Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

1 hour ago, 45568 said:

Will the model allow these to be represented?

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Not directly, but we have plans to offer an additional conversion kit in the same nature as our existing conversion kits with etched, cast and 3D printed parts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I honestly don't know. However, I hope so. 

James has answered that ;)

3 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Not directly, but we have plans to offer an additional conversion kit in the same nature as our existing conversion kits with etched, cast and 3D printed parts.

Thanks Paul.

To summarise...

The ready to run model has one style of cab, suitable for the majority of the class as built.

We will look to offer variants in our usual kit style, with a mix of etched and cast metal, with 3D print.

Currently planning:

1) Lambton cut down cab.

2) GWR riveted tank conversion.

I may look to offer the taller as built cab of the first pair of locomotives, although unlikely to offer the rebuilt smokebox of the East Kent example.

Thank you all for the interest and once again, if you haven’t done already, sign up to the newsletter on the website for the latest news first... 

www.planetindustrials.co.uk

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/11/2020 at 14:26, Neil said:

There's no "looks like" about it. The Alexandra (Newport and South Wales)  Docks and Railways had two and the Brecon and Merthyr had one handing them over to the GWR and two, Nos 666 and 667 making it to BR ownership.  There's some work to do to make the basic model correct for these variants but what a great starting point and made easier again if you are offering detailing parts.  Signed up to the Newsletter and will have 3 (tho' sadly, maybe not all at once!) And if they can be converted to P4, a few more. Looking forward to these and wish you every success.

• Like 4

Those who are on the email newsletter will have seen that I've written up the research I undertook for the Victory project into a concise account and this forms a new page on our website (the perfect excuse for a coffee/tea break this morning)...

https://planetindustrials.co.uk/history

We will be adding to this over time with some information on the locomotives in their industrial careers with some spotlight features on specific models.

Sign up to the newsletter for all our updates before they hit the forum and social media.

(with thanks to Don Townsley for much of the original material and information).

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Those who are on the email newsletter will have seen that I've written up the research I undertook for the Victory project into a concise account and this forms a new page on our website (the perfect excuse for a coffee/tea break this morning)...

https://planetindustrials.co.uk/history

We will be adding to this over time with some information on the locomotives in their industrial careers with some spotlight features on specific models.

Sign up to the newsletter for all our updates before they hit the forum and social media.

(with thanks to Don Townsley for much of the original material and information).

That is very useful indeed – many thanks for doing the work. Is there any chance that, once you have added the post-war history, it could be offered as a PDF?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

That is very useful indeed – many thanks for doing the work. Is there any chance that, once you have added the post-war history, it could be offered as a PDF?

I'm not sure we'll offer it as a PDF, but I suspect it may end up in with the models in some form, and we may offer the booklet as a download, as we do with instructions at present.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear me - all this and the 15xx and Hudswell!!  I wonder how friendly my bank manager is these days.........:unsure:

I would echo the comments about P4 and EM conversions.  Having a keeper plate is good - provided the axles are 1/8" and adequate clearance behind the crossheads is useful too.

• Agree 1

Planet Industrials are doing a survey on colours for this loco.

The more I think about it, as I'm trying to tie in EKR early days with late SECR days, then the IW&D livery would be best for me. However will the number be easy to remove?

If not then plain grey will be close enough.

The photos I've seen of EKR No.4 when it was first delivered, and I imagine until first repainted, show it grey, dirty and with the IW&D 11 markings still visible under the dirt. I can't comment on the 'ease' of renumbering... a lined grey example with a transfer pack (yes, we're thinking about things like that already) may be the way to go... but for now, we just want your vote as we're finalising liveries with the factory in the new year. I'll post up about the livery survey here and on Facebook later this morning, everyone who signed up should have it in their inbox already...

• Like 1

Livery Options

With a varied career in military and industrial service, the Kerr Stuart Victory class wore a number of liveries. For modellers it is also very suitable for freelance applications; alternative industrial uses or even survival to preservation-era layouts.

In finalising our shortlist of liveries to proceed to production, Planet Industrials are conducting a survey of livery choices which we invite all modellers with an interest in the loco to complete.

Upon conclusion of the survey we will make our final choices and open the pre-order scheme accordingly. As a thank you for taking part we will also draw one entry and award the winner a £25 gift card for the Narrow Planet online marketplace.

NOTE: Illustrations shown are indicative only and do not represent final artwork.

COMPLETE THE SURVEY

black_plain.png

Plain black (suitable for 18/19 at Aberaman Colliery)

black_rod.png

Plain black with "ROD 608" lettering

black_lined.png

Black with red lining (freelance)

grey_iwd.png

Grey with white/black/white lining and "IW&D 12" lettering

grey_victory.png

Grey with white/black/white lining and "VICTORY" lettering (works photo condition)

grey_lined.png

Grey with white/black/white lining (freelance)

green_ekr.png

Green with straw lining and "EKR 4" lettering (note, incorrect roof profile)

green_lined.png

Green with straw lining (freelance)

green_plain.png

Plain green (freelance)

red_lined.png

Crimson with straw lining (suitable for "Francis")

red_plain.png

Plain crimson (freelance)

We've also left a box for you to suggest other schemes that we've not considered. 

