Christmas Layouts 2020

MrTea

• RMweb Premium

So what do we need? A Santa, a coal truck and some Christmas presents...

The whole thing in the making - just another 50 parcels to make...

50667365038_bb8348f22c_h.jpgWhatsApp Image 2020-11-29 at 13.18.57

Now we are there. The parcels are 4x4mm obeche wood, cut into squares, sanded, treated with sanding sealer, painted with all kind of colours and strings are added by the use of self adhesive metallised tape. Santa is actually a 7mm guy, we want a large Santa.. Beard and rucksack are made from miliput. A bit of paint and on we go. The whole thing can be removed, so the truck isn't lost.

50668179157_ede83959fb_h.jpg20201129_174526

And thats it. I live in Newport Pagnell - so the engine is of course one of the Newport (nobby) range. Webb coal tank, YouChoose/zimo sound.

50668154026_ee8332b7fe_b.jpg20201201_125801

Nice. What sort of track is that?

Edited by MrTea
Duplicate quote

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Zunnan said:

The Stainz starter set provides the normal tree service for ours, though we're being a little more 'mature' this year. I've laid an extension to the fridge and we have a rake of opens which just so happen to fit 3 beer bottles in each, and with a bit of sealant the doors have been made watertight for packing with ice for good measure, so the IVk has been drafted in for a bit more muscle on the heavier loadings.

I blame Christmas trips to Hamleys with my dad back in the '80s for my association of that little Stainz locomotive and a few 4 wheel coaches as being more a tree decoration than for the garden railway.

I like it, all we have left now is two Stainz sets, a goods and a passenger, all the other LGB (15 200 litres carriers of it) went last year to a buyer.......when we had the garden railway the tankers used to carry the alcohol to the poolside for us, very nice of LGB to put working taps on the tank wagons :lol:

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrTea said:

Nice. What sort of track is that?

This Roco line R4 - which is normally my test track. (the largest circle that fits my conservatory table...)

Very stable, has kind of interlocking plastic parts below the track, means your mechanical connection is not done by the metal railjoiners but rather by the (invisible) plastic parts below. 

No fear, when it comes to a layout I use Peco (much cheaper...)

Edited by Vecchio

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Vecchio said:

This Roco line R4 - which is normally my test track. (the largest circle that fits my conservatory table...)

Very stable, has kind of interlocking plastic parts below the track, means your mechanical connection is not done by the metal railjoiners but rather by the (invisible) plastic parts below. 

No fear, when it comes to a layout I use Peco (much cheaper...)

Sounds very similar to the Trix-C track which I have used for my layout.....for reasons gone into elsewhere, after building up the ground levels and weathering it looks really very good......and very reliable regarding electrical continuity, and no special wiring needed at point etc.

Our Christmas tree is staying outdoors this year, we went and bought it last week, a pot grown tree, and it looks so nice through the hall windows by the front door we have decided to keep it there and decorate it outside, well no little ankle biters will be visiting us this year....or anyone else.....so no need indoors really.

• Like 1