World of Railways Virtual Show 2

AY Mod

13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I certainly want to see real shows back when the time is right but I think there will be place for the virtual form as it refines; maybe in a way that supports, adds to or extends the physical events to reach wider audiences or bring in additional content.

I think there's a place particularly for virtual shows for those exhibition quality home layouts.

One thing that you do get at a show that you don't always get in magazine photography is the sheer scale/size of some models.  For example when you stand at one end of a large layout, I'm thinking of the Settle and Carlisle Summit in particular, and you can appreciate that the layout is absolutely massive.  Equally, you realise how small perfectly formed layouts like Tucking Mill are in real life whereas a magazine shot which crops out external references makes the two look more similar.    I always enjoy sitting in the balcony at the Stoke Mandeville sports centre and looking down at the layouts spread across the hall.

As such, from my perspective, in addition to seeing shot of home layouts and being down at track level on a video, I like being able to see them in the context of their surroundings.

David 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another place where a virtual exhibition can score is to display layouts that are so geographically remote that they would be unlikely to appear locally.  So for example we could in the future see layouts from our Australian colleagues and likewise they have seen a whole range of UK based layouts.

• Like 2

I can only echo other comments commending Andy, Phil and co. for their work in providing us

with another great weekend of entertainment. Particularly enjoyed seeing the 'at home' layouts

Little Bytham and Retford, and Heaton Lodge Junction is just staggering in every way !

My 'handle' seems to have reverted once more to Evertonian again Andy - no idea why ?

Chris Knight (still a Toffee though) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Another place where a virtual exhibition can score is to display layouts that are so geographically remote that they would be unlikely to appear locally.  So for example we could in the future see layouts from our Australian colleagues and likewise they have seen a whole range of UK based layouts.

We did have an American based layout this year. Your point is spot on - I think there are layouts that we simply can't visit that could appear at the show. It's very much part of the thought process we are going through evolving the event. I know the Aussies have a fine selection of layouts after visiting them a few years ago. We have tried to get some of the UK prototype ones in the magazine, but could we look at non-UK prototypes for the show?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

but could we look at non-UK prototypes for the show?

Yes please :) 

The manufacturer interviews are certainly better than I’d get at a show with Bachmann hiding in their members zone and not knowing who to chat to even if you get a chance on others stands. Those and the interviews with Anthony Coulls & Tim Dunn have been something this has done better than a local show and more like a talk organised at your club. 

Getting layouts from the far end of the country to our local circuit is a big advantage with the online format as we only really get a chance if they make it to the big shows like Warley & Ally Pally usually. 

So more of the same is good too ;) 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Evertonian said:

My 'handle' seems to have reverted once more to Evertonian again Andy - no idea why ?

I think you've got more than one login on the go Chris! Short of popping down and signing in for you I can't fix that. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

The manufacturer interviews are certainly better than I’d get at a show with Bachmann hiding in their members zone and not knowing who to chat to even if you get a chance on others stands

I'll have to have a chat with them and see if they'll let us probe* the design engineers for some future ones. They're brilliant people, passionate and knowledgeable to talk with but are only allowed out with supervision. ;) 

* Only verbally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

the design engineers for some future ones.

Yes that would be good. I’ve chatted to a couple of bigger manufacturers designers I know through others at shows and very interesting too without hassling for details I know they can’t divulge. Just really interesting glimpses of the process. Talking about existing products there are no longer secrets to hide about is fascinating in itself. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the World of Railways virtual show, many thanks to all involved. Thought the range of content was excellent.

I’d particularly like to commend the people who prepared the practical demonstrations of skills, wagon weathering, basic soldering and coach kit assembly ones I particualrly found helpful. The utter brilliance of that format from my POV is that, to take the weathering one as an example, people can watch the video and follow along at home (at their own pace, replaying if needed) with their own stock. You have a great demo to follow without any of the nervousness about approaching someone physically at a show or interrupting what they are demonstrating. A great resource IMO.  Well done.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Those and the interviews with Anthony Coulls & Tim Dunn have been something this has done better than a local show and more like a talk organised at your club.

Anthony is brilliant. One question and he trots out the history of the Trans-Siberian railway. I think the point is he is an enthusiast and it come across. I know he has a talk ready about licensing things for Flying Scotsman. Perhaps we should try for this next time.

These interviews are just the sort of thing we can do at the virtual show. You can do them at a real event, but it's a struggle to get useful numbers to stop and watch so people miss out. We have plenty of ideas for future ones, but suggestions are always appreciated.

• Like 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I know he has a talk ready about licensing things for Flying Scotsman.

From some of the things you mentioned maybe it should be kept for Halloween next year.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

You can do them at a real event, but it's a struggle to get useful numbers to stop and watch so people miss out.

Yes you get distracted by the other layouts etc and miss the start! Done that a few times, or finding that two are on at the same time so you have to miss one, but having the links means you can see every one you are interested in :) 

Like I said above the format works very well, sufficiently different but with all the essential elements that make a real show worth going to. I just have to remember to serve up the cake before I sit down for each section ;) 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tankerman said:

I forgot to mention how good it was to see Treneglos again. I first saw it at an exhibition some years ago, that many that I can't remember where. What I do remember is that I was convinced that it was an actual location.

When the operators, who were very friendly and chatty, told me that it was fictional I was quite surprised, I was even more surprised at their pronunciation of Treneglos :D and gave them the correct one. I doubt any of them remember this, but if they do thank you for creating a layout which truly captures the Southern west of Exeter, 

As one of the three builders of Treneglos your comments are most appreciated. (2manyspams & OldGringo being the other two trouble makers).

I too remember discussions on pronunciation - the perils of interfering northerners building south west layouts !

I still have John (OldGringo) ringing in my ears after a trip down there practising ‘Launceston’. I didn’t even try that one.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 15:47, PaulRhB said:

Yes that would be good. I’ve chatted to a couple of bigger manufacturers designers I know through others at shows and very interesting too without hassling for details I know they can’t divulge. Just really interesting glimpses of the process. Talking about existing products there are no longer secrets to hide about is fascinating in itself. 

Just as long as a large banner for a rivals inferior product doesn't pop up on the screen half way through the interview...

• Funny 1