MDO & MDV 21 Ton Mineral Wagons, by Accurascale

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I've just come across an issue with these wagons, that could affect their ability to be coupled to other wagons. The coupler seems to have been manufactured with the hook on the opposite side to that used by other manufacturers. I've found this on my MDO, MDV and Coil wagons. When looking at the end, the hook is to the left of centre, instead of right of centre. This may affect the ability of mixed stock to negotiate tight curves. I wondered if this was due to an assembly error, as I have had examples before where the bar assembly was upside down with the hook facing downwards, but not the case here. The bar has the lip facing downwards, so the bar seems to have been tooled to have the hook on the different side. Has anyone else found this.

most odd. Drop support a line for some replacement couplers. 

• Like 1

So I folded and bought a pack of MDOs, I'm pretty sure a couple could have strayed from the south Wales coal field and made it to Aberystwyth

IMG_20211027_113532.jpg.33d229754b1cc499882933c1bcfda08b.jpg

These are my first Accura models and I'm really impressed with them. The detail is great and I can see why everyone raves about Accurascale now. Can't wait for the Manor in a few months.

P.S. A nice GWR 2251 would be a welcome addition to pull these *hint hint* 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rembrow said:

I've just come across an issue with these wagons, that could affect their ability to be coupled to other wagons. The coupler seems to have been manufactured with the hook on the opposite side to that used by other manufacturers. I've found this on my MDO, MDV and Coil wagons. When looking at the end, the hook is to the left of centre, instead of right of centre. This may affect the ability of mixed stock to negotiate tight curves. I wondered if this was due to an assembly error, as I have had examples before where the bar assembly was upside down with the hook facing downwards, but not the case here. The bar has the lip on top, so the bar seems to have been tooled to have the hook on the different side. Has anyone else found this.

Afternoon,

Yes noticed that too with my MDVs. I have run them with Bachmann 16t minerals and didn’t have a problem. My layout is incomplete and has some 4th radius curves in place of more gradual curves.

PJ10

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rembrow said:

I've just come across an issue with these wagons, that could affect their ability to be coupled to other wagons. The coupler seems to have been manufactured with the hook on the opposite side to that used by other manufacturers. I've found this on my MDO, MDV and Coil wagons. When looking at the end, the hook is to the left of centre, instead of right of centre. This may affect the ability of mixed stock to negotiate tight curves. I wondered if this was due to an assembly error, as I have had examples before where the bar assembly was upside down with the hook facing downwards, but not the case here. The bar has the lip on top, so the bar seems to have been tooled to have the hook on the different side. Has anyone else found this.

I too have a set of Coil A/KAVs where the coupling hook is on the opposite side compared to all my other stock. I could replace them with some Bachmann 36-061 couplings. The wagons themselves are still nonetheless quality.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rembrow said:

Is there enough length for you to put a kink in the hook to move it right of centre?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is there enough length for you to put a kink in the hook to move it right of centre?

Roy

I'd thought of that, but looks to be too short, plus I'd have to do 48 as all of my 24 wagons have the same issue. It's really strange that the factory would tool the coupling bar moulding with a pivot on the opposite side, unless it's a type used elsewhere in the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Invicta Informant said:

I too have a set of Coil A/KAVs where the coupling hook is on the opposite side compared to all my other stock. I could replace them with some Bachmann 36-061 couplings. The wagons themselves are still nonetheless quality.

Agreed, however cost precludes this as I have 24 wagons that are all affected, which is 48 couplings. Bachmann replacement couplings are circa £10 for 10. I'll see what Accurascale can do.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, rembrow said:

I'd thought of that, but looks to be too short, plus I'd have to do 48 as all of my 24 wagons have the same issue. It's really strange that the factory would tool the coupling bar moulding with a pivot on the opposite side, unless it's a type used elsewhere in the world.

My MDVs are the same so it does seem to be a widespread issue. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you guys are running these wagons in block trains, you'll only need  (at least for now) to replace the couplings on the ends where they'll come up against the opposite handed ones.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

If you guys are running these wagons in block trains, you'll only need  (at least for now) to replace the couplings on the ends where they'll come up against the opposite handed ones.

John

That's the conclusion I also came to when I saw the difference in the couplings. 

Though to be fair, running with the couplings as provided hasn't caused me any issues so far - the coupling hook has a lot of horizontal 'play' on its mounting on the pivot, so it might be moving sideways enough not to cause me a big problem.  But I'm not shunting the rake through tight reverse curves, so other people might encounter more trouble on their layouts...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

John

I'm not, as I'm running them with 8 Bachmann/TMC 24.5 Ton wagons, at random positions. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

That's the conclusion I also came to when I saw the difference in the couplings. 

Though to be fair, running with the couplings as provided hasn't caused me any issues so far - the coupling hook has a lot of horizontal 'play' on its mounting on the pivot, so it might be moving sideways enough not to cause me a big problem.  But I'm not shunting the rake through tight reverse curves, so other people might encounter more trouble on their layouts...

Agree there is quite a lot of play, but that creates a problem, in that I've found it can couple with the hook on the wrong side of the opposing coupling of a traditional version, leaving little room to move on the bar.

Edited by rembrow
Correction
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, rembrow said:

Agree there is quite a lot of play, but that creates a problem, in that I've found it can couple with the hook on the wrong side of the opposing coupling of a traditional version, leaving little room to move on the bar.

Yes I noticed this last night when running them with other stock. It did derail at one place on the clubs test track layout but more care with coupling to the other wagons seemed to solve that. As you suggest it can limit the movement of the hook on the bar. 

Paul.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I plan to switch mine to Hunt Couplings, having less space and fewer wagons - so ultimately it shouldn't be an issue for me. I read @rembrow's comment and thought "strange, but luckily mine are OK". Then I tried to hook up a Bachmann wagon to my MDV rake. Now I see that he meant!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Just looked at mine …. How did I not notice that! Havent tried running them yet …. Am sure the excellent Accurascale service will get things sorted, what a shame this has happened 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Just looked at mine …. How did I not notice that! Havent tried running them yet …. Am sure the excellent Accurascale service will get things sorted, what a shame this has happened 

Easily missed, I had as well. Nobody spotted it on the models shown in the first post either.

Roy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Easily missed, I had as well. Nobody spotted it on the models shown in the first post either.

Roy

True but mine were replaced by kadees straight away 

• Like 2

I have to admit I was clueless as to the coupler misdemeanour! In my defence, mine were #18 equipped before they even made it into the layout room...but I did chuck them on to a length of track to check the Kadee lengths before taking them up, and I didn't notice the handing of the couplers was off.

Shouldn't be an issue with blocks, it just needs two short bachy tension locks at the ends substituting. But if you want an eclectic mix of 16t, 21t and 24.5t or other formations I can see the potential for an issue.

I just spotted the coupling issue while setting up a short video of the wagons, so  glad to see someone from Accurascale has seen the posts about this issue in this forum thread.

The  wagons do look good, so if anyone wants to see the quick  video I made, here it is (I don't talk in the video, but both active locos are sound enabled)

Oh and I will weather them at some point, and the coal loads are also from Accurascale

Edited by 5Dublo2
  • Like 3

On 27/10/2021 at 13:04, SteamingWales said:

These are my first Accura models and I'm really impressed with them. The detail is great and I can see why everyone raves about Accurascale now. Can't wait for the Manor in a few months.

P.S. A nice GWR 2251 would be a welcome addition to pull these *hint hint* 

I agree with all your points - especially the big hint for some GWR 2251s  to follow on from the Manors

• Like 1