive at your end.

No problem, will update this now and it should email you a confirmation.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, clarkea1 said:

However, I'm intrigued by the design shown above.  It appears to be a 3mm axle, with shoulders at each end, against which the wheels are pressed (excellent idea - I have often wondered why this isn't more common practice).  However, between the shoulders, the axle appears to drop back down to 3mm, so how are the gears and bearings fitted, as they are shown with a 3mm bore which obviously won't go over the shoulders... have I missed something clever? (Suspect so)

Definitely a good question! The axle itself is shouldered and the end part with the gauge-setting shoulder is pressed on after the gears (rear axle only) and bearings are added. The inner circle you can see on the end of the axle is the smaller diameter of the complete axle. There is also a separate "hub cap" which fits on the outside once the wheel is on.

Although our focus with the Victory is to produce a well-performing 00 gauge loco as our first attempt at RTR, we'll be interested to hear of any success or challenges in EM/P4 conversion in case we can make any passive provision on future projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cornelius said:

Definitely a good question! The axle itself is shouldered and the end part with the gauge-setting shoulder is pressed on after the gears (rear axle only) and bearings are added. The inner circle you can see on the end of the axle is the smaller diameter of the complete axle. There is also a separate "hub cap" which fits on the outside once the wheel is on.

Although our focus with the Victory is to produce a well-performing 00 gauge loco as our first attempt at RTR, we'll be interested to hear of any success or challenges in EM/P4 conversion in case we can make any passive provision on future projects.

As I thought, something clever!

Thanks for explaining.

Cheers

Alastair

48 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I was being sensible and ordered an unlined black one but the lined green one now looks especially appealing.

I was being sensible and ordered a grey one because it struck me as the most authentic but the red one now looks especially appealing and it is authentic too. Oh dear! I might have to dig deep!

I have also received an e-mail with pictures of decorated samples and they look superb. Something went slightly wrong with the grey one, PI says, because the grey boiler barrel has a metallic finish. Good practice, I say, for the Glasgow and Sou’ Western Baltic tank!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The decorated sample models are here...

033690c3-5394-e641-501a-f40a423014a5.jpg

Back in April we showed you the first Engineering Prototype of our RTR Kerr, Stuart "Victory" in 00 gauge. Since then the factory has been working on our feedback and preparing new samples with the final livery decoration for sign off. We're excited to show these to you today, and we hope you agree that they're looking great!

We made a couple of minor cosmetic changes to the body after the EP (let us know if you spot them!) but most tweaks have been in the chassis and mechanism to ensure optimal performance of the production models. Each of the decorated samples is a running model, so we've been track testing them as well as reviewing the livery detail. We're pleased to say that the Victory is a smooth, confident runner, with the gearing optimised to be controllable at slow speeds ideal for shunting and industrial use. Read on for details of each livery in turn...

PI-001-A • Plain black

Pre-order at Light Railway Stores

fadf2c86-ac1b-d7cc-076c-e29f9a717571.jpg

The simplest of our liveries but perhaps the one with the most potential - black is a great base for detailing and weathering or modification into your own choice of livery. You could also use it as the basis for British Railways livery with suitable decals.

c4e097b4-1247-d7d7-6d42-3d64e0d06922.jpg

PI-001-B • Lined grey, IW&D 12

c2c36097-aeea-daa6-d4b9-1f8297c5408c.jpg

We have to admit to an error here - the first paint colour we specified for the grey livery has an incorrect metallic finish!

However, while we get that corrected we wanted to show you the sample anyway as it highlights the crisp detail of the white/black/white lining, the bold IW&D lettering suitable for the earliest operation of this class of loco during the First World War, and the extent to which the lining even extends to the chassis frames.

This one is going to look superb in the final, corrected grey colour (and secretly we're quite excited about having a unique silver one in the display cabinet!)

8f62f1a5-19d6-6593-1fc6-a67eef2cb230.jpg

5e0b2087-d891-6a5c-4017-d530c6b4858f.jpg

PI-001-C • Lined green

0bbbfd59-3317-d5b7-b7cf-4299a6c0192a.jpg

The elegant lined green livery, complemented by lined cylinders and green wheels, is perfect for light railway applications as well as industrial use. In fact our livery is inspired in part by the Victory that ran on the East Kent Railway (although the prototype had the higher cab found on two of the class) and we will be offering an additional transfer set to add EKR lettering should you wish.

04de6e2d-bfd7-a501-0bf7-8fe3abc3ce96.jpg

PI-001-D • Lined maroon

502e3370-c9c4-54f1-2531-f43e0f8b287d.jpg

Our final livery, lined maroon with black wheels and brighter red motion, is inspired by "Francis", the Victory which ran at Astley Green colliery. Again this livery would be perfectly at home on any light railway. We'll also be including a set of etched name and works plates should you wish to complete your loco as Francis.

d6c9ec04-4a8e-1cf2-bc78-a9407ad5380f.jpg

What happens next?

Once we have fully assessed these samples we'll give the go-ahead for production. On current timescales we're hopeful of delivering the first models to you during the Autumn - international shipping is still a bit of an unknown quantity as things get back to normal after Covid.

So there are a few important things to note:

1 - If you want to take advantage of our discount pre-order offer, we will be closing this scheme after Monday 9th August. Any order placed after this date will be for the full price of the model.

2 - If you have already placed a pre-order with a £30 deposit we will soon be contacting you with an invoice for the balance payment, plus shipping. If you pre-ordered and paid in full you have nothing more to do, but we'll also be in touch to confirm delivery address prior to dispatch.

3 - Due to a slight rise in costs the full price for a DCC Sound model will be increasing to £245 from Tuesday 10th August. We have absorbed some of this price increase, and we will honour the original DCC Sound price for any order placed before this date, but this is your last chance to order at the original price. 

Pricing

DCC Ready - pre-order from £115, rising to £130 after 9th August
DCC Fitted - pre-order from £160, rising to £175 after 9th August
DCC Sound - pre-order from £215, rising to £245 after 9th August

Pre-order now at Light Railway Stores

• Like 9

I got the email with the livery samples yesterday, and very nice they look, too. I originally ordered a plain black loco, but changed it to the maroon version ("Francis") by putting in a new order and the nice chaps put my previous deposit as a credit against it.

Now, on seeing the livery sample of the original grey fully lined version, I am suffering a strong urge to order that in addition to "Francis"!! I can't seriously justify having two of these beasts of a loco! Can I?

Aaaargh!

Steve S

PS

Shame "Francis" doesn't have the lined boiler bands of either the grey or green versions

Edited by SteveyDee68
Spotted boiler band lining!!