on30

kevo

Hi all . i have been skipping  back and forth  in different scales  in narrow gauge  like a lot of us do . and have had two goes at on30   . one of my favorite Bachmann locos is the

2-4-4 forney  . have ing had around 3 of them  then sold them on  .i decided this one i would try and stick with as i hope to start a new project  at some point . but one pet hate of mine is nice shiney clean locos espicaly  steam locos i like them to show a hard working look . so this time i wanted to try some thing different ,  call it laziness but i just didnt want to set up my air brush so i had recently brought some of the humbrol weather powders and have been really pleased with the results  so far .  i know some people find it hard to understand why you would want to in there words ruin  a loco but i putt my hands up i enjoy it  .  hope you like my attempt so far . 

20201109_194759.jpg

• Like 5

Nice looking Shay  there  Jeff  you got a good finish with  rust and dust  . one thing i found use ing weathering powders  is  jeff  . They seem to need something to grip on to . so i give the whole loco a coat of matt acrylic varnish  1st  then applied the powders  i have only tried the Humbrol range  so far and nothing has come off when i handel  the loco . and i have not sealed them with another coat of matt varnish   but some people do  and also then have said it wipes out the powders you putt on so bit hard to say on that , i will just leave mine as they are . 

• 2 weeks later...

Weathering powders will get diluted by a matt coat, yes, so it's best to build up the effect in layers. The way most people approach this is they "go heavy" on the powder application and then tone it down with the matt coat, rinse and repeat until you're happy with the end result.

Personally since I've gotten into airbrushing I've stopped using weathering powders altogether. I find that they're just too expensive for what they are because you use up so much of them on each project with doing the multiple layers. If you skip the matt coat you will use less weathering powder, but then handling the loco knocks off the finish. I find I can get the same results or better with an airbrush for much less money, material, and time, so as a result I just haven't had the cause to bring them back out of storage.

They look good when first applied but I don't think I'd ever go back to them.

• 2 months later...

Hi  as i have been  waiting for some paint to dry  on recent project . my thoughts Driffted  away  to one of my on30  locos i had been working on  last year . its a Mount Blue on30   body shell  kit  to fit a bachann  ho Alco s-2  switcher  chassi . i had got so far with it then left it . in the end i picked up on it again . sprayed  and weathered it apart from cab window glaze ing and cab door hand rails its finished . its my 1st attemped at a kit conversion  like this .  and i really enjoyed it . i have given it a well worn weather ing look with rust spots  probly not every ones cup a tea:sarcastichand:  but i like doing it . so some thing a bit different to add to my on30 stock , now all i have to do is build a small layout to run it on :D.

20210215_154047.jpg

20210215_154118.jpg

20210215_154131.jpg

20210215_154244.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Jeff  i did spray the body in matt  varnish before  i sprayed  a coat of primer on .   it looked ok after this  . so when dry a top colour  was sprayed on . the cab glazeing as supplied is peel and stick but i have yet to do this  i may even fix my own  . ile let you know how it goes