MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if the weekend is having an effect?  I had an email from Royal Mail on Friday advising me that mine would be delivered before 3pm on Saturday by Parcel Farce.  That struck me as distinctly optimistic as they don't deliver on Saturday afternoons - if at all on that day.  And, not surprisingly they didn't arrive.

I had two more emails this morning - one at 08.10 to say the parcel would be delivered by 3 p.m. and another at 08.35 saying - absolutely accurately - that the parcel had been delivered.  The bloke who delivered it must have 'ticked it off' on the system as he left the front door :blink: and I'm not sure if it was Parcel Force or our normal (letter) postie who delivered it.  So apart from their ill-founded optimism about Saturday delivery what was recorded by them today was accurate and the delivery confirmation email came to me - if not you - very quickly.

Nicely packed parcel with no damage noticeable to the contents and including a delivery note from Irish Railway Models - oh and nine delectable wagons thank you.  I can't wait for the 16 tonners to go with them (always worth dropping a reminder ;) )

If that’s the same as my messages Mike  the post office had the parcels in their Northern Ireland office! 

Crossed the Irish Sea and arrived today…

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if the weekend is having an effect?  I had an email from Royal Mail on Friday advising me that mine would be delivered before 3pm on Saturday by Parcel Farce.  That struck me as distinctly optimistic as they don't deliver on Saturday afternoons - if at all on that day.  And, not surprisingly they didn't arrive.

I had two more emails this morning - one at 08.10 to say the parcel would be delivered by 3 p.m. and another at 08.35 saying - absolutely accurately - that the parcel had been delivered.  The bloke who delivered it must have 'ticked it off' on the system as he left the front door :blink: and I'm not sure if it was Parcel Force or our normal (letter) postie who delivered it.  So apart from their ill-founded optimism about Saturday delivery what was recorded by them today was accurate and the delivery confirmation email came to me - if not you - very quickly.

Nicely packed parcel with no damage noticeable to the contents and including a delivery note from Irish Railway Models - oh and nine delectable wagons thank you.  I can't wait for the 16 tonners to go with them (always worth dropping a reminder ;) )

Like the comment "delivery by Parcel Farce"

Didn't take long to see the first weathered examples!

I have to say these are absolutely exquisite, especially the underframes on the MDV's and Coil A's. It's been a while since the HUO's arrived and I'd almost forgotten just how good Accurascale wagons are! I have another pack of MDV's on the way which I ordered separately at a later date, expect that'll come tomorrow.

A hint has already been dropped for 16t minerals, but lets not forget 21t welded body hoppers.... I think they'd go together nicely ;)

Cameron

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Just come across this photo

21T minerals at Mossend 1989 by John Dedman

anyone know what flow these were likely to be on please? Coal, coal slurry or scrap?

thanks

edit: just found another which suggests scrap metal.

any insights would be much appreciated still :-)

More 21T minerals by John Dedman

AFAIK in Scotland the MDV (and MDW as some had been air piped) that went to Mossend in the late 1980s were used on small flows of scrap metal for Ravenscraig, tripped to Mossend on Speedlink workings. 
Their 45MPH speed limit would cause timing issues if used on longer distance work.

One irregular scrap metal flow was from Fort William, mostly filled with the metal bindings from wood pulp.  

Apparently on one occasion at Fort William an MDW did get mistakenly used for timber, but otherwise they were supposed to only be used for scrap metal at this late stage of their career in Scotland.

Nice pics!

Brian.

• Informative/Useful 2

13 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Didn't take long to see the first weathered examples!

I have to say these are absolutely exquisite, especially the underframes on the MDV's and Coil A's. It's been a while since the HUO's arrived and I'd almost forgotten just how good Accurascale wagons are! I have another pack of MDV's on the way which I ordered separately at a later date, expect that'll come tomorrow.

