Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...

James Hilton

• RMweb Premium

Just to clarify, as we've had a few queries - Rails has come on board as a retail partner with stock of all Victory liveries, including their exclusive ROD loco. We (Planet Industrials) are still offering direct sales through the Light Railway Stores marketplace, and will be fulfilling all directly placed orders ourselves. No customer data for direct orders is passed on to Rails.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, cornelius said:

Just to clarify, as we've had a few queries - Rails has come on board as a retail partner with stock of all Victory liveries, including their exclusive ROD loco. We (Planet Industrials) are still offering direct sales through the Light Railway Stores marketplace, and will be fulfilling all directly placed orders ourselves. No customer data for direct orders is passed on to Rails.

I for one am grateful for the clarity. I would prefer to deal with yourselves and not with Rails. Personal preference. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

• James Hilton changed the title to Planet Industrials - Kerr Stuart Victory RTR in OO...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have another question for the Planet Industrials team, please, as I ponder the hoped-for conversion to P4, namely - what is the wheel diameter of the prototype driving wheels, please and is anyone aware of an existing product (eg. by Alan Gibson) that would suit this loco?

Many thanks.

Edit - wheel diameter question answered by my own research here - https://planetindustrials.co.uk/victory

I have seen references to AG producing wheels suitable for this prototype as well, their pack reference 4848G is for a 4' 0" diameter, 15 spoke wheel for a GER prototype, but in terms of crank pin position it doesn't seem correct and I'm not sure how many spokes the prototype Victory class actually had, as some are hidden behind the balance weights, but I could guess at 14.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Quite apart from the wheel size/type, and the Gibson's mentioned do seem the only real  option unless you re-worked the wheels that come with the loco as I probably would, the main concern I have is keying the drive gear on the axle - not sure if it's just a push fit or a splined axle, the CAD doesn't show if it is, and the cast motion. Not sure what the castings are, mazak I guess, but unusual and thick, as with the crossheads, so clearance is going to be an issue I feel. Looks like it's tight as it is in 16.5mm with the motion braket etc into the bargain. Nice little challenge though......

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

.... I'm not sure how many spokes the prototype Victory class actually had, as some are hidden behind the balance weights, but I could guess at 14. 

Definitely an even number and it looks like the crank pin is between a couple of spokes - so, yes, fourteen. Sod's Law dictates that the Gibson wheel is 'pin in line' - but the spokes are so short there that the discrepancy might not be noticed ?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/10/2021 at 08:25, willjam39 said:

I know with world logistics still being unpredictable this might be a daft question but do we have an estimated arrival date for these? Its just with Christmas coming up it'll be good for working out budget.  

Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this. Following the review of the decorated samples we opted to make some minor internal changes to the model to optimise performance of the sound fitted version, this along with unpredictable manufacturing and transport logistics has pushed the schedule out so I think we are looking at after Christmas now. We are just finalising the plan and will share a full production update soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, cornelius said:

Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this. Following the review of the decorated samples we opted to make some minor internal changes to the model to optimise performance of the sound fitted version, this along with unpredictable manufacturing and transport logistics has pushed the schedule out so I think we are looking at after Christmas now. We are just finalising the plan and will share a full production update soon.

With Chinese New Year February 1st,  then if not on the water in January at the latest,  then delivery will more likely be late in the first quarter 2022,  if not into April.  To be shipped by January then production would need to commence in the next few weeks or even days.  Thus "after Christmas" seems more like possibly five or six months from now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

With Chinese New Year February 1st,  then if not on the water in January at the latest,  then delivery will more likely be late in the first quarter 2022,  if not into April.  To be shipped by January then production would need to commence in the next few weeks or even days.  Thus "after Christmas" seems more like possibly five or six months from now.

No doubt all of the above will have already been the subject of discussion by our manufacturers so perhaps no need to speculate further. 

Personally, I would prefer a delay due to ironing out possible issues prior to delivery than an item rushed out with unresolved problems, for us to discover on purchase, let alone the potential for reputational damage to the brand. 

