Llamberg Railway

Andymsa

• RMweb Gold
On 10/11/2020 at 09:44, Andymsa said:

These photos show the various stages of L girder construction in the new extension, the photo makes it look narrower than it is 

D3A6D699-8E13-4493-B26D-4098AEFFC71F.jpeg

86C652D6-2031-4436-85C9-2032CF811228.jpeg

3090C4E0-FC5E-4656-9AC5-61360D5E1136.jpeg

2A1F8C7D-1C0B-43DC-A5C7-92005519D73F.jpeg

B0149A69-67EE-451F-964D-1C2EDFB8BB6A.jpeg

There is a tantalising tease of a track plan in photo 2.  I wonder if we might be allowed to see it in full?

Best

Scott

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

There is a tantalising tease of a track plan in photo 2.  I wonder if we might be allowed to see it in full?

Best

Scott

I don’t actually have a track plan. What you can see is a white board with a design concept giving a rough outline, I use this to determine how train running would work or not. The one in the photo was a very early drawing and has changed quite a bit from then. I also use this drawing to determine left and right rail around the layout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2020 at 10:00, Andymsa said:

The commuter station takes shape, sorry it’s upside down can’t seem to correct it

E2AE4889-5FFD-45A0-8C93-BBCF591DE34D.jpeg

I had the same issue last night.  I think my phone 'remembers' which way up it was pointing when used in landscape mode.

The image looks fine in the phone's 'Gallery' but comes into Rmweb upside down. 

I found a fix was to open the file in your camera's editing/effects software, make a minor change (like crop it by a minuscule amount), then save it. The new file is stored the right way up. 

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I had the same issue last night.  I think my phone 'remembers' which way up it was pointing when used in landscape mode.

The image looks fine in the phone's 'Gallery' but comes into Rmweb upside down. 

I found a fix was to open the file in your camera's editing/effects software, make a minor change (like crop it by a minuscule amount), then save it. The new file is stored the right way up. 

Thanks that certainly works

• Like 1

These photos are of the roco track Points and shows the preparation of them. If you look there are two small bonding wires and a bond wire soldered to the underside of the blades. The wires are not directly soldered to the blade but I put a .7 mm copper wire soldered to the blade and the wire thus soldered to it. These bonds are just looped back up to the side of the point, it does not really matter how pretty they look as they are being installed in the storage sidings currently being built.

peco points are prepared the same way but on the underside of the blade there is a channel which I spread slightly and the copper wire is inserted into the channel.

i also use tillig points and are prepared differently as these are for the viewing area of the layout.

DADC73F6-49C5-436E-AC25-DF26421DA401.jpeg

81369E49-91AD-4B4F-B4FB-31D1DCDE65C5.jpeg

B7ECAE3D-D8F8-4752-AC9C-0B2BA05A4D01.jpeg

BE934FC7-D2C6-450F-92E8-1D0C9D5C7152.jpeg

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Update from photos posted yesterday at0033.

running tests completed after wiring and one mistake made, for some reason I wired up one point section with reversed polarity. Simple correction with two wires swapped, but that’s what you get when wiring when tired, but that’s what testing is for to find these errors. Track laying has now started for the 12 road storage siding all points for it now down but not wired as yet or any point motors fitted. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More track laid, I managed to squeeze in another point which is the one closest, but this resulted in a slight dog leg on each siding over. The reason I added the point was there was quite a gap between the far left siding and the next siding so decided to add the point. It takes a bit longer as the track is being reused and needs to be tidied up removing old wire feeds and previously soldered rail joiners.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

This is a roco double slip point, it was certainly a challenge to put the bonding on to it but I’m fairly pleased with the final effect. But does it work electrically that’s to been seen. I did have issues with the levels as you can see I had to put quite a bit of packing in, the issue is where I added a past bit of base board and there where slight differences in the plywood and Sundela thickness, which was cause the blades to bind. The copper bridges at each end were cut and will eventually form part of the frog wiring.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 3

Have now installed the tortoises, still to be wired. Track has been connected to the right hand side of the double slip, again issues with having to pack it because of the base board but test running with a coach showed no issues. And the old wiring has been stripped out completely ready for wiring up the new track. These are two groups of 16 feeds that go to two Digitrax bdl168s, each 16 outputs have a different coloured wire and the commons are group in 4s for each zone. Because I got detailed records and the colour coding this will be a simple task.the legs with the holes in is for shelving which is removed temporarily for access and does not support the layout. All point blades have had there bonding installed also.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wiring under way now after a few days off doing essential house maintenance. All the straight sections of plain track now wired, which comprises of 24 sections of track which are connected to occupancy detectors. The points are now being wired and to show where I need to wire droppers is shown in the photo with red pins showing the feeds to go back to the detector. The return wires have been completed and so those pins are removed which are white. The photo of the tortoise shows how I connect the wires to them.

the point motor feed backs are not wired yet.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 3

The best of us can overlook things, let me explain. Wiring of the sidings and point motors is now complete. During track testing with the volt meter it showed there was a short, after an hour and half and much head scratching  I found the issue. The new sidings uses Roco points, the frog area of the point is completely isolated with rail gaps made at factory, they also put two electrical links exit side of the frog. Normally this would not be an issue but as I had installed the Roco double slip and decided to completely isolate the frogs on the slip and the rail leading from the slip so it would switch polarity as the slip throws, this was done because the blades of the slip run beyond the frog rail gaps and could cause possible shorts or micro shorts as trains run through the slip. The logic was sound but what I did not take into account was the link wires on the normal points which was the source of the short. The fix was fairly simple once the fault was located, but the most important thing to take from this was the testing phase with the volt meter showed the issue before any track power is applied and stresses the point of through testing. The next job will be to re-install the main power busses so track testing can continue as these originally ran where I removed the duck under section. Once testing is complete I can then build the new station over these sidings which is the next phase of the changes.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The latest phase of work is now completed, no issues were found on power up. Did some test running with no issues with the latest work, although it did highlight a problem elsewhere with one specific train and a curve that’s just a bit to tight so will have to be relaid as this track is now two way and was originally only one way so the problem was not apparent, as the push pull trains are particularly susceptible.  Took the opportunity to redo the main power busses for this area and have also incorporated the dcc concepts power meter for this area as shown in the photo, which I got to adjust the Dcc voltage up a bit, the two black push buttons to the right are resettable fuses that I had to purchase separately that protect the power supply outputs and is rated at 8 amps for each button, as digitrax only supplies a 5 amp resettable fuse and I want to eventually have 8 amp boosters.  The power supply is the digitrax ps2012e. Construction of the next level has now begun and I do have a slight problem connecting this level into the existing layout as it’s about 4 inches higher than the existing level. So some head scratching to do.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 2

Have installed the first two sections of Sundela board, normally I screw and glue to 9 or 12 mm ply board and then screw down onto the frame or supports. But to reduce height the sundela is directly screwed to the framing and have cut the ply to fit between the frame and screwed and glued to the sundela.

Edited by Andymsa
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

That must have been a lot of cutting and shaping!

cutting the ply took around two hours, I did some other prep work aswell for the level that will go above this level. The area being worked on will be a station yet to be designed.

• Like 2

Why does reading your blog always make me feel that I am cutting corners and doing things on the cheap :( , I wish I had the ability to create the engineering required to make it all run at the same standard that you are building everything.

most definitely a master class on the best ways to be doing everything!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1