MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Can't comment on this directly because I cannot recall seeing an MDW.  However, I would like to point out that piped vehicles generally had the casting on the bufferbeam painted white to signify a piped or "blow through" vehicle, and many if not all didn't actually have a valve.  The reason for this was that air piped vehicles could not form the rear vehicles of an air braked train, because the auto air brake would not work. So you couldn't close the cock on an air piped vehicle.  i can only assume MDWs followed the same convention. so I would plump for a white painted metal casting on the buffer beam with the rubber hose attached.   

I recall that later conversations of wagons to through air pipes did not have the cock on as a precaution against marshalling at the rear of a air braked train and the error not being noticed!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mark Saunders said:

I recall that later conversations of wagons to through air pipes did not have the cock on as a precaution against marshalling at the rear of a air braked train and the error not being noticed!

Were these 50mph Mark ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

I think they were as I seem to recall HTV’s were 50mph, just need an old copy of the White Oages to confirm!

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

1987 reissued page show 50 mph for HTV in all load states (I haven't bothered to check any older pages as they were no doubt the same).  MDO and MDV were 45 mph.

Wow.  Everyday is a school day.  I didn't know that. Wonder if the possible lower c of g due to product in the chutes might have allowed that, but judging by the way the Tope behaved I would have doubted it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

I haven’t read  through all 20 pages of this thread but has anyone asked why these wagons only have a lamp iron at one end? Should the unfitted wagons have lamp irons at all?

Just one of many cock ups on these wagons regrettably.

Mike

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, bubbles2 said:

I haven’t read  through all 20 pages of this thread but has anyone asked why these wagons only have a lamp iron at one end? Should the unfitted wagons have lamp irons at all?

Hi @bubbles2,

Yes, a poor oversight on our part that will corrected in run two under our new project management team. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 21/11/2021 at 02:53, Mark Saunders said:

I think they were as I seem to recall HTV’s were 50mph, just need an old copy of the White Oages to confirm!

On 21/11/2021 at 11:00, The Stationmaster said:

1987 reissued page show 50 mph for HTV in all load states (I haven't bothered to check any older pages as they were no doubt the same).  MDO and MDV were 45 mph.

The 1979 and 1983 reissued white pages I have scanned show 21.5T mineral and hopper waggons, both fitted and unfitted as 50MPH in all conditions.

620564845_BWP1979-1.jpg.873d283d2482e9a9865ec59b2e1389a9.jpg

1623579996_BWP1983.jpg.cf4cd900b7360908cb234577ca0d9d3e.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 10/12/2021 at 22:53, bubbles2 said:

Lamp Irons can be unplugged from the unfitted wagons quite simply ...

694267875_2627.06DSC_0072.JPG.abf4489e51074591922444855e37d2df.JPG

... though they seem to have left a rusty patch on each of my wagons !

Closer-to-scale gauge conversion should be covered by an EMGS Manual Page in the New Year.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2021 at 11:01, cessna152towser said:

I am eagerly anticipating the MC Metals wagons from Rails of Sheffield.  Next step will be to find or fabricate suitable scrap metal loads.

Ive just had a surprise Christmas present from my wife, the lovely MC mineral wagon limited edition from Rails. Superb surprise and well done to my wife Yvonne 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Just a shout out to the team at Accurascale for the efficient response to my message for replacement couplings for my Three MC Exclusive wagons.

Messaged them and received a reply within 24hrs with a link to the web site. Ordered with no fuss whatsoever and FOC. Top service. They are on pre-order so i suspect they will be coming direct from the manufacturer when available.

Thanks chaps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I must say that now I've eventually started the weathering process, I'm even more impressed although a few door bang thingies fell off and one loose handbrake, all easily rectified. I did my 6 MDO's first and noticed a subtle difference in the way paint went on compared with the MDV's (16 in total) so I assume that's down to grey plastic as opposed to a coat of bauxite. One surprise was how light the grey is compared with the MCO's from Barwell, I've darkened, with oils, two of my MDO's during the weathering process. I'll detail more about the weathering once I post pictures. 

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, w124bob said:

I must say that now I've eventually started the weathering process, I'm even more impressed although a few door bang thingies fell off and one loose handbrake, all easily rectified. I did my 6 MDO's first and noticed a subtle difference in the way paint went on compared with the MDV's (16 in total) so I assume that's down to grey plastic as opposed to a coat of bauxite. One surprise was how light the grey is compared with the MCO's from Barwell, I've darkened, with oils, two of my MDO's during the weathering process. I'll detail more about the weathering once I post pictures. 

The light grey is very accurate, particularly for the 1970's & 1980's (they look almost white in photos). The TMC / Bachmann MEO's are far too dark for comparison.

I guess they didn't look as light when 'new' in the 1950's / 1960's however? 

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

The light grey is very accurate, particularly for the 1970's & 1980's (they look almost white in photos). The TMC / Bachmann MEO's are far too dark for comparison.

I guess they didn't look as light when 'new' in the 1950's / 1960's however? 

Cameron

Even the earlier grey on steel mineral wagons looked fairly light in colour when newly applied.

• Like 2

I took delivery of 6 MDO's and 15 MDV's a few months ago and have finally finished weathering them, so here's a few pictures. The ultimate intention is to have two trains, a fully fitted MDV/HTV combo and a mixed bag of MCO/MCV/MDV/MDO unfitted . Loads are chopped up foam from Heljan and Dapol loco packaging, Dapol has  slightly more sparkle! I will retrim a couple of the over loaded wagons. Pictures taken on Dewsbury Midland.

D239 pic 11.jpg

D239 pic 10.jpg

D239 pic 9.jpg

D239 pic 8.jpg

D239 pic 7.jpg

D239 pic 5.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

I must say that the weathered wagons in the photos above look absolutely fantastic! I clearly have a lot to learn in that regard.

(Of course, I also have to say how much better the trains would look if close-coupled. The wagons already have the mounts for it; it only takes a change of coupler.)

• Friendly/supportive 1