Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0T (More or Less)

15 hours ago, steaming_chris said:

Hi Stuart,

Do you have a thread/topic to your industrial layout ? I've really enjoyed your previous pictures.

Regards,

Hi Chris - thanks for your kind comments. I did start a kind of layout thread earlier in the year but I focussed it on what I was doing at the time rather than a more general look at the layout. I had also forgotten that work progresses at a geological pace on my layout because I prefer building loco's, so after an initial burst of enthusiastic construction work it all ground to a halt again back in April !

Perhaps time to revive it with a bit of history, and more of an overall take on the layout itself. Who knows, it might even inspire me to get on with something.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi Chris - thanks for your kind comments. I did start a kind of layout thread earlier in the year but I focussed it on what I was doing at the time rather than a more general look at the layout. I had also forgotten that work progresses at a geological pace on my layout because I prefer building loco's, so after an initial burst of enthusiastic construction work it all ground to a halt again back in April !

Perhaps time to revive it with a bit of history, and more of an overall take on the layout itself. Who knows, it might even inspire me to get on with something.

I know how you feel.
Lockdown, coupled with a serious medical event on top of those I already have, LOL, really messed up my modelling.
I'm only now starting regular maintenance of my trainset and starting to play trains again.
RM Web and an American you tube site, Virtual Railfan, has kept my railway juices flowing.
I will look forward, with interest, to seeing more of your layout and It's operation, in future.
Regards,
Chris.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Barclay said:

We want a track plan! :)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Inspired by 92912's Random Filth post I have acquired some of the AK interactive washes and been experimenting on the Hawthorn. I think I have a way to go to obtain that level of realism but it's something to aim for and I am very impressed by these products. I find myself torn regarding the livery - it looks well enough to the naked eye but most photo's show up the decal backing sheet still, despite many coats of softener. This is a rare shot that seems to get away with it and shows the loco as you actually see it. The alternative is that the Saltport Harbour Authority absorbs the SEL's fleet and it gets a repaint in my standard GWR green with a brass number plate. I'm still mulling that one over...

IMG_20210219_084819.thumb.jpg.a9eca079589ef0179fc9d15414ce9350.jpg

Edited by Barclay
  • Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Just catching up with this Stuart and the end result is really rather good: I hope it goes as well as it looks.

I don't like the lettering, mostly as I think it's about twice the size it should be and surely it should be centred on the horizontal as well as the centre line of the tanks? That's nothing to do with me, of course and that's entirely my problem, but the weathering is lovely!

Adam

• Thanks 1

Thanks it goes very well. Still procrastinating about the paint - I was pleased with the weathering and am wondering if I can get away with removing the lettering and weathering from the tanks without disturbing the rest, then just partially re-weathering. Probably end up painting it for a third time!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 8 months later...

I've decided that my next project after the 48Ds will be powering and detailing my SR body.  I have a set of etched NS 0-6-0 frames that I picked up in a remnants 'bin' at a show.  Made by TMD they're probably for an Irish prototype but actually fit the body quite well.  Some adaptation will be needed, mainly filing the height down a bit.  Wheels will be a bit larger than other industrials.  I'm intending to use a set of AG Pannier Tank wheels, 4'7" diameter which will fit quite well into the front splashers and avoid all the  unpleasant cutting away of them away.  From my 'stash' I have dug out a DS10 motor with flywheel already attached to a brass motor mount and gears (approx 50:1 I think) which seems to run very smoothly.  Chimney, dome smokebox front, safety valves etc. all from my 'bits collection', chosen at (almost!) random for their fit and appearance.  I'll start a thread once I get going with it - which may be a little while yet!

BTW, I've thoiught that the SR body may well be based on an LSWR G6?  Looks very similar to photos I've found.

• Like 3

Before I start a new thread (Industrials or Kit and Scratch Building?) here's a couple of shots of the 'raw materials'.

