MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Thats a pretty heavy engineered coupling, 2 screws, a keeper plate, pivot and spring ?

Are you expecting some heavy weight usage ?

Interesting choice, every layout needs a basic few of these for a trip working, right up to block train.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Thats a pretty heavy engineered coupling, 2 screws, a keeper plate, pivot and spring ?

Interesting choice, every layout needs a basic few of these for a trip working, right up to block train.

To recreate a load of coal heading for Llanwern for example you might want up to about 30 of them behind a class 37, I have many happy memories watching trains like that passing through Newport of Cardiff.

Equally though they might be seen singly mixed in with a handful of MCVs or MCOs as far apart as Inverness or Penzance, so it is an inspired choice to model.

cheers

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Well, they did run in long trains! Coupling mech will perhaps receive some refinement. 

• Like 2

All my photographic trips to South Wales seemed to produce plenty of trains with MDVs or MDOs, here is a block train of MDVs, and another of mixed HTV/MCV/MDV.

scan0004.jpg.ff5b89b3760c333d31b1b822c0861ae3.jpg

On a dull February day 37233 waits on the Up Relief Line at Llanwern Works West Connection  with about 30 loaded MDVs of coking coal for the steelworks, as 37240 overtakes on the Up Main line with a train of house coal heading for Severn Tunnel Junction formed of a mix of HTV, MCV and MDV, 10/2/82.

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

Not one, but two, signature vehicles for anyone modelling from the late 1950s; I've already got about 50 examples of the two types, converted from Parkside and Chiver's kits, but I'm sure I'll find space for some more.

Couple of notes about variants: a small number of MDV were given air pipes, and recoded MDW. They worked from various scrap yards around Tyneside to Lackenby steelworks.

Apart from the 1/107s, there were a large number of MDO rebodies on a selection of chassis, including MDO, HTO (both BR and LNER style) and HUO. These have a slightly thinner top rail, but otherwise seem to be identical.

• Like 3

In South Wales most of the unfitted MDOs were to be found further west.

scan0305.jpg.dff1189c8f9e1e5bef8969f172321484.jpg

Here at the East End sidings at Swansea Docks MDOs loaded with export coal wait their turn to be called to the coal hoists, note how all the wagons have the end door at the west end. The docks pilot is 08259. 9/11/83.  

cheers

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Well, they did run in long trains! Coupling mech will perhaps receive some refinement. 

Dont do too much!

if you leave option to remove it altogether, using chain links these would be spot on.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Dont do too much!

if you leave option to remove it altogether, using chain links these would be spot on.

Remove the two screws and the entire NEM assembly pops off :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm going to post this photo again to score a hat trick with it this week.  As Fran knows all too wellIi have been asking (he probably uses another word) for these for a long time although I didn't expect the vac fitted version as well.  Only choice now is do I  support my 'local' model shop or do I order direct - choices, choices.    But great stuff and superb detail now get on with the GWR version and find a 16 tonner nobody else has done yet and do it to this standard (is there one?).

So here they are again and nearest camera in this1973 view in Radyr yard (photo taken with official permission - from me as I was at work ;) ). some hints for a weathered version perhaps?

1983115215_Radyr40001.jpg.a202ae994a67a6699efe58b3d30033a6.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I was thinking of getting the MDO five-pack, but it includes pre-TOPS and TOPS together  -  any chance of a collection of pre-TOPS  ones only ?

Thanks.

Depending on your timeframe they would have run together for about 5 years or so. Drop us a line for a code for DIY bundles :)

• Like 1

Brilliant News. I don't think anyone has done a BR Green Centre Headcode Box 37 with full yellow ends apart from Caerphilly Castle.

There were Blue and Green 37s running with these wagons in the 1970s. 

Edited by 89A
Specific 37