The Tavern Coaches, by O S Bulleid idea

18B

Would anyone happen to have any pics or info on the bizarre "Tavern coaches". apparently there were eight two car sets? with leaded windows, metal lanterns, beamed ceilings"! inn signs. etc etc. TIA

• RMweb Premium

Try searching for Bulleid Tavern cars to turn up info and past threads. See for example:

https://vintagenewsdaily.com/vintage-photos-capture-inside-the-jolly-tar-tavern-car-a-real-pub-that-ran-on-rails-in-london-from-the-late-1940s/

Both this link and the one linked to above contain some inaccuracies, but they give you an idea.  The restaurant car with only high level windows (to reduce the amount of time passengers dwelt after eating) were rebuilt with windows pretty swiftly, whilst the pub signs on the tavern cars themselves lasted rather longer than the pub livery.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Informative/Useful 1

An article for the sets as built appeared in the January 1971 edition of "Model Railway Constructor" and one for the rebuilt form in the November 1980 edition of the same magazine.

Both articles contain decent 4mm scale drawings which also gave the interior layout for each vehicle along with some decent images of exteriors / interiors in the first.

From the first the 'pub' names were given as:

7892      At The Sign Of The White Horse

7893      At The Sign Of The Jolly Tar

7894      At The Sign Of The Dolphin

7895      At The Sign Of The Bull

7896      At The Sign Of The Salutation

7897      At The Sign Of The Three Plovers

7898      At The Sign Of The Green Man

7899      At The Sign Of The George & Dragon

Edited by SP Steve
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Gould, "Bulleid's SR Steam Passenger Stock" (Oakwood 1980), has several pages dedicated to these sets. 

He notes that some of these sets initially saw service on the Eastern Region, and I recall mention somewhere of the Master Cutler in this respect. 

20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

He notes that some of these sets initially saw service on the Eastern Region, and I recall mention somewhere of the Master Cutler in this respect. 

The first MRC article states:

"The original allocation of the eight sets was:

Southern Region - The Atlantic Coast Express (2 sets)

Eastern Region - The Master Cutler, The White Rose, The Norfolkman and the North Country Continental (2 sets)

Eastern/Midland Region - The South Yorkshireman"

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Didn't Southern Pride produce a kit for these once?  

Personally I'm not going to stick brickpaper onto the side of a BR Mk 1.

First thing that I did was check their website.

They seem to be winding down. Hardly anything in stock. I could not find the Tavern Cars at all.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

There is also information and photos in "Southern Style - Southern Region" by John Harvey, published in 2018 by the HMRS.

Jonathan

Are there by any chance any photos of the Tavern Car signs in this book?

Thanks

Simon

Wizard models do the ex Comet Coaches kits for the rebuilt versions:

S14a    Rebuilt Tavern Kitchen Car

S14b    Rebuilt Tavern Trailer Car

Also I think Crownline did kits for the same rebuilt versions along with transfers for the inn signage.

29 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Are there by any chance any photos of the Tavern Car signs in this book?

There is a b&w picture in the first MRC article depicting the sign for the White Horse

Here's a picture for the interior of the Tavern car:

https://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10328577

Edited by SP Steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/11/2020 at 16:28, Joseph_Pestell said:

First thing that I did was check their website.

They seem to be winding down. Hardly anything in stock. I could not find the Tavern Cars at all.

No. Apparently it's a change of direction. He's going more for the etched brass part of the business as they sell better.

The plastic coaches were already on the "to be discontinued" list which was meant to last a few years. But people started hoovering them up and they don't have any left. It seems to be the clear plastic sides that are the problem.

Some are planned to return such as the TPOs and specials such as the Departmental stock. But the bog standard Mark 1s won't, for now.

He's discontinued things before such as the Bulleid coaches which are back in stock. Funnily enough including Tavern Cars....

Look under Southern Region on the website.

Jason

On 09/11/2020 at 17:13, SP Steve said:

Wizard models do the ex Comet Coaches kits for the rebuilt versions:

S14a    Rebuilt Tavern Kitchen Car

S14b    Rebuilt Tavern Trailer Car

They do the original versions as well.

S11AK: SR Bulleid D2663 64ft6in Original Tavern Kitchen Car

S11BK: SR Bulleid D2664 64ft6in Original Tavern Trailer Car

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/?s=tavern&post_type=product&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=0&sku=1&orderby=date-DESC&ixwps=1