MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

If I had to criticise any aspect of the  21T and the coil A, it would be the shiny wheels which mine will absolutely have to be painted / dirtied.

Can I please ask Accurascale whether the factory painting / colouring of wheels was discounted on the basis of extra cost, and if so was it much ? I am very very pleased with my new wagons and will undoubtedly buy more of what I would like from you guys, but feel that Accurascale have fallen into the same issues as other manufacturers regarding shiny wheels, particularly given the efforts expended for some of the minute bodyside printing.    

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Covkid said:

If I had to criticise any aspect of the  21T and the coil A, it would be the shiny wheels which mine will absolutely have to be painted / dirtied.

Can I please ask Accurascale whether the factory painting / colouring of wheels was discounted on the basis of extra cost, and if so was it much ? I am very very pleased with my new wagons and will undoubtedly buy more of what I would like from you guys, but feel that Accurascale have fallen into the same issues as other manufacturers regarding shiny wheels, particularly given the efforts expended for some of the minute bodyside printing.    

Hi @Covkid,

I can assure you it was absolutely nothing to do with cost. We did instruct the factory to chemically darken them but they did not do it to the extent that we requested. We will look to ensure future wagons are so treated with a darker solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Covkid,

I can assure you it was absolutely nothing to do with cost. We did instruct the factory to chemically darken them but they did not do it to the extent that we requested. We will look to ensure future wagons are so treated with a darker solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

Many thanks Fran. Given the HUO wheels were nicely blackened assumed this must be some sort of production aberration 

Edited by Phil Bullock

My two packs arrived this afternoon - via DHL in less than a week. Nothing to complain about there!

Naturally, I had to open them up and have a look. After all the talk about converting to P4 I had to look at that too. The first thing to do is is to pull out the safety hangers and brake gear. They will get in the way. As Fran alluded too, they have been glued but a pair of pliers solved that. The cross shaft seems to be glued a well so I simply pulled out the brakes and the levers.

The axles are indeed 1.5mm dia, so any ideas of fitting the Gibson wheels to them is out the window. The axles are about 25.2mm long so the Gibson axles need to be reduced down a lot.  I did the brutal method of knocking off the pin point with a file and they eventually fitted. But, I found rubbing and had to remove the plastic flange around the bearing hole on the inside of the W iron. This has enabled the whees to turn something close to freely but I have a feeling that the axle 2mm dia axle is catching against the face of the bearing hole.

I am going to continue looking but that is the current state of play. 

In summary, for the P4 and EM modellers, this may be tricky!

Lovely looking model by the way. I now have 9 x HUO and 6 of the 21T wagons. 

I am not sure where this distraction will end.

Regards,

Craig W

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am finding it strange that smaller retailers have these wagons in stock yet the big 3, Hattons, Rails and Kernow don't seem to have them yet according to their websites. I missed out on the tops versions direct from Accurascale because I was late getting my order in. I am hoping I haven't ordered these from a retailer that ultimately can't supply them.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dicky L said:

I am finding it strange that smaller retailers have these wagons in stock yet the big 3, Hattons, Rails and Kernow don't seem to have them yet according to their websites. I missed out on the tops versions direct from Accurascale because I was late getting my order in. I am hoping I haven't ordered these from a retailer that ultimately can't supply them.

We guarantee all retailer preorders are fulfilled in full, however a very large order leaves our warehouse on a dedicated pallet(s) carrying truck, which can take a few extra days to reach it's destination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, McC said:

We guarantee all retailer preorders are fulfilled in full, however a very large order leaves our warehouse on a dedicated pallet(s) carrying truck, which can take a few extra days to reach it's destination. 

Thanks for the explanation, that puts my mind at rest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Covkid,

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks very much Fran.  That is fair enough, and definitely won't prevent further orders. Now about those 40T/ 45T tanks !!!! I don't think you have ventured into oil yet in you Building Britain series - coal, metals, nuclear yes, but you need to rectify the omission Fran and team !!!. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/10/2021 at 15:37, Dicky L said:

Following on from my previous post earlier in the week I am pleased to say my rake of Tops version MDVs has now arrived. Once they are weathered I can't wait to see them with on my layout hauling scrap. I have decided to to use them for a different purpose having already either acquired or pre-ordered substantial rakes of HEAs HAAs and PFAs for Coal workings.

