MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

4 hours ago, Fredo said:

Does anyone know if there are Kits available anywhere for MDO and HUO wagons as I just want single ones?

Peco Parkside make two MDO kits, the riveted 21t mineral and the 1970’s rebodied 21t mineral. Nice wee kits that go together quite easily, a picture of some I’ve made.

96030559-D66D-4EAC-9F82-31A47889FBC4.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And the model top right of Turbos photo is of the higher-sided 24.5 ton Diagram 1/115.

To summarise: Diagram 1/107 (unfitted, MDO) - No kit, r-t-r announced by Accurascale. Diagram 1/110 (unfitted, MDO) Kit, Parkside-Peco, Diagram 1/115 (unfitted), Kit, Parkside-Peco, r-t-r announced by TMC . Diagram 1/120 (fitted, MDV), Kit, Chivers, r-t-r announced by Accurascale.   

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

And the model top right of Turbos photo is of the higher-sided 24.5 ton Diagram 1/115.

To summarise: Diagram 1/107 (unfitted, MDO) - No kit, r-t-r announced by Accurascale. Diagram 1/110 (unfitted, MDO) Kit, Parkside-Peco, Diagram 1/115 (unfitted), Kit, Parkside-Peco, r-t-r announced by TMC . Diagram 1/120 (fitted, MDV), Kit, Chivers, r-t-r announced by Accurascale.   

John 

The Chivers Diagram 1/120 MDV kit is now produced by Five79 kits.

All of the above kits are ideal for adding a bit of variety into the r-t-r rakes.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/24/2021 at 18:43, montyburns56 said:

How about producing this one as a Limited Edition?  :lol:

Coalite, Grimethorpe 1983

Grimethorpe Internal-user Wagon

That is not a diagram 1/107 though, it's one of the early 1970's welded bodies that were fitted to older, non life expired chassis. In this case, an LNER style 21t hopper.

These wagons have also never been available as a kit or rtr, and are subtly different from the dia 1/107 in that the welded stanchions are quite basic. 

I made four of these using a Parkside dia 1/110 as the basis, with plasticard strips to represent the welded features. There are probably several ways you could do this, this was mine: 

Regards,

Cameron

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

Does anybody have evidence of MDO’s being used in the early BR steam era please ?

They weren't called MDOs then, that classification only came in with the TOPS system. 

The unfitted 21-ton minerals, to Diagram 1/107 in the context of the Accurascale models, first appeared in 1950-51, so it depends on how early is your definition of "early BR".

The reference of the pack I've ordered for the 1950s period begins ACC1081 

The first post in this thread includes three CAD images of the relevant grey livery and markings. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Thanks John,

yes, that’s the time frame that I was thinking of too.

Could you name specific loco classes please , 9f etc ?

Which part of BR are you thinking about, different loco classes would have worked with 21t mineral wagons in different coalfield areas,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

By the mid-late fifties, 21-tonners could be seen in general coal traffic/local goods yards, though many were still used in block trains.

This also applied to Loco coal wagons; I recently came across a (published) photo of an LNER example (as per the Parkside kit) still black, and just with "Loco" painted out, in the sidings at Axminster. Never thought I'd have an excuse to build one of those!

With the loss of local goods yards in the early-mid sixties, they began to revert to larger groupings. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

29 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

By the mid-late fifties, 21-tonners could be seen in general coal traffic/local goods yards, though many were still used in block trains.

This also applied to Loco coal wagons; I recently came across a (published) photo of an LNER example (as per the Parkside kit) still black, and just with "Loco" painted out, in the sidings at Axminster. Never thought I'd have an excuse to build one of those!

With the loss of local goods yards in the early-mid sixties, they began to revert to larger groupings. 

John

I'll raise you one on that, John; in the very late 1960s/early 1970, I saw one of the LNER wagons at Llanelli, freshly repainted in grey, the black patch redone, as was the large 'Loco Coal' branding. The area from Swansea westwards saw a disproportionally high percentage of the 21 tonners; partially because of the large numbers used in shipping coal from Swansea docks, and also because the two local power stations used rotary tipplers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Fat Controller said:

I'll raise you one on that, John; in the very late 1960s/early 1970, I saw one of the LNER wagons at Llanelli, freshly repainted in grey, the black patch redone, as was the large 'Loco Coal' branding. The area from Swansea westwards saw a disproportionally high percentage of the 21 tonners; partially because of the large numbers used in shipping coal from Swansea docks, and also because the two local power stations used rotary tipplers

I've also seen a photo including a teasingly partial view of one of the much rarer LNER slope-sided Loco coal wagons in general coal traffic over the Somerset & Dorset line...

I suspect the possibilities (and thus the wish-lists) may be almost endless.:angel:

John

• Like 1

I don't really understand the discussion about the pre BR double door minerals, they did, of course survive well into the 1960s with some years later. 

This has plenty of BR era photos.  image.png.54b49270ee19a7696ff3f2b9554ffe53.png

It has a lovely full page photo of an LNER slope side 2 door  Diag 125 from August 1968. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

I don't really understand the discussion about the pre BR double door minerals, they did, of course survive well into the 1960s with some years later. 

This has plenty of BR era photos.  image.png.54b49270ee19a7696ff3f2b9554ffe53.png

It has a lovely full page photo of an LNER slope side 2 door  Diag 125 from August 1968. 

Paul

Agreed, but as stated in the text, there were only ever 180 of those, so relatively few of us would ever have clapped eyes on an example. I'd love a model of one but don't really see it as r-t-r material.

I was interested to see in the caption for the cited photo, how late the K suffix was introduced. A bit of retouching required on a few of my wagons...

John