Lancaster Lane & Dewar’s Street

LDM34046

• RMweb Gold

Nice job.

It's a shame that it doesn't appear possible to buy ready-to-plonk trees which are believable, I always end up making my own. I did buy some Woodland Scenics ones for a layout where I basically needed a forest, but they were really not good, like a child's drawing, a round blob of branches and foliage on top of a stick.

Al.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Nice job.

It's a shame that it doesn't appear possible to buy ready-to-plonk trees which are believable, I always end up making my own. I did buy some Woodland Scenics ones for a layout where I basically needed a forest, but they were really not good, like a child's drawing, a round blob of branches and foliage on top of a stick.

Al.

Prior to purchasing I scoured the market for weeks to find the right product. I was actually on my way to the shop intent on buying some Faller trees however the lovely chap at the model shop showed me how effective seafoam could be.

But you’re right, the market is very limited for pre-made trees. I suppose the benefits of doing them yourself is they’re finer and trimmed and made to fit the areas 

• Agree 2

Enough messing around with hairspray. An evening to play trains! 

A closer look at the recently installed speed limit signs. A great little detail to the layout. W4 Peckett rests in the merchants siding at the end of a busy day.

IMG_4023.jpg.f7157b266af080fb4784693f9dd9856d.jpg

The local photographer snaps a rare occasion. A busy yard for a change as the driver of 5775 rests before a light engine movement back down the line.

IMG_4021-Edit.jpg.a0c2789e8a6c013a74894c55945a3be7.jpg

41726 prepares to depart Lancaster Lane on a trip up the line with a rake of empties. Its photos like this that make the layout still look awfully bleak and what's prompted a few more trees, fencing in the background and some longer grass in the recesses.

IMG_4019-Edit-Edit.jpg.e5f1ff32dccd66a5fcc26613d6c5b2e7.jpg

A visitor arrives at Lancaster Lane...

IMG_4025-Edit.jpg.3f430ce2f05b45dc1531f87dccb904f1.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

A visitor on the layout this morning. 82030 sits in waiting at Lancaster Lane. The local yard crew in conversation with the driver.

IMG_4026-Edit.jpg.40378955c318e55fcc7b9842be0e4561.jpg

IMG_4028-Edit.jpg.39d0c523413b73dd1f2035ed49dbfc89.jpg

It’s a shame the 3MT doesn’t get run as much as it should. A lovely model full of details let down by a noisy motor and jerky running. I was hoping a lengthy run on the rolling road would iron out some of the running issues but it’s still proving temperamental.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 7

Yard staff having a quick catch-up this afternoon. Discussing how both Royal Mail and DPD have managed to lose my delivery twice in one week.  The latest locomotive addition delayed yet again. 

IMG_4075.jpg.2ca697eb26351334a98808b6a17f0930.jpg

Rant over. 

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The finished trees installed. Definitely starting to look a lot less sparse and it means I get some great photography angles through the foliage.

IMG_4083.jpg.cbb855fa98d3f9aaac0b473e8e55a10c.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg.7e654b9030582a6c043f0443c33c982e.jpg

IMG_4077.jpg.cae4f7443a768582574730589554073b.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

Nothing new to report other than the battle with DPD and Royal Mail has been finally won so work on the new addition can commence! A new contract with work has meant a flat out week with not much time being spent on the layout. So for the time being enjoy a bit of Peckettry with some photos from the weekend!

IMG_4156.jpg.5fde49c0d738a25a76ee7c411f7f59d3.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg.93c15a507f4624aee37c5b043c7820be.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

I think most modellers can agree it’s WAY to hot to be indoors modelling over the last few days and unfortunately it looks like it’s set to continue!

However a weekend in the sun was enjoyed with a trip to the local Spa Valley Railway.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

I think most modellers can agree it’s WAY to hot to be indoors modelling over the last few days and unfortunately it looks like it’s set to continue!

However a weekend in the sun was enjoyed with a trip to the local Spa Valley Railway.

B21720B9-3A03-4A95-8972-F5AD7F982608.jpeg.967aff8969f63b6a28f60ef389e1bad6.jpeg

Chopper and two Mk1's.
NICE.

• Agree 2

Finally got round to sorting out the fencing for the bleak area of the layout. Found these two Laser cut examples on eBay. A more rustic horizontal panelled fence at 23mm high or a uniformed vertical panelled fence at 20mm.

