Lancaster Lane & Dewar’s Street

LDM34046

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

I’d like to see one (or two) on Warren Branch! 

The Greasy, Wet and Rusty would never employ a locomotive not built at Swindon! :jester:

(although they did inherit a few on Swansea Docks) shhhhh!

Al.

• Funny 1

4 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

The Greasy, Wet and Rusty would never employ a locomotive not built at Swindon! :jester:

Surely a poetic license can be allowed to excuse such a lovely model? :D

Privately owned coal merchants perhaps?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Surely a poetic license can be allowed to excuse such a lovely model? :D

Privately owned coal merchants perhaps?

I think I may have stretched rule one beyond its limit so far as it is :lol:

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just now, chuffinghell said:

I think I may have stretched rule one beyond its limit so far as it is :lol:

Don’t worry! No one’s judging! I still haven’t really worked out where my layout is based! :stinker:

• Funny 1

This morning’s job of adding coal to the locomotives. After much deliberation of which product to use I realised nothing best the real thing.

A quick trip into the shed and a lump of charcoal was found. Broken up with a hammer to a reasonable size before being glued into place with a thick layer of PVA glue.

Really happy with the finished result and ties in nicely with the weathering. Nothing beats the real thing!

IMG_3824.jpg.60a4cbae757684ddf1e54c1795bcf411.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg.51e236b2622ed2b74131df02a1a1e78e.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 5

A sunny day on the layout today. Perfect for a few photos! A busy day for the BR locomotives with mixed goods the order of the day.

IMG_3914.jpg.6b015ab4f81b4753b78cbc3ed38b0780.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

There's some really great views appearing here Luke, it's looking great.

Al.

Thank you Alister for your continued support! Yes, I'm starting to get to a point where I'm happy with. I'm scratching my head with what I want to do next. I thinking a few more trackside details. The scenic areas look a bit to uniform still so I thinking longer tuffs of grass in a few places. WWS Scenics sell adhesive grass tuffs but I don't how effective they'll be.

• RMweb Gold

I used some of the WWS tufts on Ladmanlow. On their own they look a bit artificial:

ladmanlow294.jpg.5022a8b160d8e55687366086b128ba34.jpg

But I added some more static grass round them, and they look pretty good:

ladmanlow403.jpg.3e0e1926e285491a04c33f53bc845d0b.jpg

I also used them individually in a couple of places, but can't find a representative photo.

It is possible to cut them in half with a sharp blade to make them smaller, or even just nip off a few strands as I did here:

ladmanlow1205.jpg.1af95774a5d088be340a1cfe7d9f1e27.jpg

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

I used some of the WWS tufts on Ladmanlow. On their own they look a bit artificial:

Oh excellent! I’m glad someone else uses them as they look like great products, I just didn’t know how effective they’d be!

It is possible to cut them in half with a sharp blade to make them smaller, or even just nip off a few strands as I did here:

Yeah, I think if I blend them in with some loose grass they would look good? Which length did you go with?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Yeah, I think if I blend them in with some loose grass they would look good? Which length did you go with?

Yep, blending in works well. I can't honestly remember what length, I think 6mm, but you could buy longer ones and trim them down.

Al.

Yep, blending in works well. I can't honestly remember what length, I think 6mm, but you could buy longer ones and trim them down.

Al.

They’re quite cheap for the packs so I might get a mix of 4mm and 6mm and then go from there.

A spot of shopping tomorrow me thinks! :dancer:

• Like 2

Looking at the previous photos I’ve started to wonder whether the back of the layout is a bit bare. The rest of the layout is occupied with either hills or trees which leaves this stretch along the back of the siding.

The siding sits quite close to the back wall so I’m limited with spaces. I think my only options are fencing, either corrugated sheets or wooden, maybe overgrown with a bit of foliage or long grass. Replicating the back of a yard or workshop.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I think a fence would make a big difference there, just to break up the bare look, it wouldn't have to be too big.

Al.

Agreed. I think a row of fencing between then two trees and some bushes and long grass to add to it.

Need to decide on what fencing would look best

Something substantial but not too fancy for the location, such as sleepers?

If you're feeling lazy, Bachmann do some very nice RTP sleeper fencing that has the redundant chair marks on it.

On 07/07/2021 at 15:33, MrWolf said:

Something substantial but not too fancy for the location, such as sleepers?

If you're feeling lazy, Bachmann do some very nice RTP sleeper fencing that has the redundant chair marks on it.

Here’s the culprit area from eye level. Going to avoid fencing that is see through as I think that defeats the object of it. Thinking generic gardening fence panels weathered and then with overgrown grass.

The other idea was derelict corrugated sheet fencing but I don’t know if that’ll look right. Still want to maintain the rural look.

Just something to avoid the horizon going right down to the track level. 

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dragonboy said:

Maybe just a hedge alone would be enough?

I did think that but I don’t think there’s enough room between the track and the back scene. Unless it was thinned out a little

The local coal merchant arrived at the yard ready for a days work but is greeted but a rather tired and hungover crew. Something about extra time? 

IMG_4028-Edit.jpg.cf9796fed5215f5147ff3fa48783194a.jpg

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

This afternoon’s job. A few more trees for the layout. There were 7 trees that went down the first time around and I thought that would be plenty however having worked on the layout for a few weeks I’ve noticed there’s a few areas that could do with one or two more to take away the uniformity of it all. As ‘random’ as placement can be there’s always going to be some symmetry involved and subconsciously I’ve ended up with 3 rows of two.

Picked out from the box of seafoam, trimmed to the right size and removed all the large leaves.

A coat of primer followed by a very light spray of brown. (Photo taken into the sunlight so appears darker)

Cheap hairspray and a mix of light and dark foliage make up the leaves. They always look a bit odd at this stage but once the hairspray has dried and they’re placed on the layout they look just the part.

Edited by LDM34046
  • Like 4