MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

5 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Sorry but that is an MDO - almost certainly one of the total rebuilds as being discussed, but not relevant to this announcement. 

Paul

No need to apologise Paul, I am the one who messed up with the identification. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to say thank you for all your feedback and pre-orders for these wagons, they have been immensely popular so far if pre-ordering and feedback are anything to go by! 

Both are wagons that were on our hitlist pretty much when we began a couple of years ago so we are delighted to get them tooled and show you all the first samples. Tweaks will be necessary of course, but they are well on the way to decoration stage. We feel that they fill a gap that has been open for far too long.

Both are additions to our "powering Britain" series, along with our HUOs, HYA modern bogie hopper wagons and the IIA variants, and we will be adding more wagons to this series in the months and years ahead. We have other series in mind too, so keep an eye out for that as we grow our range and build in more themes.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, gridwatcher said:

Aye....they have now been corrected. Fran blamed Paddy, Paddy blamed Fran.....!

but Steve got the actual Blame! (And it was my fault) :) 

• Funny 5

On 07/11/2020 at 19:27, Accurascale Fran said:

Actually you are right, body is on wrong way round on the MDO, good spot!

You can tell that we haven’t had these in our paws yet! 

Cheers!

Fran

For the future, would it be worth designing the body to chassis fixing to prevent this happening?

• RMweb Gold

I take it these wagons suffer from rust similar to the smaller 16ton wagons and many were later rebuilt with new bodies being fitted either way round on the fram. Did this happen to the MDOs/ MDVs ?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, farren said:

I take it these wagons suffer from rust similar to the smaller 16ton wagons and many were later rebuilt with new bodies being fitted either way round on the fram. Did this happen to the MDOs/ MDVs ?

Correct @farren, some of these were indeed rebodied in later life! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

With regard to Accurascale's future plans for mineral wagons, surely the obvious gap in the RTR 16T mineral wagon lineup is the Diagram 109 riveted version:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralrivet

(With thanks to Paul Bartlett)

Although built in far fewer numbers than the ubiquitous Dia. 108 welded version, there were still nearly 16,000 built which must surely make it the most common wagon type of the 1950s and 60s yet to be produced in RTR form.  I think there were a couple of variations of end door, either riveted or pressed steel.

I'm surprised that Bachmann didn't produce this wagon rather than (or in addition to) the less common slope-sided diagram. 

Nick

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Davidjsmith said:

The BR 21T COAL21VB/MDV - Bauxite BUNDLE says pre tops so to get tops numbered vacuum fitted I cannot buy a big bundle is that correct ?My brain hurts these days!

The bundles are to encourage variety - but drop us a line and we can give you a 'pick and mix' bundle code :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Correct @farren, some of these were indeed rebodied in later life! 

Cheers!

Fran

The 'rebuilt' MDOs were built on underframes from a number of sources, but mainly a large number of redundant hoppers. I'm not sure if any were rebuilt from either 1/107 or their rivetted equivalents; the info must be somewhere, but I'm not sure where. The MDV rebuilds, of which there were only a handful, were of the style with only one side door (to the left), and no end or top doors.

The 1/107s and their vacuum-braked counterparts, didn't seem to rust through as quickly as the 16-tonners; I believe the bodies may have used 'Corten' steel, which forms a protective rust coat.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 hours ago, PrestburyJack said:

Would grey unfitted (MDO) and bauxite vacuum braked (MDV) be in the same train please?

Thank you, Gary

Yes

That would make a partially fitted train and, obviously, a brake van would still be required.

if you have the Express Modeller ‘Train Formations Handbook’ there is a train hauled by 44004 with a mix of vacuum and unfitted wagons.

Hope that this helps.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PrestburyJack said:

Would grey unfitted (MDO) and bauxite vacuum braked (MDV) be in the same train please?

Thank you, Gary

It would originally have been common to see unfitted and fitted 21t mins in the same train, with a brake van on the rear, (unless it was an authorised local movement).

Unfitted coal wagons (of all types) became much less common after the 1980 British Steel strike, when large numbers of unfitted coal wagons were stored, and mostly later condemned and broken up. After that the remaining unfitted MDOs tended to be concentrated on specific traffic flows, export coal to Swansea Docks for example. 

Certain types of wagon were favoured for certain traffic flows, so if you are looking to recreate  a specific time or place then look at plenty of photos,

cheers 

• Thanks 1

There is some good published reference materials on wagon and formations.  

‘Freight-Train Formations’ by David Ratcliffe has a mix of MDOs, MDVs, MCOs and MCVs on 7G34, the 13:34 Pwllheli-Bescot on 18/09/79.

’British Railways Unfitted and Vacuum-braked Wagons in Colour’ by Trevor Mann has good photos/data on page 40.

’Working Wagons Vol 2’ by David Larkin pages 14 and 15 and ‘Working Wagons Vol 3’ by David Larkin pages 12 and 13. 

Finally, ‘Model Railway Constructor November 1983’ pages 637-641.

There are probably loads more out there.

Hope that this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1