A specific question about a specific gunpowder van (how mysterious)...

Otis JB

• RMweb Gold

Peter Tatlow's volume one (page 69) only has a photograph of the later 'Iron Mink lookalike' but has a table listing an earlier design which I suspect is your photograph. According to the table it was GN page/block 17/16, load 8 tones, body dimension 16-0x 7-8 and a 9'6 wheel base.

David

• Informative/Useful 2

This photograph features as plate 89 in LNER Wagons before 1948 Vol 1  (Cheona, 2003), where the dimensions are given as 13ft 6in over headstocks with a wheelbase of 8ft.

Plate 91 in the same book shows another Great Northern gunpowder van, No 9268, which is one of the vehicles alluded to by Fen End Pit.  This is an outside framed wooden van generally similar to the contemporary ordinary goods vans (see p41 of the Tatlow volume).

D

• Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, Fen End Pit said:

Peter Tatlow's volume one (page 69) only has a photograph of the later 'Iron Mink lookalike' but has a table listing an earlier design which I suspect is your photograph. According to the table it was GN page/block 17/16, load 8 tones, body dimension 16-0x 7-8 and a 9'6 wheel base.

David

10 hours ago, Darryl Tooley said:

This photograph features as plate 89 in LNER Wagons before 1948 Vol 1  (Cheona, 2003), where the dimensions are given as 13ft 6in over headstocks with a wheelbase of 8ft.

Plate 91 in the same book shows another Great Northern gunpowder van, No 9268, which is one of the vehicles alluded to by Fen End Pit.  This is an outside framed wooden van generally similar to the contemporary ordinary goods vans (see p41 of the Tatlow volume).

D

Thank you both, I will be making a 3D model of this to print in the near future and this information is very much appreciated.

Regards

• Like 1