Lancaster Lane & Dewar’s Street

LDM34046

This should keep me busy for a few days! Really impressed with the quality and the scale. Went with the panelled fencing in the end, should look once painted and weathered!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 1

Thoroughly impressed! Now glued and in the garage drying after a coat of primer and brown paint. Once weathered and distressed they’ll suit the space perfectly.

I decided to have the posts facing inwards to give the impression of the back of an unit. Having the fence face forward looked a bit plain. The supports add a bit of detail and will be great to weather.

Edited by LDM34046
Details & Co.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

And just like that. Dry brushed with a lighter brown before being weathered with a mix of powders and acrylic paints, the same technique I used on the rolling stock. A light dry brush was added over the top. Individual planks were then painted lighter brown to represent replacement planks and some painted darker to represent rot.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm liking that colouring a lot. Even though it reminds me that I have a lot of open wagon interiors to paint!

Thank you! Rather impressed with it, tomorrow’s job is to get it installed on the layout as well as a bit of re-flocking the grass.

You best get on with those wagons! They won’t weather themselves!

There are two possible responses to that post.

1. Hope that you're okay and can get yourself a better applicator.

2. It's very selfish of you to electrocute yourself like that when none of us were there to point and laugh. :sarcastichand: ;)

• Funny 5

On 29/07/2021 at 12:37, MrWolf said:

There are two possible responses to that post.

1. Hope that you're okay and can get yourself a better applicator.

2. It's very selfish of you to electrocute yourself like that when none of us were there to point and laugh. :sarcastichand: ;)

The second is more than appropriate! Nothing more than a shock to the system! Maybe in the future I’d look at the better systems, they’re expensive for a reason.

Despite being extremely bootleg it seemed to do a relatively good job. Much better static and happy with the results.

I must say the WWS Grass tuffs work a treat!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Maybe spend another £1 on a roll of insulation tape? 

Those tufts look good though, they remind me of those moorland boggy patches.

I’ll wear some rubber soled shoes next time! :P

Tufts look great, got a mix of 4mm and 6mm. Once the glue has dried and the excess cleaned up I’ll post some photos!

• Like 1

There's something satisfying about getting a good morning's modelling done. Scale Model Scenery fencing glued in place and then a few layers of 10mm dead grass and 6mm tufts added to give the impression of it being grown over. 

IMG_4663-Edit.jpg.2cd212524c0134088f7751b2f79b9de4.jpg

IMG_4664-Edit.jpg.a679ea927ecb17bd966fcba5ba37ec27.jpg

IMG_4672-Edit.jpg.0352849d4c45af9752b3ed6318d3b4a1.jpg

This particular area below the tree is my favourite. Once fully dry my plan is to add a rusty oil drum, some old newspapers and dead leaves. Adding some much needed finer details to the layout.

IMG_4671-Edit.jpg.7534facf2f03d8745bcdff2a7000f0a7.jpg

A poster was added to the fence to break up the panels and add some details. A2 posters scaled down to 1/76th scale work out about 7.8mm. I printed a few out before trimming to size and gluing on with a bit of superglue. A left over used cotton bud with weathering powder was used to dull down the brightness and rough up a few edges. Quite pleased with the result. Other items such as railway signage and newspapers were also printed to add to the general railway detritus.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Just now, Alister_G said:

That looks brilliant mate, just right.

Al.

Thank you Al. Your advice played a big part. Blending the WWS tufts into the existing grass and then adding a few more layers over the top worked a treat.

• Like 1

A few more photos of the rest of the layout showing the refreshed grass. The existing grass was removed and relayed with WWS Tufts and 4mm, 6mm and 10mm blends of grass. 

IMG_4660-Edit.jpg.7706dbf4bbbc1d22e03e26ecb9cd664b.jpg

A better view of the grass showing the height. Achieving the desired look of a slightly overgrown rural yard.

IMG_4661-Edit.jpg.5190d136bb6e2ac3e0edea9db6c6b2f2.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Rightly so, I hope that I can get static grass to behave like that, especially as I have an awful lot to do.

While still maintaining a slightly dead arm I strongly recommend a decent applicator!

As for technique I can’t say I’m well versed. Create a nice blend with different colours and then build up layers to the desired height.

Areas I couldn’t reach with the Sieve of Death I used the original puffer bottle method to reasonable success.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

Thank you! A few little details here and there but overall I’m happy with the look!

Modelu now have a dented oil drum in their range which might be of interest in case you haven’t spotted it. 

4 hours ago, Dragonboy said:

Modelu now have a dented oil drum in their range which might be of interest in case you haven’t spotted it. 

Doh! That’s a pain, I’ve just had a delivered a set of 3D printed oil drums for the layout.

I did have a novel idea of using the 3D printed model as a template to make a few out of tinfoil so I can create my own dented and battered drums.

• Like 1

Snapped this shot this morning before heading to work. The early morning sun through the window creates some lovely lighting on the layout.

IMG_4692-Edit.jpg.015bae8aa56d796fac1cd2187056cd75.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1