• Like 2

Received our 6 today, got them running. Great looking models and extremely detailed, however one had it’s kinematic coupling system unclipped on both ends, an easy fix. Really lovely runners! Compared with a Kit built MDV. Some HTVs stuck on the back of the train, just in case you were struggling with wagon ideas…

Thanks again to the team for a wonderful addition to the collection and a nice gap plugged! 

6AA013BC-B495-4B8D-8ECA-935E58EAF8D1.jpeg

02D4010C-6E73-4EBA-8D56-EAD903316187.jpeg

E4C2D6CF-C89F-4A77-916D-CDC26D9BB90D.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2021 at 20:44, Nick-L said:

However, I’ll be keen to see what you find with yours and what solution you settle on, so please do post your findings.

I've now received my MDOs, but they are the unfitted variety, so the brake gear is not like the MDVs that you have been converting. I haven't started conversion yet, but will post progress when I do.

Re6/6 has some MDVs and has shown me progress with his conversions.

I have, however, converted one HUO hopper to P4, which again involved using Alan Gibson wheelsets, with the axle shortened to just over 25mm and the wheels re-attached.

One thing that I found in that conversion, was that any part of the plastic sleeve (that insulates the Alan Gibson wheels from the axles) that protrudes beyond the outer face of the wheel, needs to be pared right back, using a new scalpel blade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/06/2021 at 21:43, Jenny Emily said:

Pictures of the Monday club commissioned wagon sent from the factory in China:

A5EB25C2-B588-4FCF-9C56-5F3B456A2266.jpeg.c76523ce7a09b3f14ea560a56bf3c55e.jpegB0495C4D-855E-4F3D-B516-1476A89B59EA.jpeg.d25643d21e0dd09a552ee21f8896519f.jpegC007059E-C863-4A55-B23A-55CB23852F17.jpeg.bfa919bd54effbf12f1cc790a84b78a7.jpeg

Do you know when these will be despatched, please? I've had my order direct from Accurascale for a couple of weeks now, but the single JK wagon hasn't arrived from Rails yet.

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Trains4U said:

If anyone is struggling to find these, we still have a good stock of all varieties 

Is there a reason why when you go OO->Wagons->Accurascale on your website the MDVs/MDOs don’t show? They only appear under newly arrived which seems a bit limiting.

Roy

19 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is there a reason why when you go OO->Wagons->Accurascale on your website the MDVs/MDOs don’t show? They only appear under newly arrived which seems a bit limiting.

Roy

Administrative error…

fixed now

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/10/2021 at 20:40, Accurascale Fran said:

driver shortages have stung us sadly.

Cheers!

Fran

Drivers seem to be finding it hard to get the Forest of Dean or the Welsh Valleys where I have placed my pre-orders. Still no sign of any in stock.

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Fran, one of my boxes (ordered from TMC) came without the info/parts sheet. I don’t suppose you could send me a pdf of it so I can print one out? 

drop a line to support@accurascale.co.uk

• RMweb Gold

I have the first of my pack of early 1/107s on the bench. Body detached from underframe; or should that be the other way round?

Kinetic coupler mounts removed; nothing personal, Accurascale, it's standard practice on my part for non-bogie vehicles. The resulting apertures have been filled with plasticard and a pair of #146 Kadees added.

I managed to lose one buffer and have fitted non-sprung heads, so I now have three spares in case I get careless again. No doubt, now the glue has gone off, the escapee will turn up!

I've also fitted Gibson (OO) wheels, just because the profiled centres look so much better (IMO) if one gets up-close-and-personal. I seldom do, so it was really just to see if I could. It took a fair bit of work with my "Ed's Tool" (aka Truck Tuner) to get them in and rotating nicely but it is possible. Not sure I'll bother with the other two; some matt black paint is probably enough for my purposes.  

Gorgeously crisp mouldings and the best RTR brake gear yet seen in OO (even better than Oxford's tank wagons). Well done Accurascale.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've just come across an issue with these wagons, that could affect their ability to be coupled to other wagons. The coupler seems to have been manufactured with the hook on the opposite side to that used by other manufacturers. I've found this on my MDO, MDV and Coil wagons. When looking at the end, the hook is to the left of centre, instead of right of centre. This may affect the ability of mixed stock to negotiate tight curves. I wondered if this was due to an assembly error, as I have had examples before where the bar assembly was upside down with the hook facing downwards, but not the case here. The bar has the lip on top, so the bar seems to have been tooled to have the hook on the different side. Has anyone else found this.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1