A thread about screws

rab

• RMweb Premium

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/N-gauge-track-screws-500x6mm-Modelisme-ferroviaire-vis-pur-rail-N-track-pins/274565458653?hash=item3fed606add:g:z8kAAOSwdjdaBtxT&redirect=mobile

Track screws come up on Ebay regularly.

I like the idea of being able to remove

track fixings if changes are needed.

Has anyone used them, are they any good?

Edited by rab
Clarification of subject

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, sir douglas said:

I'm confused why the this thread title isnt "N gauge track screws", i was expecting some discussion point about forum threads

It was my way of trying to attract interest to my question,

but i guess it's another case of tried hard, failed miserably. :(

• Friendly/supportive 2

• rab changed the title to A thread about screws
  • RMweb Gold

Well, the thread title caught my attention!

I dont model n gauge. The sleepers must be a max of 2mm wide, 2hich must make these incredibly fine screws with miniscule heads and threads. I'm struggling to see the advantage over pins.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well it caught my attention!

I'd not really thought about the use of screws as track fixing devices, let alone for N gauge, but back in the mists of time, Hornby Dublo recommended the use of half-inch roundheaded No3 screws for fixing three-rail track to the baseboard, something which I am going to take up as I bring my 3 rail layout back from storage...

As for using track screws with modern track, there's a certain attraction as it cuts down on the banging and the chance of whacking the rails or your fingers with a hammer.  I've just had a quick look at ebay, sellers recommend 6mm length for OO gauge, though I feel that another couple of mm would be more secure.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Model-railway-track-screws-various-lengths-and-gauges-screwdriver-track-pins/153529249418

They're not expensive, it could be worth getting a small packet just to experiment with!

11 hours ago, Hroth said:

As for using track screws with modern track, there's a certain attraction as it cuts down on the banging and the chance of whacking the rails or your fingers with a hammer.

Another way to avoid such issues is not to use a hammer for pinning track, use a pin pusher.  It's what it's designed for.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pin-Pusher-With-Depth-Stop-PPU8175

I have recently used track fixing screws for the first time on a new lift out section.  I wanted a really good strong method of securing the sleepers to the plywood base (I used approx. half a metre of Setrack leading up to the join and on the lift out section itself  for maximum rigidity) without using glue.

I used these from Layout4U   https://www.layouts4u.net/other-products/track-related-items/1-4mm-x-12mm-self-tapping-tracking-laying-screws  and they are excellent.   They do a couple of smaller versions as well.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling

8 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

A thread about screws...

I bet thats rivetting.

:D

(ok ok i’m off).

I suppose you could use pop rivets with Hornby O gauge tinplate track....  :crazy::jester:

13 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Another way to avoid such issues is not to use a hammer for pinning track, use a pin pusher.  It's what it's designed for.

True. If you have one. If you can find it.

But with screws you don't have to lever the track up to reposition or reclaim it.

Also, if you put a sort of "damp proof course" of thin polythene between the track and baseboard, then the ballast won't stick to the baseboard either! That would work with pins too, of course. :yes:

I appreciate that even small screws would be a visual problem as they would be proud of the sleeper when screwed down. Horses for courses, I suppose.

• Like 1