Walkabout controller.

sb67

I'd like to use a walkabout controller that I can just plug in and use on my layout. I was wondering what other people used ? 

The only one I've seen so far is the gaugemaster version. 

Many thanks.

If you like electronic projects, you can make your own. I have heard of someone fitting one into an old Coke can before. You would need a circuit diagram & some patience. I made one once & it did nothing.

I made a walkabout from a panel mount. I simply mounted it in a small box & put a lead & plug on it, so if there is a panel mount you like using, this may be an option.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If you like electronic projects, you can make your own. I have heard of someone fitting one into an old Coke can before. ....

Beer can  -  John Greenwood, at least 35 years ago, if not longer.  

However, if doing it today, modern beer cans (and coke cans) have thinner walls than those of a few decades ago.  They hold their shape when sealed and full of liquid, but crush much more easily in the hand when open.   That might make them a bit more difficult to reinforce for a hand held controller. 

Edited by Nigelcliffe
added second paragraph.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for Morley.  Their hand held is just a potentiometer and the works are in the base unit. There are only three wires and you can extend the hand held quite a lot, as in about 50 feet in our case, and even swap the hand held  between different baseboard mounted sockets

• Thanks 1

To quote Nigelcliffe: 

"However, these days, I'd get a PWM speed control module from Ebay/Amazon (one which goes down to 0% duty cycle, otherwise it doesn't go all the way to "stop"), fit a speed knob to it, plus a direction switch.   Power in from a DC PSU "power brick", and job done."

I bought one of these - delivery less than two weeks, price under 4 £/$/€ - works quite well with all my locos (old & recent, pancake & coreless, even factory chipped ...) since months. Amply rated at <35V, <5A ...

Several types available, looks something like this:

image.png.ebd6ea64b418ba2c40cf8eba256d79b5.png

No electronic expertise needed, just a bit soldering: fwd|rev switch, 4-pole connector. Power in by a 12V, 0.83A wall wart. No heat sink needed - does fit into quite a small, elegant control box.

Regards - CV

In Britain they are even cheaper than here in Germany - though same supplier. And prices are still falling.

Edited by CourthsVeil
Add re prices
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1