Rick's '89-'94 Highlands Workbench - FPA Container Flats

Welcome!

The layout I want to build one day will be based on the Highland Mainline in the period 1989 to 1994.  That is what I'm aiming for, but with an acceptable amount of modeller's license on a bit of date and location stretching it might be "anywhere North of Perth" at virtually any time from the formation of BR onwards.  I would be the first to admit that I'm easily distracted, and there’s lots of other railway subjects that take my interest, but I will try to keep what I post in this thread ‘on topic’, and if I do something random, I’ll post it elsewhere.  I’ve picked ’89-’94 because I wanted to keep the time frame fairly small, but those dates cover most of the things I’d like to model; a fair bit of large logo and blue/grey carriages at the start, through to sector liveries and ‘celebrity’ loco repaints towards the end.  After years of collecting, and putting some effort into detailing, modifying, repainting, weathering, and DCCing etc, I've got quite a lot of the locos and stock I want to run a representation of the trains seen on the Perth – Inverness route.  The spec I try to work to is everything detailed and weathered, close coupled and nothing that looks out of place.  Thanks to DCC, locos will all be sound fitted, with good quality speakers, and have lighting functions mapped to allow prototypical operation.  Eventually I’d like to fit lights in all carriages.  

Not a complete list, but some of what I’ve got is:

Far too many 37s Not enough 37s.

A few 26s, and 47s, plus other classes seen in the area at the time.

A load of Mk2s in appropriate liveries for ScotRail services.

An 8+2 HST for the ‘Highland Chieftain’.

Mk2 aircons for the ‘Clansman’.

A full 15 coach Sleeper and Motorail set, which with two 37s on the front will always be far too big for any layout I’ll ever be able to own, but I like the idea!

47/7 with ScotRail Express Mk3s and DBSO.

Loads of different engineer’s wagons, a tamper, a crane, etc.

What I’m lacking most is air braked wagons to represent the freight on the route, and that will be some of the first stuff I post because I’m working on it at the moment.  I tend to take pictures with my phone camera while I'm making things, but I'll try to remember to take some better quality ones as I go forward.  I’ll leave it there for now, and attach a picture of my display case, with a small selection of stock that I like to keep out of boxes to remind me what I’m supposed to be working towards when I start thinking buying some Swiss HOm is a good idea (it is a good idea though).

20201109_192648.jpg.c13bb63c88a85b65bbde96ba6e7e96d5.jpg

Cheers

Rick

Edited by Rick_Skateboard
  • Like 5

• Rick_Skateboard changed the title to Rick's '89-'94 Highlands Workbench - Scottish Malt Distillers Polybulk
  • RMweb Premium

That looks fab. I’ve almost completed one (started about 4 years ago) but no transfers available at the time, have another in plain white and one still needing the ends cleaning up a bit more. That said they are not to the standard you have managed.

image.jpeg.b88fec473a881cb27b1c3834b22ca059.jpeg

Regarding the bogies there is a yellow/mustard coloured version that has Y25 bogies and the other I think I can glue the Cambrian frames over the housings that come out. 

Out of interest what did you use for the blue? I used a Tamiya aerosol - not far off but I think yours looks a little more natural.

Now I’m really supposed to be getting on with my 60’s smaller layout but this is making me think I really should order some Railtec transfers.

Out of interest these often ran with the slightly different Grainflow Polybulks, are you also tackling one of those? I’ve got one that’s a cut and shut of 2 Joueff short hoppers but really needs a lot more work. 

Great work and looking forward to seeing the layout especially if it’s anywhere near the standard of your rolling stock. Always been a favourite location of mine.

• Like 2

Excellent job, that paint job and conversion has made a brilliant model. Got me thinking about doing one or two now... absolute no need for one on my layout but it looks brilliant.

Looking forward to seeing more projects appear.

All the best

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SHerr said:

Out of interest what did you use for the blue? I used a Tamiya aerosol - not far off but I think yours looks a little more natural.

Now I’m really supposed to be getting on with my 60’s smaller layout but this is making me think I really should order some Railtec transfers.