A hint has already been dropped for 16t minerals, but lets not forget 21t welded body hoppers.... I think they'd go together nicely ;)

Cameron

I have no doubt the 16 tonners would be very popular Cameron, but I think Accurascale need to push the 12 foot wheelbase chassis a little more yet.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I have no doubt the 16 tonners would be very popular Cameron, but I think Accurascale need to push the 12 foot wheelbase chassis a little more yet.  

My sentiments exactly, I was merely pointing out that someone had already requested them. Bachmann's 16t mineral is good, but the representation of vacuum braked examples isn't. Their Morton brake wagons are missing tie bars (as are all their other older tooling's, such as 12t vans etc.), and there are no clasp brake examples. This is where Accurascale could do well. 

But as you say, the 12 foot wheelbase offers a lot of potential and is perhaps in higher demand of representation, especially on the hopper front. The very common 21t welded coal hoppers, both original and re-bodied, have only ever been available as kits. 

Cameron

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

The very common 21t welded coal hoppers, both original and re-bodied, have only ever been available as kits. 

Cameron

Now you are saying very naughty things Cameron :D. What was that about "fuelling Britain" !!! The Accurascale HUOs started it off, but HTOs and HTVs would take it very much to another level. 

Stoppit this minute :nono:

• Like 4

Has anyone ( Ruston ? ) succeeded in converting these wagons to EM or P4 ? ..... I don't know about the vacfits but the MDOs seem to have a 'spare' hole that repositioned safety loops might fit into - but that implies that the plastic brake hanger must fit into the tiny hole that's currently in use. Moreover, I've given everything a tug and the only bits that show any sign of coming loose are the lift-link side vee hangers - which doesn't help in the least !

Email received today that four 3 packs of wagons should arrive Thursday courtesy of Royal Mail. Two packs of 21 tonners and two packs of Coil As.  That is a refreshing message that all will be sent together and proves Accurascale are very businesslike.  I bet the lads and lassies unloading the container then parcelling up the goodies will want a breather before the next shipment arrives - whatever that is.  Maybe the Manor ?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Covkid said:

Email received today that four 3 packs of wagons should arrive Thursday courtesy of Royal Mail. Two packs of 21 tonners and two packs of Coil As.  That is a refreshing message that all will be sent together and proves Accurascale are very businesslike.  I bet the lads and lassies unloading the container then parcelling up the goodies will want a breather before the next shipment arrives - whatever that is.  Maybe the Manor ?

we currently have a container of metrovick A class locomotives on the floor too :) 

20211004_150401.thumb.jpg.1790b033bf564e

Edited by McC
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Has anyone ( Ruston ? ) succeeded in converting these wagons to EM or P4 ? ..... I don't know about the vacfits but the MDOs seem to have a 'spare' hole that repositioned safety loops might fit into - but that implies that the plastic brake hanger must fit into the tiny hole that's currently in use. Moreover, I've given everything a tug and the only bits that show any sign of coming loose are the lift-link side vee hangers - which doesn't help in the least !

Not me. I model OO. If any EM or P4 modellers want to send me their OO brake assemblies I can make use of them in clasp brake conversions of Airfix 16-tonners.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Postie has just delivered another parcel from Accurascale…. GCHQ will be round later to check on all these parcels with Irish connections…;)

Another cracking job with the coal loads folks! And do I detect some very subtle moulding on the wagon interiors to get them to sit correctly? Surprise surprise they also fit very nicely in to Parkside 21 tonners and TMC 24.5 ton bombers…

5368092A-40CA-44E1-88C7-62E41EF37A02.jpeg

96197505-9DA8-41A1-B302-6F3AED585A87.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

6/10/21 Post Office told me mine would be delivered between 10.47 & 13.47 ........................... but, no, they're still in the Six Counties ! ( again )

7/10/12 : Latest e-mail from the PO says delivery today - but a little earlier, between 10.38 & 13.38 !  : How can they be so precise about the time ( within three hours ) but be so misleading about the day ???!? ...... perhaps they're still using a relative of the 'Horizon' software. [ received 12.57 ]

