Point motors for hand built turnouts.

down the sdjr

• RMweb Gold

I have used Seep point motors (solenoids) on handbuilt points for years (both copper clad and plastic sleepers), which use a copperclad sleeper as the basis for the tie bar (and a thinned-down copper clad sleeper at that, so less wide than an ordinary sleeper), these work fine, provided you have a decent soldered joint between the tie bar and the point blade.

I then went on to using Tortoise point motors on a later layout, with both copper clad and plastic sleepered points, albeit using under-board operational tiebars and just cosmetic ones on top.

My latest layout uses Cobalts, again with thinned down copper clad sleepers.

What I like about the Seep, Tortoise and Cobalt motors is the ability to switch the polarity as well.

Only one of the Cobalts has given any trouble, in that it makes a repeated 'clicking' noise when the point blades are thrown in one direction. I should really substitute it for the spare that I have, but the problem is easily solved, in that the points are actuated by switches with a 'centre off' position on the control panel, so to stop the clicking, I just put the switch to 'centre off', when the point blades have moved across. This does not affect the electrical polarity etc.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I must admit, I have bought a DCC cobalt ip analogue to try on a few points before I decide any further action. I like that you can wire them in with switches and a power supply, no need for a driver or control unit. DC.

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2020 at 20:53, Captain Kernow said:

Only one of the Cobalts has given any trouble, in that it makes a repeated 'clicking' noise when the point blades are thrown in one direction. I should really substitute it for the spare that I have, but the problem is easily solved, in that the points are actuated by switches with a 'centre off' position on the control panel, so to stop the clicking, I just put the switch to 'centre off', when the point blades have moved across. This does not affect the electrical polarity etc.

It's the gears slipping inside the point motor. It was a problem on an early batch, owing to excessive clearance in the housing.

I would send it back under the lifetime guarantee.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2