Out of interest these often ran with the slightly different Grainflow Polybulks, are you also tackling one of those? I’ve got one that’s a cut and shut of 2 Joueff short hoppers but really needs a lot more work. 

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

SHerr, seeing your polybulk on here was one of the things that set me up to have a stab at this; you should absolutely carry on with them. Your Abercaldy layout was looking great, are you still working on it?  To be honest I think your blue captures it better than mine!  I used Humbrol no.14 “French Blue”, and at the last minute I thought it looked the wrong shade and mixed some darker blue I had into it.  I do think mine is too dark, although lighting makes a huge difference.  I’d be happier if the blue was a bit lighter and the transfers stood out a bit more against it.  I would like to do a Grainflow polybulk, but I’ve got a bit of a list to work through first!  Any pictures to show of yours?

Cheers

Rick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments and good to see my layout has provided some inspiration.

I think I used French Blue as well but not Humbrol, I think looking again some matt or satin varnish is probably all that's needed to tome it down a bit.

I've attached the only photo I can find of the large Grainflow, its pretty basic from the Spares without ends that you used to be able to get. It needs a lot of detailing at some point and possibly new bogies as not the smoothest runner.

IMG_1356.jpg.0d056fc01c4e2e6312ffedf415cd20fc.jpg

Unfortunately Abercaldy is no more - it didn't really work in the garage, too cold and curves too tight. I am currently working on a simple (ish) 60's Great North of Scotland layout in the loft and have a bigger Norfolk 80's layout where the Polybulk's will still run but that is going through major changes to what is posted on here - again problems with curves amongst other things - I will learn!! but what can also be see is I always start again before finishing! This time I am determined not to - honest.

• Like 3

Nice job with the polybulk.

23 hours ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

... I've got some 3D printed FPAs to look at next.

Cheers

Rick

Like these I'm guessing...

852360037_FPAwagons.jpg.7bc457eb71c8fbe62f28007bef7b5fdb.jpg1548618272_FPAwagonunderneath.jpg.0af863eeb583167289341cb574249998.jpg

Edited by Flood
  • Like 6

Yes indeed, the same 3D prints.  I wanted some of these wagons as they often appear in photos of trains to Inverness, and these 3D prints certainly seem like an "easy win”; all they need is painting, bearings, wheels and buffer heads putting in.  The wagons are printed in pairs, and ideally, I'd like 4 or 6, but I've got reservations about 3D printing, and they're not cheap, so I thought I'd get a pair to see how they are. 

I cleaned them up in the ultrasonic bath with a bit of warm water and washing up liquid when they arrived.  Since finishing the Polybulk I've cut the two wagons part, cleaned up some of the surfaces, and painted them, one coat of primer and one coat of gloss black - from Halfords rattle cans. 

Initial thoughts are as I'd feared.  They are very finely detailed, but the plastic is very brittle, and I've knocked a couple of bits off, although thankfully managed to grab them and glue them back on.  Maybe I’m clumsy!  3D printing allows you to produce things that would be virtually impossible by other methods, but the material isn't as good as injection moulding, in my opinion.  The other issue is printing lines and rough surfaces, although these wagons are very nicely designed and printed, and don’t suffer too badly from this.

Once the black is dry it should just be a case of putting transfers on and some varnish.  I haven’t worked out exactly how the brake callipers attach yet, but I think due to them being so fragile they need to go on after the wheels go in for the final time.  I also need to think about couplings and weight, although the open frame nature of the wagons will make that difficult.  Eventually they’ll have some coal containers on them, which is the obvious place to hide some weight.

20201110_231150.jpg.d4f43fe5ae85e6c5b23e5d49dfd7a5a0.jpg20201110_234022.jpg.5a832256e366b6d1257f58ad69a3e78f.jpg

Cheers

Rick

• Like 3

I have put the brake calipers onto the black one and they do need the wheelsets to go in first. I used a pair of fine nose tweezers to line them up to the insert hole at an angle and then slowly ease them into position.

