World of Railways Virtual Show 2

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Blimey yes, There’s so much I’m struggling to keep up! I hope it’s available for a few days ;) 

Great stuff really enjoyed the interviews with the manufacturers and others including Lego and the layouts. 
It’s as close as we are gonna get to a decent show for a bit and it’s made me chuckle and smile several times. 
Tackeroo and the Rememberance pieces were especially well done and appropriate thanks. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

I still maintain the Devonian way is correct... 

.... seriously tho thanks to the BRM team to allow a slightly different take on business at KMRC not least a glance inside the new KMRC Chiltern Hills office and decoration... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm enjoying it.

I like the interviews - especially the product announcements ( a class 104 :D ) and the train rides.

Spot the difference competitions, I suspect, are your little way at getting back at us! (Most devious some of them changes were.)

I've looked at 3 adverts and am seriously thinking of buying summit today.

It could do with a little more "interaction" like the previous show had.

Great show though - thanks.

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, SHMD said:

It could do with a little more "interaction" like the previous show had.

Any suggestions or ideas on the sort of thing you'd like?

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

a glance inside the new KMRC Chiltern Hills office and decoration

I do hope viewers weren't paying too close an attention to things. :biggrin_mini2:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Really enjoyed the Kernow interviews. Chris and Muz came across very well indeed and as representatives of the 'brand' were a brilliant advert for Kernow Models. 

Outside of this, lots to go and visit. 

Top stuff. 

Rob 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I do hope viewers weren't paying too close an attention to things. :biggrin_mini2:

I was trying my best to ignore the photo behind his shoulder?

That would be interesting, and difficult to resist if it were made :yes:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Thanks Andy, Phil, Howard and all of the team and contributors that have made the time to provide content.

The Heljan Class 104, well I guess modelling the Buxton area I will have to save up for one of these. I once had a cab ride home from Buxton with my brother and uncle on dark, snowy Sunday afternoon in the 1980s and given the task of sounding the warning horn for the crossings on the way home.

Taking on Andy's comments about the slices of the modelling cake getting less and less and how it will all keep sustainable, is there any merit in setting up an independent group or panel who can accept and review model proposals?

A bit like a Model Railway Clearing House in effect to arbitrate and keep standards akin to the NMRA? So by using say a random numbering system company 1224 puts forward a proposal to make say a particular BR wagon, the panel checks with the other model companies to see if any of them are thinking about doing the exact same wagon or not. If not then fine, if one is x way along the production process some sort of mediation would take place. This might well reduce the amount of potential duplication that we have started to see happen in recent years between the smaller newer companies and the big four say and indeed indeed between the newer companies trying to do the same wagon e.g. Cavalex and it's MGR announcement and the unconfirmed Accurascale model of the same. The panel itself wouldn't make the final decision that would have to be upto the two competing companies of course via the panel to keep identities secret.

And before anyone asks I don't have anyone in mind for such a task but it would certainly have to be someone or more from within the industry but who has no affiliations with current or future model companies... to avoid any conflict of interests etc. and confidentiality issues.

Also I enjoyed the section on 3D printing that Andy and Phil presented certainly gets me thinking about things.

Cheers Paul Harrison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Very enjoyable with what I have had time to watch so far, like others hoping it will all be left live for a few more days.

For me the only niggle was the way it wasn't all available from the start via a menu but drip fed; however, horses for courses as I expect other users liked the suspense of waiting for the next item.

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, john new said:

For me the only niggle was the way it wasn't all available from the start via a menu but drip fed; however, horses for courses as I expect other users liked the suspense of waiting for the next item.

From our point of view, it would be much easier to put everything up in one go - but then it's just another website.

We like the sense of occasion that the live timeline gives, and hopefully this means the show is seen as something different. Are we right? We'd like to think it keeps people coming back as they don't know what is going to happen next. It might be sensible to signpost some of the time earlier but we'll worry about that in the next few days.

In the meantime, those deadlines won't go away...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Any suggestions or ideas on the sort of thing you'd like?

Sorry for the delayed reply but I just had to watch all the TCT Show video (fascinating), and then I was late for preparing tea (chicken curry).

RMWeb is ideally suited for interactive content, but I can see why a WOR sponsored event wanting to keep ownership.

A thread, such as this one, but started at the beginning to allow questions, feedback and banter (like last time) is IMO needed when we can't actually be there.

(I would never go to a show and not actually speak at all whilst there!)

Shopping...

I just have to have a rake of 5 very tatty 16 tonners - with a bit of weathering...

... and I just had to have one of these, ok, not as much as I wanted one 45 years ago but still!

Bargain, < £15 !

image.png.78d8dddbf4c92307d4e4e61f1812d02c.png

Kev.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, SHMD said:

A thread, such as this one, but started at the beginning to allow questions, feedback and banter (like last time) is IMO needed when we can't actually be there.

*Cough* @AY Mod can explain what happened there...

4 minutes ago, SHMD said:

and I just had to have one of these, ok, not as much as I wanted one 45 years ago but still!

Bargain, < £15 !

Another discussion between @AY Mod and myself. I think the gear stick is wrong - it should, as far as I remember, be a T-bar. However, I never had a chopper bike, but I had a friend (who always had all the good toys, I bet we all knew one of those) who had one.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Really good show again, particularly liked Giles' RC crane build, I've been wanting to do something similar for a while and it's good to see how he tackled the problems

Edited by Adam FW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Well much like Warley I haven’t had time to visit all of it but I’ve enjoyed it :) struggled to get the O gauge quarry video to play but copied the link and got it to play that way. Certainly well worth all the effort and thank you to all the interviewees. I especially enjoyed the Trans Siberian this afternoon :) 

The continuous adding bits did keep me coming back and made me watch a couple of things I’d probably have missed just scrolling back and forth on the phone so the effort in constantly updating for the walk around effect was appreciated. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed it, however I suspect that my wife didn't appreciate how much time I spent at the computer, never mind some sacrifices are worth it. :D

The spot the differences were great as were many of the interviews with manufactures. I also enjoyed the layouts. 

Now a couple of suggestions for improvements (only minor ones). 

I enjoyed the interviews about layouts, but did wish that those being interviewed could have shown more of the layouts sometimes - I do appreciate however that this would have been hard to achieve. The other thought that I have is that BRM need to get Andy and all the other interviewers proper webcams rather than relying on those on their devices. It would have removed the "view of the chin" that you see so much when using cameras on laptops. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1