Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

24 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

I got the email with the livery samples yesterday, and very nice they look, too. I originally ordered a plain black loco, but changed it to the maroon version ("Francis") by putting in a new order and the nice chaps put my previous deposit as a credit against it.

Now, on seeing the livery sample of the original grey fully lined version, I am suffering a strong urge to order that in addition to "Francis"!! I can't seriously justify having two of these beasts of a loco! Can I?

Aaaargh!

Steve S

PS

Shame "Francis" doesn't have the lined boiler bands of either the grey or green versions

I’m the other way around. I’ve ordered the grey version and have the urge to order Francis. I think these things are self-justifying. If you can manage the cash, then why not?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Personally I'm going to keep one of each, but I guess those are special circumstances.

For those who are on the fence we do expect to have some stock of all liveries once the pre-order allocation is cleared (although maroon is starting to look a bit low), however you will only be able to take advantage of the pre-order discount until Monday 9th August!

Edited by cornelius
  • Like 2

Okay, really silly question coming ...

I've done a bit of looking around the old interweb thingy, and so I know there were ten of these built etc, and that the last one was cut up blah blah blah ...

What kind of loads were these locos capable of shifting? I don't mind being told in tons, but I can picture it better as X no of short wheelbase coal wagons, or X no of short wheelbase vans.

I suspect the answer will be in the region of "lots" ...

I also assume that the models will be more than capable of hauling prototypical loads!

Cheers

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shunting tanks the size of a Victory should have been capable of marshalling any train a 2-8-0 would be expected to manage on the main line. So, up to 80 vehicles depending on loading for general freight, about 50 if we are considering 16-tonners full of coal at around 23 tons each, bearing in mind that what a loco can shift on straight and level track reduces drastically when gradients and curves enter the equation.

AIUI the WD specification for the Austerity 0-6-0ST included such a requirement in relation to its 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 brethren, as did BR's for the 08 vs. Class 47.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI the WD specification for the Austerity 0-6-0ST included such a requirement in relation to its 2-8-0 and 2-10-0 brethren, as did BR's for the 08 vs. Class 47.

I believe the quoted tractive effort of a Victory was slightly less than an Austerity, but in the same general area.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, willjam39 said:

The photos did their job as i ended up ordering a grey to go with the maroon one  :S

Nooooooooooooooooo!

This is far too similar to my own situation! Stop it, right now!!!

HOURS OF FUN RESISTANCE!

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

So, up to 80 vehicles depending on loading for general freight, about 50 if we are considering 16-tonners full of coal at around 23 tons each

Crikey, so four or five wagons will look silly!

Calculating maybe seven wagons to a pair of Mk 1 coaches, my (tentative) plans for approx ten coaches in my terminus would make for approx 35 wagon long goods trains within station limits. I'm figuring that a Victory loco should therefore be able to cope with that many wagons in a single cut through sharper curves into a docks complex; would the docks accept that length of train, though, or several smaller cuts?

Suddenly this whole "playing trains" has taken on a whole new level of complexity I've never considered before!

How many wagons for a 48DS? For a class 03? 04? A Peckett W4 or a B2? How about an 06, or a 1F "Pug"? Is there a "layman's guide" somewhere to consult?

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 2

Having looked at the decorated samples in finished liveries I am truly impressed, congratulations to Planet Industrials for such a superb model. Looking forward to receiving my Grey version. As a (poor) comparison attached two views of my 1978 Centre Models version finished as FRANCIS at Astley Green, based on photographs and notes made in 1964. I added the extra boiler bands in front of the dome, plus rudimentary ross 'pop' safety valves, organ pipe whistle and front sandboxes above the footplate. The latter were cut and filed down from the pin of a 13amp plug with (I think) a 13ba round head bolt head as the cover. The pipe from the cab to the chimney was in connection with trials to reduce smoke emission. Not bad for 43 years ago but NO comparison with this superb new model.

DSCN2604.JPG

DSCN2605.JPG

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Crikey, so four or five wagons will look silly!

