MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Nearly ordered one of these but then noticed the logo on the side. Seems a very strange thing to do considering the market for these wagons.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/43612/accurascale-jenny_mdv-oo-gauge-jenny-monday-club-exclusive-br-bauxite-mdv-coal-wagon-b312963

Those are collector-specific special editions, commissioned by Rails, there are numerous packs of "normal" ones planned if that's what you want.

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Those are collector-specific special editions, commissioned by Rails, there are numerous packs of "normal" ones planned if that's what you want.

John 

Are you familiar with the saying about Sherlock?   ;-)

You’ve entirely missed the point of my post, but that’s fine.

Edited by aureol40012
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Are you familiar with the saying about Sherlock?

;-)

Yes, I long ago learned to identify and ignore collector oriented gimmickry but wasn't sure you had.:angel:

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The offending logo can be easily enough removed to turn it into a regular wagon and expand your fleet. Especially as these wagons have started to sell out at Accurascale (retailers still have them and there is no tier system in place as far as I know :) ). I have removed printing from Accurascale wagons before and it is easy enough like it is on Bachmann models. I would expect many users to weather these wagons too which would also hide any traces of the removal.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, BR Blue said:

The offending logo can be easily enough removed to turn it into a regular wagon and expand your fleet. Especially as these wagons have started to sell out at Accurascale (retailers still have them and there is no tier system in place as far as I know :) ). I have removed printing from Accurascale wagons before and it is easy enough like it is on Bachmann models. I would expect many users to weather these wagons too which would also hide any traces of the removal.

Are you intimating use of the "M" word?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/05/2021 at 11:52, newbryford said:

Are you intimating use of the "M" word?

Only in very very limited application. Dangerous, I know :). It could all go horribly wrong. Collectors are running for the hills at the suggestion.

Just as well there is not a Monday Club Deltic.

The site would implode.

Edited by BR Blue
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

But you have heard about the Sam's trains limited edition class 92 92101 "carpet world" in LBSC Improved engine green havent you?

It better have sprung buffers :)

• Funny 1

On 28/05/2021 at 13:10, D1047 said:

How about supplying the models with fine scale wheels but making course scale wheels available for those with course scale track. Its a shame to see the standards drop for compromise after all they are labelled accurascale . It may help to  increase modelling standards after all that's what most of us strive for. 

I've not heard any complaints about the 'Rails' S.E.C.R. vans being supplied with Gibson wheels as standard !! - maybe the shorter wheelbase makes all the difference !!?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I've not heard any complaints about the 'Rails' S.E.C.R. vans being supplied with Gibson wheels as standard !! - maybe the shorter wheelbase makes all the difference !!?!

Funny you should mention that. The Gibson wheels are very nicely modelled but not particularly free running. I have just replaced the wheels on mine with (shock and horror) Hornby wheels, painted black. The wagons now run much more freely. The wide and heavy rims and treads of the Hornby wheels have a flywheel effect as well, enabling them to run more smoothly and they sound much better.

I’m expecting now to be exiled into the wilderness for doing such a thing.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, No Decorum said:

Funny you should mention that. The Gibson wheels are very nicely modelled but not particularly free running. I have just replaced the wheels on mine with (shock and horror) Hornby wheels, painted black. The wagons now run much more freely. The wide and heavy rims and treads of the Hornby wheels have a flywheel effect as well, enabling them to run more smoothly and they sound much better.

I’m expecting now to be exiled into the wilderness for doing such a thing.

I find that Bachmann wagons run better with Gibson wheels, thereby freeing up the Bachmann ones to use on another make that (in my experience) persistently derail if you keep the wheels they come with.... 

John 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 07:23, Dunsignalling said:

John 

Not commissioned by Rails. The Monday Club wagon is commissioned by me and only me; Rails are merely the retailer handling order fulfilment. 

If people don’t like it, don’t buy it. The livery is, however, prototypically accurate underneath the extra branding. It is also a different wagon identity from any other version offered. If people want to T-cut the special branding and logo off to reveal a perfectly prototypical TOPS era MDV, then go ahead. The livery was designed to let people do just that and it really doesn’t bother me if some people do. 

They are selling really strongly with something like 75% sold out to pre order so I’m not actually too bothered if a few rivet counters spit their tea out over them. I put my own money into commissioning these so I can do whatever I please with the livery. In this case it is specifically to promote a livestream event that runs for two hours from 7pm UK time on Youtube every Monday where several thousand railway modellers from around the world get together to hang out and get us all through the loneliness and isolation a lot of people have felt through lockdown. 

Edited by Jenny Emily
Grammar
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

On 28/05/2021 at 16:47, aureol40012 said:

Nearly ordered one of these but then noticed the logo on the side. Seems a very strange thing to do considering the market for these wagons.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/43612/accurascale-jenny_mdv-oo-gauge-jenny-monday-club-exclusive-br-bauxite-mdv-coal-wagon-b312963

So I see Jenny has posted the reasoning, but I would point out that while a minority might object to the selling of non-accurate paint schemes it actually is a win for all involved.