The vertical section at the far end of the caliper is very easy to break off but as these are hidden by the wheel or the axle guard then you can't see them anyway.

I have four of them as in the photo. I would have liked one more so if you want an odd number as well I'd certainly buy one off you for half the Shapeways price.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SHerr said:

Thanks for the comments and good to see my layout has provided some inspiration.

I think I used French Blue as well but not Humbrol, I think looking again some matt or satin varnish is probably all that's needed to tome it down a bit.

I've attached the only photo I can find of the large Grainflow, its pretty basic from the Spares without ends that you used to be able to get. It needs a lot of detailing at some point and possibly new bogies as not the smoothest runner.

IMG_1356.jpg.0d056fc01c4e2e6312ffedf415cd20fc.jpg

Unfortunately Abercaldy is no more - it didn't really work in the garage, too cold and curves too tight. I am currently working on a simple (ish) 60's Great North of Scotland layout in the loft and have a bigger Norfolk 80's layout where the Polybulk's will still run but that is going through major changes to what is posted on here - again problems with curves amongst other things - I will learn!! but what can also be see is I always start again before finishing! This time I am determined not to - honest.

I've just caught up with the Norfolk layout thread, it looks excellent, the station has real presence.  Hopefully you’ll be able to make it work and get it running how you want it.  The Grainflow looks great, I’m more an more tempted to have a go at one.  

The blue on my Scottish Polybulk looked so much better after I matt varnished it, so that might help yours too, although I still think your colour is better anyway.

• Thanks 1

Quick update on the FPAs, they're black now, and I've put the transfers on one.  I realised after about two individual numbers that doing it that way was a mug's game!  I've now ordered some ready made TOPS panels from Precision Decals.  I noticed from looking at photos that a lot of them had red bufferbeams, so I might do that on one of mine.  

20201111_191347.jpg.ddea812273d946c948ce6f5083c3ecb6.jpg

Cheers

Rick

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Quick update on the FPAs, they're black now, and I've put the transfers on one.  I realised after about two individual numbers that doing it that way was a mug's game!  I've now ordered some ready made TOPS panels from Precision Decals.  I noticed from looking at photos that a lot of them had red bufferbeams, so I might do that on one of mine.  

20201111_191347.jpg.dc3f0127921359437d9eba5eac7ec713.jpg

Cheers

Rick

Evening Rick, dont blame you with the individual numbers, drives you round me round the bend, thankfully these days there are plenty of transfer suppliers to make life a lot easier!

All the best

James

• Like 1

• Rick_Skateboard changed the title to Rick's '89-'94 Highlands Workbench - FPAs
  • RMweb Premium

One other common air braked wagon to think about for the HML is the LPG tanks. A lot of the Speedlink services in various books have between 2 and 6 within the formation. 

I had a go at one a few years ago. Quite an easy conversation from the Bachmann TTA which I’m surprised you don’t see more of.

Railtec do the Orange stripes as well, my Hazchem code is wrong but I think you can order DIY ones now.

I was lucky enough to get 6 Bachmann ones of eBay for almost nothing as they had broken walkways and the worst weathering job ever seen. They have serviced a multitude of other projects.

image.jpeg.2fe2eff3ad23ed7d03d1bf58b29d65a2.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks again for the positive responses guys.

The FPA TOPS panels arrived from Precision Decals, great quick service again, and are now on.  I gave the two wagons a coat of matt varnish and they’re drying now.

My next target was going to be a pair of Lima Grainflow PAAs, but after dismantling one of them I realised it was a lot more work than I first thought, so I’ve put them aside while I have a think!

20201112_145630.jpg.916e03e58ce8f403a8853c6dc6f1724d.jpg

On 14/11/2020 at 11:10, SHerr said:

One other common air braked wagon to think about for the HML is the LPG tanks. A lot of the Speedlink services in various books have between 2 and 6 within the formation. 

I had a go at one a few years ago. Quite an easy conversation from the Bachmann TTA which I’m surprised you don’t see more of.

