Lancaster Lane & Dewar’s Street

LDM34046

A slight delay in proceedings as I had to pop to the model shop for more varnish! An afternoon weathering and the finished result of the 16T. Happy with the improvement of weathering compared to the first set I did. Much better application of the powders rather than just using paints.

Acetone was used to remove the 'GW' logos, a wash was applied to the areas where dirt builds up. A lighter dry brush of grey was added to highlight the edges before weathering powders were applied with a heavy build up in the corners. Cotton buds were then used to remove excess and clean up areas around the numbers and lettering.

IMG_0237-Edit.jpg.161970a6902da3c0e91f3d0ba41a2664.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg.a37e84625cd1b1678e891978d236bbb1.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg.6657a4111e03d7fec614e32f332c36a8.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

The finish is good but the age old look is still not convincing, I have see in real life and pictures in the state shown in the pictures wagons that are full of dents and indentations but have yet in model form to see any attempts to recreate real life. Any body got some ideas !!!!!!!

The sides are to flat and uniform, there must be a way with you talented people. 

Edited by johnd

15 minutes ago, johnd said:

The finish is good but the age old look is still not convincing, I have see in real life and pictures in the state shown in the pictures wagons that are full of dents and indentations but have yet in model form to see any attempts to recreate real life. Any body got some ideas !!!!!!!

The sides are to flat and uniform, there must be a way with you talented people. 

It’s a plastic rtr model so you’re a bit limited on what you can do unless you start hacking it apart.

I’m not too bothered, more focused on building up my weathering skills and taking the shine off a box fresh model.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, johnd said:

It is possible to add some texture to the sides, with thicker layers of weathering powders:

ladmanlow1828.jpg.92a0d3412180036000b918ece14a9814.jpg

but it is very difficult to convincingly add dents, I know, I've tried.

Al.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Alister_G said:

It is possible to add some texture to the sides, with thicker layers of weathering powders:

ladmanlow1828.jpg.92a0d3412180036000b918ece14a9814.jpg

but it is very difficult to convincingly add dents, I know, I've tried.

Al.

Looks excellent as always Al.

Weathering powders are new to me so it’s a case of getting used to them and slowly building up and layers and textures overtime!

• Like 1

A busy weekend and week with work means that any further progress on the layout has been slow. Word on the street is the second Peckett has been posted and should be arriving soon. A long long awaited arrival! 

I’ve also made a start on the SMS Oil Drums (pictured). The 3D printed filament still needs sanding down along with painting and weathering. Undecided yet on the colour, either red or green. They’re a nice little detail.

More 1:76 figures are being painted behind the scenes. I forgot how many I initially purchased! Although it’ll be good to have a nice variety which can be swapped around to create different cameos.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

This afternoon’s project. First time doing a wagon kit so thought I’d start with something simple!

Wrong location I know but they’ll be painted to suit the location of the layout.

Edited by LDM34046

9 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

A good start on the 4-plank wagon. Still need to work out which order to paint/install the wheels as the instructions say fit the wheels prior to painting?

0EF8A39B-2C73-4564-8AF2-4594F5AD8B24.jpeg.cb13c0020732c0c06d1bd465545e27e5.jpeg

Ignore me, on closer inspection there is enough wiggle room in the axle boxes to remove the wheels post assembly!

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Ignore me, on closer inspection there is enough wiggle room in the axle boxes to remove the wheels post assembly!

Yeah, you need to fit the wheels during assembly, to ensure that they all touch the ground, and the two sideframes are parallel, but once everything has thoroughly set you can remove them for painting, with a bit of effort.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Oh, just a tip, if you are getting a wagon kit addiction, it's worth going to somewhere that sells photo frames, and buying one with a proper glass insert - not a perspex one. You can then use the glass as a perfectly flat surface to build your kits on, to ensure they are straight and level.

Buying a photo frame normally works out cheaper and easier than trying to find a supplier of plate glass.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
clarity
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yeah, you need to fit the wheels during assembly, to ensure that they all touch the ground, and the two sideframes are parallel, but once everything has thoroughly set you can remove them for painting, with a bit of effort.

Al.

Thank you Al!

It all makes sense now!