Winners include:

• Jenny and her club members, who get a very nice wagon to commemorate their online community
  • Rails of Sheffield, who get more potential customers for the other product they carry as club members discover Rails of Sheffield (yes, some will already be customers or know of them, but not all)
  • Accurascale, who get a double win - additional sales of the wagon, hence increased profit (money that can be invested in more new products) - as well as this likely being the first Accurascale product being bought by many of these people, thus increasing brand awareness (yes, everyone in this section knows about Accurascale, but there will still be a lot of modellers in the UK who haven't heard of them).

The same argument happens in the US - over there Athearn has created a line they call "Legendary Liveries" where they offer liveries of long gone railroads on modern locos - and while some object to non-accurate liveries the offering sell very well providing Athearn with profits that can be used for new tooling while making many in this hobby who aren't obsessed with accuracy happy.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

Start of a slippery slope, it wont be long til there are rumours of jenny and zoe being spotted looking suspicious, lurking around the engine shed of the east lancashire railway with 3d scanning equipment and a tape measure.

How long until "JKModels announce new class 25/3"?

• Funny 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Our 21 ton mineral wagon family of MDO and MDV have proven to be a massive hit with modellers since we announced them late last year. In fact, with two packs of MDO and two packs of MDVs already sold out on pre-order. They have proven to be our most popular wagons at launch, ever!

588489636_3(13).jpg.5ce4016e570c0ae50584dfcb51ba6f23.jpg

We have just received production samples of these wagons from the factory for assessment. We feel that they have turned out very nicely indeed, with excellent crisp mouldings, fantastic detail and running characteristics.

179079885_6(3).jpg.6459fdfb6ed9a08a6effbaa7f4dd4fa4.jpg

We're not so happy about the paint finish in some areas, and have asked the factory to rectify this for production as it is not up to the standards we demand. This will receive attention and the quality of the paint finish will be much better on the models you receive.

1182098435_10(4).jpg.e769f7972badaf91ab70f636379f9aca.jpg

We have also received our first samples of our Accuraloads for these wagons, which you can now pre order for just £8.95 per three pack. These loads will arrive in stock with the wagons.

YT6X3760.jpg.8df65df3f0650162cad71ec606164cb9.jpg

These much needed models in OO/4mm are still on course to arrive in Q3 2021 despite the current COVID difficulties and improvement on paint coverage. With two MDO packs and two MDV packs already sold out here at Accurascale, their popularity is plain to see.

2114905908_4(6).jpg.96c89f03a169397a0b3cf1b2b6b1bd3c.jpg

Don't forget to check out the MC Metals limited edition pack with Rails of Sheffield, the Planet Industrials MDO pack or the Monday Club with Jenny Kirk's limited edition MDV too. All our limited editions are now listed on our website with links to the relevant vendors, so you can see everything we offer and not miss out on those special models! https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/mdo-mdv-21-ton-mineral-wagons

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, drjcontroller said:

Just tried to pre-order some of the loads for these, they are showing as "sold out". Am I being too hasty?

Douglas

Sorry Douglas, that should be working now. I was being too hasty with the button pushing!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Our 21 ton mineral wagon family of MDO and MDV have proven to be a massive hit with modellers since we announced them late last year. In fact, with two packs of MDO and two packs of MDVs already sold out on pre-order. They have proven to be our most popular wagons at launch, ever!

We have just received production samples of these wagons from the factory for assessment. We feel that they have turned out very nicely indeed, with excellent crisp mouldings, fantastic detail and running characteristics.

We have also received our first samples of our Accuraloads for these wagons, which you can now pre order for just £8.95 per three pack. These loads will arrive in stock with the wagons.

Cheers!

Fran 

Proof, if ever it were needed, that if you make a better mousetrap wagon people will flock to buy it.  

Now for a GWR 'Felix Pole 20/21 Tonner but you will probably go for a BR 16Tonner before that.   And a really good 1923 spec RCH mineral wagon, including the company owned variants, would sell like proverbial hot cakes with more liveries and weatherimng variations than you can shake a stick at plus a near 40 year lifespan in everyday use on the main network.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, cornelius said:

Just to join the party as Fran has kindly mentioned our special edition - the Planet Industrials internal user wagon pack is looking great, and I'm really pleased with our fashion collab style packaging!

Pre-orders available at Light Railway Stores https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pir-001

12_8e0f4f1e-b9eb-4b25-a5bf-c28fb5b3d7d0_2400x2400.jpg

Grimethorpe 66  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/grimethorpecoalite/e6bbc36d5 - completely different brake rigging, from a hopper, clasp brakes on one side with no brake shoes at all on the other side. 

Grimethorpe 142 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/grimethorpecoalite/e6f36a620 - completely different brake rigging, from a hopper. 

Grimethorpe 166   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/grimethorpecoalite/e69a20522  - completely different brake rigging, from a hopper. 

I wasn't aware of these being modelled, so don't blame the messenger. 

It would have been nice to have seen them in that original condition, very colourful. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 1