2005850573_SRTankbasiccomponents.1.jpg.ed852658ad5bec99c7bddcdcfe5fdf4c.jpg

My body appears to be rather more 'distressed' than Barclay's, it must have had a hard life in various boxes of unwanted items over the years.  I picked it up at the Shipley Show about 3/4 years ago along with a Graham Farish Black 5 body (up for grabs if anyone interested) and GF Merchant Navy - which has since gone to a new and appreciative home.  I was told that if I didn't buy them they would go in a skip - so I had to, didn't I!  The cost was nominal, basically a donation to the club funds I suppose.  The chassis etch side frames (which include some nice brakegear and split coupling rods) will need approx. 1 - 1.5mm filing off the top edges and I will need to mill/saw/file/hack material away from the areas behind the buffer beams for the chassis to fit, similar to the way Barclay did on his.  The TMD idea for compensation seems a bit odd to me and I will cut 6mm slots for hormblocks/axleboxes instead.  The rear axle will be fixed (but removable as is my wont) fitted with the DS10 and gearbox. The gearbox looks almost Branchlines but I don't think it is.  There were a lot of similar etched versions around in the 80's when I suspect this was 'created' originally.  State of the Art at the time!  I will strip this down for a good clean but it ran very nicely when I tested it with leads.  The boiler fittings, smoke box door etc. seen above are shown below roughly placed in position.  I think they are OK from a proportion aspect.  Cab roof may well be filed flat and a brass/NS one made instead.  The smokebox door is planned to have a wheel closure rather than handles (Wizard ex-Mainly Trains etches) and I will need to source tank fillers and steps in due course.  Any advice on this?

1112270233_SRTankbasiccomponents.2.jpg.23a19fea83ccbd91f493a692132c85bd.jpg

Keep a look out for the new thread - but not in the immediate future!

• Like 5

I think you should keep it in the industrial section, assuming it is to represent an industrial loco rather than a freelance light railway engine or similar?

Wizard do a variety of etched steps by the way. I used some left over from a kit. The boiler fittings look good. I wonder how many other Reidpath tanks have been built in P4 ?

37 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I think you should keep it in the industrial section, assuming it is to represent an industrial loco rather than a freelance light railway engine or similar?

Wizard do a variety of etched steps by the way. I used some left over from a kit. The boiler fittings look good. I wonder how many other Reidpath tanks have been built in P4 ?

Could be either.  My 'layout bucket list' has both in it!  A light railway with industrial connections or an extensive industrial railway with a 'main line'.  Think Pensnett Railway.

I've just been on the Wizard site and none of the steps float my boat sadly.  I'll probably end up making some (with reference to Guy Williams I expect) along with the tank fillers although I've found a few here and there (AG, Dart Castings etc.)  Did you stay with the SR cast-on fillers?  Mine are a bit 'feeble' TBH.

If I do get it built I would like to take it (eventually!!) to Scaleforum and try it on the test track with as much stock behind it as possible to see how good its haulage capabilities might be.

• Like 2

I meant to ask Mr Barclay what tool he used in the Dremel to cut away the excess behind the buffer beams to fit the chassis.  I've got a fair selection of burrs and 'stones' but they're all a bit 'fine' possibly for such aggressive techniques!

I think haulage will be 'adequate', as Rolls-Royce used to say. I didn't touch the tank fillers on mine but I don't think they were quite as understated as yours.

The tool I used had a rounded end about 1/4" diameter, and was covered in little spiky projections, for want of a better description! I found things got a lot easier at higher speed, at which I suspect it was starting to melt the lead as well as gouge it away. I did start with my little 40 year old Minicraft drill, but it was at the edge of its capabilities whereas the Dremel, which doesn't get much modelling use usually, just motored through it.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

Was this thing based on a prototype or just freelance?

I said above that my impression is that it could be based on an LSWR G6 loco.  I think SR probably supplied it in a selection of liveries, rather like Hornby did in the clockwork O gauge trainsets.