MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

Thank you to Fran and all at Accurascale, for dealing with this issue so quickly and coming up with a solution.

Please don't beat yourself up for not spotting this, I doubt anyone, including commissioners, would expect a factory to tool a new and unusual coupling. When you look at the coupling, you wouldn't know it was incorrect, as I'd challenge anyone to be able to say which side of centre, the hook pivot is traditionally placed. I certainly didn't notice until I finished making coal loads for my Bachmann/TMC 24.5 tonners and tried to mix them with the MDOs. Even then I thought the Bachmann was in error, as when I received some Bachmann/TMC plate wagons, all of their couplings were wrong sided, which was due to an assembly error.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick query for advice from fellow wagon fiends out there. I have Pack B of the unfitted wagons to suit my late-50s to early-60s era.

Looking through various books suggests the lamp iron was only present on the fitted type. That would make sense as only those should ever find themselves at the end of a train, but is it correct?

John

• Agree 3

57 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Just a quick query for advice from fellow wagon fiends out there. I have Pack B of the unfitted wagons to suit my late-50s to early-60s era.

Looking through various books suggests the lamp iron was only present on the fitted type. That would make sense as only those should ever find themselves at the end of a train, but is it correct?

John

Never seen a lamp iron on an unfitted wagon; if the train was doing a short trip without a brake van, then a lamp would be hung on the last coupling hook.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

I removed the lamp irons from my Pack B on receipt ............. but I've only just spotted that these wagons are not marked with tare weights !  -  Looking at the website, this appears to apply to Pack A too.

Hi Wickham Green,

All wagons are marked with tare weights. Like the real thing with white text on a light grey background they are faint, but they are there. Explains why black backing panels were introduced!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Apologies ! - I went back to the wagons after posting that and started adding black panels ( I was already working on some other wagons. ) - and spotted a very feint mark there ! .......................... so I must reiterate my question on another thread - 'Why didn't they letter them in black ?" !!

Many (probably all) will have acquired black panels at later repaints.

There’s a nice ex-works pic of one on p.32 of the Cheona paperback on Opens and Hoppers that shows it, as well as a later variation to the number panel, which extends from the upright to the diagonal stripe on the appropriate side. It looks like a slightly darker shade of grey has been applied, too.

I'll be so altering one of mine to add variety.

As to why BR didn't specify black markings on grey wagons, that's anybody's guess. However, the black tare weight patches seem to have been applied to 16-tonners built pretty soon after the 21t. Dia. 1/107 wagons, so a problem had clearly been identified.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Apologies ! - I went back to the wagons after posting that and started adding black panels ( I was already working on some other wagons. ) - and spotted a very feint mark there ! .......................... so I must reiterate my question on another thread - 'Why didn't they letter them in black ?" !!

Because markings were applied using white paint and that was what the drawing and spec said.  It would only have been perceived asa problem in the real world if there were enough moans and compaints about white lettering not being sufficiently and generally most people taking off any details would have been fairly close to the wagon so it would only become a problem as wagons got dirty.  And of course in many locations wagons were tare weighed anyway.

Obviously it did start to become a problem and the  fed through to the relevant committee which duly decided to alter the painting spec to use a black patch background.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And of course in many locations wagons were tare weighed anyway.

Good point.  What range of discrepancy might there be in practice between the actual weight of a battered & rusty old wagon and the original weight when it left the paint shop?  Or to look at it another way, was there much point in the tradition (legal requirement?) of painting tare weights on railway wagons and road vehicles 

• RMweb Premium

My MC Metals and Jenny Kirk Rails Exclusive MDVs arrived while I was away on Saturday so this morning has been my first opportunity to unbox them, study the details under the magnifying glass, including checking that all the numbers on the solebar works plates match the numbers on the bodysides, then their first test run.   All four wagons had the coupling hook on the reverse side as others have already discovered with theirs.  I ran them with a Bachmann loco and brake van and took along for the ride a pair of Hornby MDVs with their big Railroad style couplings.  No derailments or uncoupling problems on my short fiddle yard to branch terminus layout, including propelling successfully through the Peco Setrack second radius curved point.

IMG_6806.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Good point.  What range of discrepancy might there be in practice between the actual weight of a battered & rusty old wagon and the original weight when it left the paint shop?  Or to look at it another way, was there much point in the tradition (legal requirement?) of painting tare weights on railway wagons and road vehicles 

That's something I've wondered about in the past although of course neither rail nor road vehicles could be weighed everywhere they loaded or unloaded.  Interestingly when the electronic weighing equipemnt was provided on the Berks & Hants Line it definitely found weight discrepancies which suggests either overloading (and plenty of evidence to the contrary with modern loading gear at the quarries) or incorrect tare wights although the biggest problem it revealed was uneven loads and their effect on riding of  4 wheel vehicles.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, WILLIAM said:

Cannot justify a full coal rake but could these still have been MDVs on a scrap metal working in 1988 or would these wagons have been converted to MDWs by then? (picture credit Gray Callaway from Flickr).

20157 & 20131  Foxlow Jct  21-07-88

They were probably 'MDW', but the modification consisted solely of adding an air through-pipe (white tap on the end, not red) and changing the last letter of the code to 'W'.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to bring you up to speed regarding couplings.

We are sending out an email to direct customers regarding warranty replacement of these for MDO, MDV and Coil A wagons. If you purchased from a retailer (or a commissioned model) you will hear from your retailer with instructions in due course.

Cheers!

Fran 

Many thanks! Email received, order placed

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to bring you up to speed regarding couplings.

We are sending out an email to direct customers regarding warranty replacement of these for MDO, MDV and Coil A wagons. If you purchased from a retailer (or a commissioned model) you will hear from your retailer with instructions in due course.

Cheers!

Fran 

I was delighted to get the e-mail this morning.  It demonstrates real customer care.  I sharn't be taking up the kind offer, as I use Kadees and not tension-locks, but I just wanted to say in public how much I appreciate it. :D:good:

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Phatbob said:

I was delighted to get the e-mail this morning.  It demonstrates real customer care.  I sharn't be taking up the kind offer, as I use Kadees and not tension-locks, but I just wanted to say in public how much I appreciate it. :D:good:

Ditto Phatbob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to say that the Planet Industrials variant in Grimethorpe Colliery-inspired orange and grey livery is now in stock and all pre-orders have been dispatched. These are going to really suit heavy weathering and James is working on a tutorial video at the moment.

252350725_425595962256154_11960358610687

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pir-001

They also look pretty good in longer rakes ;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cornelius said:

Just to say that the Planet Industrials variant in Grimethorpe Colliery-inspired orange and grey livery is now in stock and all pre-orders have been dispatched. These are going to really suit heavy weathering and James is working on a tutorial video at the moment.

252350725_425595962256154_11960358610687

https://www.lightrailwaystores.co.uk/products/pir-001

They also look pretty good in longer rakes ;)

Forgot I had these ordered  they look great had email today to say they are despatched.

Baz