• Like 1

A good place to finish today. Really enjoyed making this kit. Found the under frame and brakes a bit fiddly as the instructions aren’t the clearest but overall, happy with the result.

IMG_0412-Edit.jpg.c53a51955b68b0ab0c98b7114ff00da0.jpg

IMG_0414-Edit.jpg.2a1a49305eb3f4d8154f74e67028ad6c.jpg

Next job is to get it painted before adding decals and weathering. Not sure when that’ll get done as I’ve got another busy weekend but a great project for a rainy day. Looking forward to building the other wagon at some point!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

Very nice build LDM34046. Reminds me I've a few kits to build, I like the Parkside kits, they seem to go together well and the newer ones include transfers. 

I'd agree with Al's tip about using a sheet of glass to keep everything perfectly flat, I've also used a large ceramic tile for the same thing. 

Look forward to seeing some more builds :)

• Informative/Useful 1

58 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Very nice build LDM34046. Reminds me I've a few kits to build, I like the Parkside kits, they seem to go together well and the newer ones include transfers. 

I'd agree with Al's tip about using a sheet of glass to keep everything perfectly flat, I've also used a large ceramic tile for the same thing. 

Look forward to seeing some more builds :)

Thank you! What tempted me with this kit was the fact it was two wagons plus transfers, couplings and wheels included, the latter seems to be a rarity these days. The first wagon has just been primed so hopefully in the next few days I can start painting it.

• Like 1

Ever have those “how hard can it be” moments? 

This morning I was flicking through Instagram and came across an article on making tarpaulins to go on wagons. For a while I’ve fancied creating a load for the flat wagon and saw this as a perfect opportunity.

A tarpaulin texture was printed onto A4 paper and soaked in a 50:50 mix of PVA and water. My flat bed and model Land Rover wrapped in Cling Film before moulding the wet paper around the model to create the basic shape.

it may look a bit crude at the moment but I’m hoping once dry the excess can be trimmed off and neatened up. The Land Rover can then be carefully removed to create the illusion that there’s a full load. 

It might work. It might not. But at the cost of a single sheet of A4 paper and 10 minutes it was worth a try!

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

There’s a chap on You Tube who posts in the name Mouldy Raspberry and he has posted a video this week including a step by step on tarpaulins which may be of use.  

Brian

Edited by Dragonboy
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

The latest addition to the layout. Due to Covid and Royal Mail it’s been an absolute pain to get sorted but well worth the two month wait!

Hornby’s B2 Peckett. Beautifully weathered by Chris at Model Rail Services Plymouth. He’s also fitted a stay-alive chip to provide lovely fault free running.

IMG_0427-Edit.jpg.2337105ecd211fc15c53b3cde278969a.jpg

IMG_0421-Edit.jpg.806487b358cb3528431f5f84e0f75094.jpg

I’ve yet to pluck up the courage to weather my locos so in the mean time I always try and enlist on professional services and I would highly recommend Chris’s work to anyone!

IMG_0419-Edit.jpg.90581870f93fd7ab63531162fc051462.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg.20f9c8584895f6d2d8e485b6b7b8365e.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

One completed load for the flat wagon. Once the glue had dried I gave it a good weather as well as paint the inside black to avoid any light leak.

IMG_0598-Edit.jpg.9bc987dc1a3e2ea1b1bbd0ec5323dba6.jpg

Happy with the finished result. I might make another but with a dark green as the blue is quite bright. Maybe some scale rope or chain to hold it down.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Another project finished and my favourite to date. The Peco wagon kit painted with Vallejo acrylics. Weathering was done solely using powders this time, rather than mixing with acrylics and I’m pleased with the results. A nice subtle weathering instead of caking it on with acrylic and then wiping it off.

IMG_0594-Edit.jpg.437f1fea9e3cbfc8699a366cf6efb77b.jpg

IMG_0597-Edit.jpg.ea40ab22c45796758f6511d4f1ba229f.jpg

IMG_0595-Edit.jpg.4b654dcf25efe1c9c0f1f5ff66796205.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg.d3e782ca88b37c69a8dd4283ae730f3c.jpg

The couplings still need to be added but just enjoying having it parked up at the end of my sidings.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 7