Railtec do the Orange stripes as well, my Hazchem code is wrong but I think you can order DIY ones now.

I was lucky enough to get 6 Bachmann ones of eBay for almost nothing as they had broken walkways and the worst weathering job ever seen. They have serviced a multitude of other projects.

image.jpeg.2fe2eff3ad23ed7d03d1bf58b29d65a2.jpeg

So, funninly enough, I’ve decided to work on a couple of TTAs instead!  These are going to be LPG tanks, and I’ve started by changing the springs for Bruninghaus ones from Stenson Models.  I think I might do the other one as Gloucester pedestal suspension, for a bit of variety.  I’ve also removed the ladders, walkways, and tank filler, and given it a first round of filling and sanding.  I think the way Bachmann have made the tank in three pieces is particularly crap!  A quick coat of Halfords grey primer has revealed that some more smoothing is still required.  I’ve got whitemetal tank end covers from Genesis Kits, and I think I’ll be able to make up the other bits from plasticard and brass.

20201114_124154.jpg.92c6657f8c81b79352614671a6862805.jpg20201114_165143.jpg.00c242cdd3e5618816f8168a2c4dbebe.jpg

I'm also surprised that more people don't do these conversions, but there are a few nice ones on RMWeb.  I would have thought one of the manufacturers would do well with these ready to run.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Rick_Skateboard said:

Thanks again for the positive responses guys.

The FPA TOPS panels arrived from Precision Decals, great quick service again, and are now on.  I gave the two wagons a coat of matt varnish and they’re drying now.

My next target was going to be a pair of Lima Grainflow PAAs, but after dismantling one of them I realised it was a lot more work than I first thought, so I’ve put them aside while I have a think!

20201112_145630.jpg.a678e36985aab0aa27595f440c488fe3.jpg

So, funninly enough, I’ve decided to work on a couple of TTAs instead!  These are going to be LPG tanks, and I’ve started by changing the springs for Bruninghaus ones from Stenson Models.  I think I might do the other one as Gloucester pedestal suspension, for a bit of variety.  I’ve also removed the ladders, walkways, and tank filler, and given it a first round of filling and sanding.  I think the way Bachmann have made the tank in three pieces is particularly crap!  A quick coat of Halfords grey primer has revealed that some more smoothing is still required.  I’ve got whitemetal tank end covers from Genesis Kits, and I think I’ll be able to make up the other bits from plasticard and brass.

20201114_124154.jpg.8e126f718a32da59db4fb8407dc97d76.jpg20201114_165143.jpg.ca23404c3eb665b969eef5284472d94f.jpg

I'm also surprised that more people don't do these conversions, but there are a few nice ones on RMWeb.  I would have thought one of the manufacturers would do well with these ready to run.

Cheers

Rick

Looks good. I made the hatch from micro strip and then brass sheet filed to shape. Genesis didn’t do the ends when I made mine but found something that looked about right from a sprue.

I agree the 3 piece tank is appalling. Can’t understand why as they never sit flush to the next piece.

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2020 at 23:53, Rick_Skateboard said:

Scottish Malt Distillers Polybulk. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/maltsterspolybulk

47109 Markinch

20200918_111811.jpg.8c32c3a8193d3e12eeafddeff6f0fb93.jpg

I’ve read a few accounts on here of people doing this conversion, so I went on eBay and purchased an Electrotren 5602 hopper in ‘Tucher’ livery.  Despite being an HO model it is virtually perfect dimensionally for the Scottish Malt Distillers Polybulk in 4mm.  There is a general arrangement drawing on Paul Bartlett’s website along with photos of the wagons.  There are also a few pictures on Flickr, but overall, it wasn’t that easy to find good detail pictures of the wagons to work from.  simon br blue on this forum has made 3D printed models of these wagons in 7mm and 4mm scales, and was very helpful in providing information to help with the build. 