They’re both a scale height of 5ft which still seems slightly short but measuring up on the layout next to an item of rolling stock they look tiny! 

I was hoping for something a bit taller to cover up the empty backboard or weather to accept the scale height and live with it. Unless there’s something more prototypical that sits slightly higher?

Edited by LDM34046

A couple of other options. Scale Model Scenery offer a lasercut fencing solution that sits at 24mm or a corrugated sheet metal card kit is available which sits at 36mm. That later sits at a much better height in my opinion however I don’t know if I’m 100% sold on the card kit as you loose out on the texture. Is the rusty metal a bit overkill for the layout?

Edited by LDM34046

• RMweb Gold

Personally, despite my love of wriggly tin, I think the corrugated fence would be too jarring for your setting, and would probably choose the palings.

I would also perhaps suggest a tall brick-built wall?

Al.

• Agree 1

I'd agree there, something a little more substantial. Such as a 7 foot brick wall with buttresses and half round capping, though I understand that this is meant to be a more rural setting? I'm back with a sleeper fence, but ultimately, it's your railway.

On 21/07/2021 at 13:02, Alister_G said:

Personally, despite my love of wriggly tin, I think the corrugated fence would be too jarring for your setting, and would probably choose the palings.

I would also perhaps suggest a tall brick-built wall?

I agree the wriggly tin looks good however it would look out of place! I could look into a custom built brick wall to my desired height however the paling seems more desirable, despite not being ideal height.

On 21/07/2021 at 15:47, MrWolf said:

I'd agree there, something a little more substantial. Such as a 7 foot brick wall with buttresses and half round capping, though I understand that this is meant to be a more rural setting? I'm back with a sleeper fence, but ultimately, it's your railway.

The fencing works out at about 5ft so a 7ft wall would be a more desirable height. Not sure if my scratch building skills are up to scratch!

Back to 1:1 scale. LMS Jubilee Class 45596 'Bahamas' passed through my local station yesterday on 'The Kentish Belle'. I couldn't resist popping down in the morning and grabbing a few photos on it's outward bound journey. Great to see steam on the mainline, always seems to be a rarity down south.

B93A7297.jpg.a47467c1fa63cd98a44f5f245d1758ed.jpg

B93A7298.jpg.5e81d3ce53099e1943ada110553a8013.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

Ahem. Back to modelling…

Looking at the layout got me thinking…again…and I decided the grass is still too ‘flat’, especially for someone like me who likes the low level photography. When I first built the layout I didn’t see the value of an applicator considering the size of the layout but alas, I can now see it’s uses.

A static grass applicator has been purchased along with a variety of 4mm, 6mm and 12mm grass and 6mm grass tuffs in the hope to add the desired height and that ever so slight ‘overgrown’ feel to a rural goods yard.

Oh, and some fencing on order…

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

Good Morning.

A slightly more optimistic view on the layout knowing I’ve finally got round to change the one thing I wasn’t a fan of. But for now, a morning of running.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

How the grass is looking at the moment. Very thin and looking a bit flat and patchy in areas.

How do you make grass more robust? I’m gluing it down with PVA but is there a way of fixing it with varnish once it’s dried to stop it coming loose?

The current height of the grass.

It doesn’t look bad and it definitely sticks up but I feel like it could stand up a lot higher and look a bit more fuller? I’m hoping the larger 6mm and 10mm flocks will help add to it.

I think the plan to create little tin foil ‘hats’ to protect the trees from the reflocking of the grass. Hopefully they don’t turn into conspiracy theorists! 

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

How do you make grass more robust? I’m gluing it down with PVA but is there a way of fixing it with varnish once it’s dried to stop it coming loose?

Hi Luke,

In my experience it's fairly robust if stuck down with neat PVA, but you could also give it a blast of a cheap (unscented) hairspray, it works quite well. You can also use hairspray as a fixative for subsequent layers.

What applicator do you use? I've found that the WWS ones you have to hold really close to the surface in order to get a proper standing up layer of grass.

Al.

47 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

What applicator do you use? I've found that the WWS ones you have to hold really close to the surface in order to get a proper standing up layer of grass.

I’ve already got hairspray from when I did the trees so I’ll give that a go! 

I couldn’t justify the cost of the WWS applicator. I’ve gone with a £15 one off ebay. I’ve heard good things about it and I’m sure it’ll be better than using the puffer bottle.

• Like 1