COMPLETE THE SURVEY

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, James Hilton said:

The photos I've seen of EKR No.4 when it was first delivered, and I imagine until first repainted, show it grey, dirty and with the IW&D 11 markings still visible under the dirt. I can't comment on the 'ease' of renumbering... a lined grey example with a transfer pack (yes, we're thinking about things like that already) may be the way to go... but for now, we just want your vote as we're finalising liveries with the factory in the new year. I'll post up about the livery survey here and on Facebook later this morning, everyone who signed up should have it in their inbox already...

Plain with transfer pack gets my vote! (Dam need to change it).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

What's been interesting in the results so far is that the more generic liveries are pulling ahead.

I have to admit my assumption was that 4mm scale modellers would be more interested in specific locos - and I think the ROD and I&WD lettering would be particularly striking on a model. But perhaps this assumption was informed by e.g. the quantity of prototype liveries Hornby have done with their Pecketts, and the true demand is for industrial locos that can be customised to the user's own setting.

We've had a very strong response to the survey already and it's been very helpful, so thank you to everyone who has taken part.

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cornelius said:

my assumption was that 4mm scale modellers would be more interested in specific locos -

Ah but industrials lend themselves to generic layouts and industries so well. There have been some nice Pecketts that you then have to attack with a cotton bud and your liquid of choice to remove lettering for NCB etc because you don’t have a colliery on your layout or your part of the country ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Specific liveries can be seen as more 'restricting' to those who model their own 'freelance' (I use the word with caution!) layout.  I've removed names etc. from locos because they wouldn't fit with my 'prototype' whereas the basic livery would.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I seem to be swimming against the stream as usual. I prefer a model of something as it was in service and often as early on in service as possible. Given this approach, it was easy to find a version to vote for from the black, grey and red but the green ones found me in a dilemma. Freelance or authentic livery with the wrong roof profile? Very honest, by the way, to point out the wrong roof profile, given that I know little enough not to be aware of it.

• Like 2

On 13/11/2020 at 11:35, James Hilton said:

Thanks Paul.

To summarise...

The ready to run model has one style of cab, suitable for the majority of the class as built.

We will look to offer variants in our usual kit style, with a mix of etched and cast metal, with 3D print.

Currently planning:

1) Lambton cut down cab.

2) GWR riveted tank conversion.

I may look to offer the taller as built cab of the first pair of locomotives, although unlikely to offer the rebuilt smokebox of the East Kent example.

Thank you all for the interest and once again, if you haven’t done already, sign up to the newsletter on the website for the latest news first... 

www.planetindustrials.co.uk

Just a thought on the Lambton cab.

The metal Lambton cab that RT Models do for the J94/WD saddletank is a beautiful thing when finished.  However it is a little s*d to bend to shape- the curve is very complex and matching the kinks in the bunker sides with the end not easy- in fact the prototype No.60 has had its cab restored without the bunker kinks.....  Any chance of doing the cab for the Victory as a 3D print?  There won't be that many takers for it (dozens rather than thousands) and I suspect the CAD might be no more difficult than working out a flatpack for an etch.

All the very best

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I must say I like “Victory” in grey.

The plain version, lends itself to a psuedo MSC grey livery.

Ive voted for a red, grey and black.

just prior to this announcement ive actually got this on short finals to completion....bought as a non-runner/mostly built a few years back.

Dont think blue looks too bad, though the red wheels has to go.

E67B8B81-AB5B-4917-90CA-6DFC5CB34AB1.jpeg.5f6c425ecb8ba7cbb377d87a05b1c17e.jpeg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

The metal Lambton cab that RT Models do for the J94/WD saddletank is a beautiful thing when finished.  However it is a little s*d to bend to shape- the curve is very complex and matching the kinks in the bunker sides with the end not easy- in fact the prototype No.60 has had its cab restored without the bunker kinks.....  Any chance of doing the cab for the Victory as a 3D print?  There won't be that many takers for it (dozens rather than thousands) and I suspect the CAD might be no more difficult than working out a flatpack for an etch.

All the very best

Les

Hi Les,

I ended up producing the CAD for a lambton austerity cab, though it’s now with Corbs at model mania. I’ve tweaked it since to over all of the variants (with the limited information that there is available), with the exception of its current squared off bunker on No.60. It’s been a nice little side project to the other Lambton locos I’ve done (29 and 5), though sometimes tricky to get the bead form right on the cab. 

Paul

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Les1952 said:

We would most likely do the Lambton cab as a 3D print (or a cast of a print) for a future conversion kit.

• Like 3