The most obvious issues with the model as it comes are different bogies, the ends of the hopper being the wrong shape, 5 discharge chutes not 3, swinging roof/lid, and moulded details in the wrong places.  I started by dismantling the wagon, removing the bogies, end platform, roof and carving and sanding off all the mouldings that are wrong.  I reprofiled the ends of the hoppers by gluing in a piece of plasticard and filling/sanding it smooth, and then filing the curve at the bottom out until it looked right.

20200924_012723.jpg.c6153809fbc04d998bc8df63015c1d19.jpg20200924_012724.jpg.2a1bc8c9ac3329851b64974093e45a4e.jpg20200925_232703.jpg.652b823d09dc50c05c8741d4cc0a978c.jpg

Once I knew what top looked like I made a new roof from plasticard with brass wire grab handles.  New bogies of the correct Y25 type are from Cambrian, and by luck the mountings they came with were perfect for the ride height.  I glued some NEM pockets to the underside of the bogies, packed down to the right height with some plasticard.  I made new railings for the end platforms from 0.7mm wire, and looking at it now I think I ought to have used something slightly finer.  Lastly on the body I made up some etched ladders and wire handrails that run along the top of the hopper.

20200926_011511.jpg.455c82a5825763bc74272387b14543ed.jpg20200927_001649.jpg.9810efd92347bbe0cfa1625c1fcd376f.jpg

The seams on the bodyside of the original model are different to the Scottish Malt wagon, so once I had the whole body smooth, I applied Archer Surface Details ‘Raised Panel Lines’ transfers to represent the welded seams between the panels.  I didn’t know how well this would work, but I was really pleased with how it looked once it had a coat of paint over it. 

20201028_184622.jpg.779307e31ff9da5980d150418b49c463.jpg

I made three new hopper chutes from plasticard, and added control wheels for these.  Then I made up and fitted other details like handbrake wheels, brake distributer, ferry hooks etc from various etches, bits taken off the model before dismantling, and bits from my scrapbox.

20201031_173932.jpg.073d99db4d3e3681e3a6930a337ab485.jpg

Masking up the livery was nerve wracking!  Getting the lines straight, parallel, and equally spaced was crucial because it would be really obvious if it was wrong!  In the end I was pleased when I pulled the masking tape off and got the first idea of how it looked, although seeing the contrast between the blue and white made me realise the blue is a bit too dark.  After that I masked the body off and sprayed the underframe and bogies black, followed by giving the whole thing a coat of gloss varnish before applying transfers.  At this point I realised some of the details on the solebars were in the wrong place, which I agonised over whether to change or not, for fear of damaging the paint job on the body.  In the end I carefully carved bits off and moved the ferry hooks and lifting points and touched the paint up, without causing too much damage!  The Railtec transfers went on really nicely, and were then sealed with a coat of matt varnish.

20201031_173934.jpg.28b412bba0bab6f8740b997528aea41b.jpg20201101_001607.jpg.9366fb4ba4b7e4064772782aea0d415d.jpg20201101_014420.jpg.83d9a5a9f94faf59cc3ad9e1a93dfd49.jpg20201104_202306.jpg.e2314052191aa45d88454c0c9c6e636d.jpg

So that's how I did it, others mighy have done it differently?  It was difficult to find much information, and I admit I was making it up as I went along!  This model is the most recent thing I've been working on, I've got some 3D printed FPAs to look at next.

Cheers

Rick

Rick, I'd seen the finished item in the gallery & said then how good this looks, thanks for posting up details of the work.

I've now realised 4 things:

1/ I can legitimately run one of these on my North Devon layout - seen at Lapford http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/north_devon_line_okehampton_web_optimised/342 Lapford Thur 19.6.86.html

2/ The Electrotren model is near enough to scale

3/ This is a darn sight easier to do than splicing 2 Jouef hoppers to make the Grainflow version as others have done

4/ I can't find anyone with stock of the Electrotren wagon in the UK :( - now keeping an eye open for one....

• Like 1

I love this thread Ive managed to buy 3 of the Electrotren Polybulks in the last week on Ebay from out of Europe(best done before Brexit kicks in proper haha) They are very far and few between though. Some in the states but they want a lot of money for them.

• Informative/Useful 1