Llamberg Railway

Andymsa

9 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Why does reading your blog always make me feel that I am cutting corners and doing things on the cheap :( , I wish I had the ability to create the engineering required to make it all run at the same standard that you are building everything.

most definitely a master class on the best ways to be doing everything!!

thank you for the kind words, but I don’t consider myself having such ability

• Like 1

Work has now started on the gradient to the existing level from the new station area. Surprisingly this has gone well, it’s about 95% complete now and next will be building new base board to connect existing storage to the new station baseboard and adding a new point so trains can come from a different direction aswell. What you can’t see is an existing  tunnel entrance at the end of the framing level on the right hand side.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

On 05/02/2021 at 08:58, RobinofLoxley said:

The spirit level is in there again!

one for robin, I may need therapy for my fetish :D I do have a laser level aswell

i do have several more aswell

2B905232-A8E8-462E-8308-388AFCEA4FC9.jpeg

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

5 hours ago, Andymsa said:

one for robin, I may need therapy for my fetish :D I do have a laser level aswell

i do have several more aswell 

it does worry me this is a new fetish i dont klnow about

5 hours ago, Andymsa said:

DC032AFB-3893-483A-B8BC-9F4CEF9D51D6.jpeg

Edited by ahellary

Today I have finished the gradient from the new station and made the new baseboard connection from the storage sidings towards the the gradient. Work has started on the other connection towards the gradient, unfortunately this has involed more work than expected. This is due to the track taking a different route than I planed, at the same time I’m now tackling the sharp radius bend that a couple of trains derail on as previously mentioned. I have added new supports in different locations and have removed others, this has given more room  for a more sweeping curve. And no levels are present :D

update there is a possibility that the new baseboard may be scrapped, the reason is a new point will have to go in but there are supports in the way leading out of the point so I am going to re look at the plan  

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

Well I have roughly laid out something as you can see, and some feedback would be helpful. Hopefully the issue can be seen in the photo with the point that the left hand side runs into a support because of the wider radius of the point. And was planned to go into the storage sidings in the other photo on the right side of the photo, the other route from the point goes to the new connection where the de railing problem is as shown in previous photos. The new idea is in the overall photo where the storage is on the right is to have a curve which is roughly laid out in the photo and to cross under the two main lines that the blue spirit level is on and to run parallel to the new gradient into the new station. In principle it seems to work but I like to have others thoughts on this, which is do I try to move the supports which will be quite involved or try the new idea which may have problems with the clearance under the main lines. Both ideas have plus and minus points. 
there is of course another option is to destroy the whole hill side and start anew which I am trying to avoid as I quite like it.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry Andy its really hard to understand from the photos where the problem areas lie. When you know youself what you are referring to it can be hard to communicate it to others. One trouble is that unless I'm being a complete oaf there is no way to zoom in to the photos as the feature exists on my PC but doesnt zoom when activated. So one way or another I have no idea what you are referring to. Perhaps you could highlight the offending areas or something? Otherwise there's too mch 'stuff' everywhere to work out what is OK and what isnt.

2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Sorry Andy its really hard to understand from the photos where the problem areas lie. When you know youself what you are referring to it can be hard to communicate it to others. One trouble is that unless I'm being a complete oaf there is no way to zoom in to the photos as the feature exists on my PC but doesnt zoom when activated. So one way or another I have no idea what you are referring to. Perhaps you could highlight the offending areas or something? Otherwise there's too mch 'stuff' everywhere to work out what is OK and what isnt.

im using an iPad and I just click on the photo then I zoom in, but that’s a good point you make about highlighting things

As been pointed out by robin of loxley I have highlighted the areas I’m describing.

the photo with the problem point is circled in red.

the other photo, the red line sows where I’m proposing to run the track, the green line shows where I was going to run the track towards the ring photo of the point. And the clearance between the main line and the proposed new track alignment is the blue line. 

Edited by Andymsa
  • Informative/Useful 1

I certainly can't see how the track can avoid the support with the point in place. You can't go tighter presumably the curve would be too sharp - hard to get the perspective - so it's outside then place the point beyond where the inside track fouls the support. But I don't know what the consequences are. 

1 hour ago, RobinofLoxley said:

The thing I find interesting is that you are building the layout freestyle without obvious detail planning - a consequence of the open support system. Quite the opposite of my approach but I'm only building in 2 dimensions!

there is some sort of rough plan, personally I have found in the past with detailed planing that there can be a tendency to try to add to much track. Also things tend to need to be tweaked when the build starts, I’d rather spend time building than trying to plan. The only reason I have the current issue is I am trying to add new to old, if the whole area was started from fresh there be no problem. Building open plan doesn’t mean you can’t do detailed planning but not my thing, personally I love open plan because changes can be so easy, the other reason this change is harder is I’m try to preserve the landscape in this area unlike the other changes I have done where it was ripped out.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, RobinofLoxley said:

I certainly can't see how the track can avoid the support with the point in place. You can't go tighter presumably the curve would be too sharp - hard to get the perspective - so it's outside then place the point beyond where the inside track fouls the support. But I don't know what the consequences are. 

I have taken a day or two away from things to chew things over as I don’t want to make rash choices. The point cannot be moved from the current planed location and your right the radius would be to tight if move to the inside. It’s looking more and more that the point won’t be installed, and I will go with the other option.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andymsa said:

I have now made the alterations, the new route baseboards are in and gradient has been fixed.

F31B0ECB-D543-413A-90DE-0E168703CF7B.jpeg

Beware, engineer at work: a rather good angled cantilever support.

Paul.

Looks a bit like threading a needle getting that track through. Probably just the perspective but the curve looks tight. Was able to use the cantilever as a point of reference to undertsand before and after! And I dont think youve shown us the mod where you had to take the point out, its sort of 'round the back'?

2 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Looks a bit like threading a needle getting that track through. Probably just the perspective but the curve looks tight. Was able to use the cantilever as a point of reference to undertsand before and after! And I dont think youve shown us the mod where you had to take the point out, its sort of 'round the back'?

the point was never actually installed, I’m working on the base board for that section at the moment. Hopefully that will be finished in a few hours. The curve you refer to is about a radius 3 although the photo shows it much tighter due to the perspective.

• Like 1

The new baseboard connections have been done, the gradient was moved outwards to allow the new level section towards the new station to go in. The location where the point was going to go has been realigned for a wider curve and the problem location where the curve was to tight has been redone with a wider radius.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1

I have roughly now laid out the new station approach for the new station. Various track layouts have been tried and I think I will go for the one in the third photo. The other work adding in the new connections where I relaid the curve and connections to the station have been finished and tested with no issues.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

I have roughly now laid out the new station approach for the new station. Various track layouts have been tried and I think I will go for the one in the third photo. The other work adding in the new connections where I relaid the curve and connections to the station have been finished and tested with no issues.

D0293C8A-DF20-4290-BF29-4AA95906D52B.jpeg

B4EE1DF9-265F-489F-9A39-1AF033313EA1.jpeg

50F7B1F5-06E2-437F-80FF-B0C65D34F1EA.jpeg

I agree. The two slips and the scissors crossover definitely give that German look.

Something a bit different, I had to build this truss girder Bridge, it’s not finished yet as it’s only had it’s under coat put on and some planking has got to be added. I had to build it so i can work out the base board alignment. I had to add plasi card for the track to rest on instead of it being open plan as the track alignment did not look right so the track will have a slight curve running through the bridge.

Edited by Andymsa

Andy

Can you not bend the trusses to match the curve of the track by heating them gently and placing them over a former? Then you just cut the base to fit the curves. I think that would look better then having a curve on the straight deck of the bridge?