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Post Office told me mine would be delivered between 10.47 & 13.47 ........................... but, no, they're still in the Six Counties ! ( again )

Generally, if your PO claims delivery, it's at the very least at your local delivery office, we're seeing quite a lag between 'reality' and tracking at the moment unfortunately :(

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Postie has just delivered another parcel from Accurascale…. GCHQ will be round later to check on all these parcels with Irish connections…;)

Another cracking job with the coal loads folks! And do I detect some very subtle moulding on the wagon interiors to get them to sit correctly? Surprise surprise they also fit very nicely in to Parkside 21 tonners and TMC 24.5 ton bombers…

5368092A-40CA-44E1-88C7-62E41EF37A02.jpeg

96197505-9DA8-41A1-B302-6F3AED585A87.jpeg

One of those look as if it might upset an uneven wheel weight detector (although I don't thnk there was one up your way.  BTW are you adding a bit of weight to them Phil as they seem very light to me although thewheels are very free running.

21 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

No, but I have tried (with a Coil A).  The ‘as supplied’ axles are shorter than the usual candidates you would try for a drop in replacement (I should point out that the as supplied axle appears to be spot on 26 mm as I measure it, whereas the replacements are a tad longer). I have attempted to do it with Alan Gibson and Exactoscale sets.  There is binding with both (clearances are otherwise fine) and no chance of the wagon running.  Elsewhere the suggestion has been to use the as supplied axles with AG wheels, re-gauged.  I have tried this but not yet managed to get the non insulated  side off (and have now bent one Accurascale axle in the process!).  Assuming I can get the other wheel off I am fairly sure this will work.

Looks like the Accurascale wheels are on a 1.5mm axle - so Gibsons won't just swap - and I measure them at 25.5mm !

I have got Gibsons in by - slightly - deepening the holes and re-profiling with the Micro-Mark 'Truck Tuner' so I have one wagon, of three, that runs OK though the brake blocks are extremely close to the - slightly larger - wheels .......... each of the other wagons have one axle OK and one jammed solid by the brakes ! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, McC said:

Generally, if your PO claims delivery, it's at the very least at your local delivery office, we're seeing quite a lag between 'reality' and tracking at the moment unfortunately :(

Ah no we have all been getting messages saying things are at the office ready for delivery when they are at the Northern Ireland PO!

Another more truthful one follows from local PO in a couple of days…

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

One of those look as if it might upset an uneven wheel weight detector (although I don't thnk there was one up your way.  BTW are you adding a bit of weight to them Phil as they seem very light to me although thewheels are very free running.

Cheers …. 24.5s not common but rule 1  and presumably loads tended to settle in transit…. As we are generally half way between source and customer in both directions then guess things would be pretty flat passing Abbotswood… 

Will do some serious trial running once we have a complete circuit with gradients before adding weight … hopefully by Christmas 

35 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Looks like the Accurascale wheels are on a 1.5mm axle - so Gibsons won't just swap - and I measure them at 25.5mm !

I have got Gibsons in by - slightly - deepening the holes and re-profiling with the Micro-Mark 'Truck Tuner' so I have one wagon, of three, that runs OK though the brake blocks are extremely close to the - slightly larger - wheels .......... each of the other wagons have one axle OK and one jammed solid by the brakes ! 

Just been back to mine. And you are spot on as regards the axle diameter.  I think i’ll have to resort to deepening the holes in the axle box too.

12 minutes ago, Nick-L said:

Just been back to mine. And you are spot on as regards the axle diameter.  I think i’ll have to resort to deepening the holes in the axle box too.

It may be worth using a file to reduce the thickness of the brake shoes to give a bit more wiggle-room. I've done this before; not too difficult, but you have to watch you don't catch anything else.

• Agree 1