MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

Thank you Team Accurascale!

My mineral wagons arrived without loads, I'd added them to another order, but had not asked for the two orders to be linked.    From an RMweb post, you figured out who had the "Deltic with coal loads" order and a package arrived today with the coal loads.  Fabulous service, many thanks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 01/11/2021 at 13:58, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Just to bring you up to speed regarding couplings.

We are sending out an email to direct customers regarding warranty replacement of these for MDO, MDV and Coil A wagons. If you purchased from a retailer (or a commissioned model) you will hear from your retailer with instructions in due course.

Cheers!

Fran 

Sorry to come back on this Fran, but having contacted the retailer, Rails, about their process for the replacement couplings, this afternoon, they have responded that I will be contacted shortly by Accurascale. Are you managing the replacement for Rails of Sheffield customers?.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Sorry to come back on this Fran, but having contacted the retailer, Rails, about their process for the replacement couplings, this afternoon, they have responded that I will be contacted shortly by Accurascale. Are you managing the replacement for Rails of Sheffield customers?.

Hi @rembrow,

As we wouldn't have access to Rails of Sheffield database of customers it would be impossible for us to contact them? We have asked all our retailers to send on instructions on how to get their replacement couplings to anyone who has bought our MDO, MDV or Coil A wagons. Alternatively, if you can send on proof of purchase you can email us at support@accurascale.co.uk and we can sort you out.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

These are lovely wagons its very good the way the instanter couplings just clip into place, but has anyone else had the problem of the buffer heads and springs popping out, one of mine jumped out when I removed it from the box and on giving the others a gentle pull test over half the others also came away, how long will it be before I loose a buffer head?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

These are lovely wagons its very good the way the instanter couplings just clip into place, but has anyone else had the problem of the buffer heads and springs popping out, one of mine jumped out when I removed it from the box and on giving the others a gentle pull test over half the others also came away, how long will it be before I loose a buffer head?

They do come out fairly easily, so probably not long. I lost one in the first hour, found it, then lost another which eluded me. However, I use automatic couplings, so sprung buffers are an unnecessary luxury for me, and I substituted a set of turned, un-sprung heads.

I therefore have three spares to deal with any more that go AWOL, but I'll probably take the precaution of gluing them in anyway.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Following a stock take over the weekend we unearthed some packs of previously sold out MDO and MDV wagons, including the popular TOPS packs. All extremely low quantities, so dont miss out! 

https://accurascale.co.uk/collections/mdo-mdv-21-ton-mineral-wagons

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My M C Metals exclusives from Rails, now with scrap metal loads in polyurethane resin from Make Your Mark Models.  The loads were designed to fit the Bachmann POA.  Width wise they were an exact fit for the Accurascale wagons but the length needed to be chopped.  The three offcuts should be sufficient to assemble a load for a 16t Mineral wagon but that will be a project for another day.   Made a half hearted start at weathering one of the M C wagons but decided to leave that for now as although the black adhered OK, the rust kept wiping off.  Meantime I need to chase up Rails about the corrected couplings.

IMG_6963.JPG

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Cor!!!!!!  About from the backscene that is a really good representation of the west end of Reading, brilliant job

Hi Mike

The backscene was produced from digital film taken from the window of a Paddington bound train.  It is superb.

The layout is featured in Hornby Mag this month.

• Informative/Useful 2

Does anyone have a photo clearly showing where the air pipes go on the MDW version of the prototype? I'd like to convert some of my Accurascales to MDW, but in all the photos I can find the tops of the air pipes are obscured by the buffers.

Cheers,

Liam

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Pillar said:

Does anyone have a photo clearly showing where the air pipes go on the MDW version of the prototype? I'd like to convert some of my Accurascales to MDW, but in all the photos I can find the tops of the air pipes are obscured by the buffers.

Cheers,

Liam

Not really much help but the ones I remember were opposite side of draw hook to Vac pipe under the headstock and had to valve on the top 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, russ p said:

Not really much help but the ones I remember were opposite side of draw hook to Vac pipe under the headstock and had to valve on the top 

Thanks. So they came out under the headstock (similar to the vac pipe) rather than through a hole drilled in the headstock itself?

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Thanks. So they came out under the headstock (similar to the vac pipe) rather than through a hole drilled in the headstock itself?

I believe so but obviously a long time since I saw one . I remember the with scrap at BSC Skinningrove 

6 hours ago, Pillar said:

Cheers,

Liam

1 hour ago, russ p said:

1 hour ago, Pillar said:

Can't comment on this directly because I cannot recall seeing an MDW.  However, I would like to point out that piped vehicles generally had the casting on the bufferbeam painted white to signify a piped or "blow through" vehicle, and many if not all didn't actually have a valve.  The reason for this was that air piped vehicles could not form the rear vehicles of an air braked train, because the auto air brake would not work. So you couldn't close the cock on an air piped vehicle.  i can only assume MDWs followed the same convention. so I would plump for a white painted metal casting on the buffer beam with the rubber hose attached.   

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Can't comment on this directly because I cannot recall seeing an MDW.  However, I would like to point out that piped vehicles generally had the casting on the bufferbeam painted white to signify a piped or "blow through" vehicle, and many if not all didn't actually have a valve.  The reason for this was that air piped vehicles could not form the rear vehicles of an air braked train, because the auto air brake would not work. So you couldn't close the cock on an air piped vehicle.  i can only assume MDWs followed the same convention. so I would plump for a white painted metal casting on the buffer beam with the rubber hose attached.   

I think the bracket was on the beam but the pipe went under it. There was also a bracket to place the pipe on when not in use 

• Agree 1