Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP Glen Woods (valued member of The 00 Wishlist Poll Team and many other railway groups)

BMacdermott

I never met him in person but we exchanged emails on several occasions and his in-depth knowledge was matched by the generosity with which he shared it. He was happy to help with my research on a couple occasions.

He will be greatly missed. Condolences to his friends and family at this difficult time.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news. Glen's contribution to the railway hobby was considerable, his knowledge of the goings on south of the Thames was wonderful. He helped me out several times with projects I was involved with.

He will be sadly missed.  Condolences to his friends and family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I worked with Glen for a couple of years at Lovers’ Walk and we actually lived within 100 yards of each other so became good friends. At that time he had a model of Bude in his loft, which I don't think was ever finished as his interests moved more towards history and research.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I was truly saddened to hear the news yesterday. 
I have known Glen for many years and always enjoyed his company and knowledge when we met up often involving a ride in suitable carriage stock on the Bluebell Railway. 
Glen was always generous to anyone with his knowledge and time to pass on information and answer any questions. 
I am pleased to advise that his collection of historical Southern Railway and Region documents and information will remain available via the Bluebell Railway Archive. 
RIP Glen 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Glen, had been helping me with Coaching Stock details, such as livery, Paint & "Set" information, he had completed over 40 Sets for us,

their was more, i wondered, why he hadn't got back to us, now we all understand, never meet him personally, but we communicated 

regularly.

Fantastic knowledge on the subject, will be sorely missed.

R.I.P. Glen

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

I worked with Glen for a couple of years at Lovers’ Walk and we actually lived within 100 yards of each other so became good friends. At that time he had a model of Bude in his loft, which I don't think was ever finished as his interests moved more towards history and research.

As far as I know, the layout was taken down when house decoration was needed many years ago. He moved to O gauge and 'slimmed down' his 00 collection some months back. We can now see why that 'slimming' was undertaken.

As part of that, he offered a number of locos 'free, gratis and for nothing' to the Poll Team and I was fortunate to receive West Country 34006 Bude - which was his favourite loco. Although it was 'free', I did assure him that I was making a decent donation to a charity and this pleased him greatly.

I forgot to say in my original post that you will find many milk and coaching stock related articles by Glen in the railway and model railway press - too many to list here - and that his name appears 'in credits' in numerous books, articles and websites.

Brian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Glen Woods was a fellow member of the Bluebell Railway Museum Archive volunteer team and will be missed, though his collection will be available in the Museum Archive and the legacy of his book will remain for those modelling the mid 1950s. Now more than ever is the need to progress with the Bluebell Museum Archive Room so that the vast records of railways in the south of England that the archive holds can be better made available online or in person.

He was also instrumental in setting up the South Eastern egroup on Yahoo in 2003 which has been very useful source of being able to ask questions on the pre-grouping period.

John Arkell

Membership Secretary, South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be late to this .I was was saddened to hear the death of Glen last November. I had known of him since 2003 and we corresponded regularly. First time I met him was at the Bluebell Railway in 2005 or 2006 and from there we were in regular contact. Every week from 2003 Glen was part of our group that corresponded online from the early days , at first written messages , then to Yahoo 360 with 'voice' and finally to Skype ,back when that started. Glen was regular every week up until he started to have health problems ,the last time he was on Skype was about a month or so before he passed. He visited the north several times and we would go to various railways...the last time he was up north though was back in 2016 when we went to North Wales for some narrow gauge steam. I often joked that he was my chauffeur when he would pick me up at Haywards Heath station several times over the years to go to the Bluebell railway .. A knowledgeable  person who would always pass on his knowledge and would gladly help in railway matters . Sadly missed by all who knew him.

Edited by clive s
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1