Calculating maybe seven wagons to a pair of Mk 1 coaches, my (tentative) plans for approx ten coaches in my terminus would make for approx 35 wagon long goods trains within station limits. I'm figuring that a Victory loco should therefore be able to cope with that many wagons in a single cut through sharper curves into a docks complex; would the docks accept that length of train, though, or several smaller cuts?

Suddenly this whole "playing trains" has taken on a whole new level of complexity I've never considered before!

How many wagons for a 48DS? For a class 03? 04? A Peckett W4 or a B2? How about an 06, or a 1F "Pug"? Is there a "layman's guide" somewhere to consult?

HOURS OF FUN!

Wagon numbers would decrease substantially when negotiating tight curves in a yard or docks, especially if propelling. In the latter scenario, the driver would need to be able to see the hand signals of a shunter supervising the movement from ahead. Allowing for that, probably seldom more than a dozen, and four or five would not be unreasonable.

A hauled move, e.g. from a colliery to exchange sidings  could be significantly bigger, even a full length train **other factors permitting**, so long as it didn't form part of a sequence that would later involve propelling.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
Addition ** to **
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

But don't forget that 'from a colliery to exchange sidings' is likely to be over 'Industrial Standard' ( i.e. pretty ropey ) track with bends corners and gradients that would give a main line Chief Engineer nightmares ................................. so maybe scale back your 'full length train' a wee bit !

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

But don't forget that 'from a colliery to exchange sidings' is likely to be over 'Industrial Standard' ( i.e. pretty ropey ) track with bends corners and gradients that would give a main line Chief Engineer nightmares ................................. so maybe scale back your 'full length train' a wee bit !

My post amended to suit. Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

Just superb, many thanks. Full marks on the sprung centre axle.

Now, my next P4 conversion-related question is this - what is the diameter of the crank pin holes in the coupling rods, please? (do you actually have any way of establishing that, without the undesirable recourse of dismantling one of your samples?!).

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Just superb, many thanks. Full marks on the sprung centre axle.

Now, my next P4 conversion-related question is this - what is the diameter of the crank pin holes in the coupling rods, please? (do you actually have any way of establishing that, without the undesirable recourse of dismantling one of your samples?!).

I'm on holiday myself now but I'll try and remember to check on the CAD when I get back. 

James has been test fitting DCC chips today, all is looking good. 

Remember the pre-order discount ends on Monday!

That is an INCREDIBLE amount you guys have managed to package neatly into the model. Congratulations on that-really cannot await to get mine when it arrives.

Small chance Sydney will be out of lockdown again and I can give it a run over at a mate's or at the club.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/08/2021 at 11:30, Captain Kernow said:

Just to follow up on this, the crank pin holes in the rods are 1.5mm diameter.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

230964884_369674967848254_81530060098416

A quick note to say that the last day for discount pre-orders on the Victory is TODAY!

Secure a DC/DCC ready model for just £115 (rising to £130 from tomorrow), either paid in full or with a £30 deposit.

DCC sound fitted for £215 (rising to £245 from tomorrow).

All liveries are selling well, with availability on the lined maroon starting to look a bit low. Don't miss out!

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/collections/victory-variants

James and I would like to thank everyone who has supported our first RTR project so far, the level of pre-orders has exceeded the hopeful forecast we set out when we started and we're really looking forward to delivering the model to you all!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We're pleased to welcome Rails Of Sheffield as our exclusive retail partner for the Kerr, Stuart, "Victory" in 00 gauge.

You can now pre-order all versions of the loco with them, including the previously unannounced 5th livery - a limited edition lettered as ROD 608 (Railway Operating Division) - this one is only available from Rails!

40c549fe-ba31-f23a-1f55-1faf4b6ac582.jpg

Pre-order here: https://railsofsheffield.com/blogs/news/kerr-stuart-victory-0-6-0t-locomotives

b1f9029d-d0b8-a4d1-2863-e7f528a4632d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1