Just be patient. It's their first loco after all. We all want it to be right. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 3
  • Agree 10

19 hours ago, cornelius said:

Thanks :) I look forward to them arriving on these shores. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2021 at 17:41, cornelius said:

Apologies for the delay getting back to you on this. .......... we are looking at after Christmas now. We are just finalising the plan and will share a full production update soon.

Any progress on an update ? ....................... the website still suggests delivery this year - which could, theoretically, be in the week after Christmas - but unless they're on the boat now I'd guess somewhat longer after the festivities !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry for the delay responding to this - we have been awaiting a final sample model with a couple of small but important changes, in order to be able to sign off full production. This obviously has a knock-on effect on the schedule and our estimate for delivery of the Victory is now going to be Summer 2022.

Full details on what we changed, and why, can be found in our latest email update:

https://mailchi.mp/a513a3ea1d58/a-later-victory-sounds-sweeter

As we note in the update we're disappointed to push out the expected date for the loco, but we have made these changes for good reasons and the results should be worth it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Sorry for the delay responding to this - we have been awaiting a final sample model with a couple of small but important changes, in order to be able to sign off full production. This obviously has a knock-on effect on the schedule and our estimate for delivery of the Victory is now going to be Summer 2022.

Full details on what we changed, and why, can be found in our latest email update:

As we note in the update we're disappointed to push out the expected date for the loco, but we have made these changes for good reasons and the results should be worth it.

I'm glad they are delayed. I'm always skint after Christmas!

• Agree 1

Is the sound chip located above the wheels?  I'm wondering if it will get in the way of EM or P4 wheels?  Thanks

• RMweb Premium

The chip is above the wheels but well clear of them - the DCC socket is mounted on the side of chassis block within the side tank so the rebate in the footplate allows the body to fit over it when you're reuniting body and chassis.

You can see in this close up the socket inside the tank above the middle axle.

PXL_20211214_132928709.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm very excited, again. Just like the first time I set eyes on the first Engineering sample of the Planet Industrials Victory, I've got the same feeling as a kid in a sweet shop...

Paul Chetter has finished working on our sound project, and I've been testing and evaluating the final sound file in the revised Engineering sample with new speaker enclosure. The sound reproduction is superb, the feature list incredible and the experience as close to driving the real thing with a hand held electronic controller in OO as you can get! In the video I share the features we've included with Paul's help and guidance, along with the way the model performs, sounds and is controlled. I particularly love the way you get a mechanical clanking and banging as you back off the throttle whilst the model 'coasts' under a delayed deceleration before you apply the brakes, yourself, to bring it to a stop. This is the future! I'm a total DCC sound convert!

I hope you enjoy the video, please consider subscribing to the Planet Industrials channel. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

I'm very excited, again. Just like the first time I set eyes on the first Engineering sample of the Planet Industrials Victory, I've got the same feeling as a kid in a sweet shop...

Paul Chetter has finished working on our sound project, and I've been testing and evaluating the final sound file in the revised Engineering sample with new speaker enclosure. The sound reproduction is superb, the feature list incredible and the experience as close to driving the real thing with a hand held electronic controller in OO as you can get! In the video I share the features we've included with Paul's help and guidance, along with the way the model performs, sounds and is controlled. I particularly love the way you get a mechanical clanking and banging as you back off the throttle whilst the model 'coasts' under a delayed deceleration before you apply the brakes, yourself, to bring it to a stop. This is the future! I'm a total DCC sound convert!

I hope you enjoy the video, please consider subscribing to the Planet Industrials channel. 

James beside himself with excitement! (Double post.) :jester:

The sound is very good and I like the imitation of cut off. Whilst there is only one cut off setting, to my knowledge, this is the first time controllable cut off has been provided in British DCC. Great stuff!

• Like 2

I've added another video to YouTube, this time demonstrating our DCC sound model running on straight DC...

People who have ordered a straight DC or DCC silent model can upgrade by emailing info@planetindustrials.co.uk including their order number, and Steve will sort out the upgrade.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1