If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Wanted... Set of wheels for a NON split chassis Bachmann 57/8750 pannier

RobMG

I have a Bachmann  57XX pannier I am building new chassis for (perseverance)   I need a set of  NON  split chassis Bachmann wheels to complete. 

If anyone has a spare set left over after fitting Ultrascales or whatever and you want to be rid of them please contact me with price etc.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob - although this isn't quite what you were asking, but I recently was able to buy a complete set of Bachmann wheels for an 08, direct from Bachmann.

Out of interest, are these Bachmann wheels to go in a Perseverance chassis, then?

If so, just wondering why you didn't want to fit Markits wheels?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

Just to back up Captain Kernow's comment, it's possible to purchase compete wheelsets from Bachmann; I did it earlier this year, and it wasn't expensive.  The wheels came as an assembles set complete with coupling rod; all i had to do was drop off the keeper plate on the loco and tease the replacements into place.  Just drop them an email, but you'll need to be specific about class and livery (or give them the catalogue number of the original rtr loco you're working on).

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1

By coincidence I have just taken delivery of a wheelset for a Bachmann  '8750' pannier tank, fully assembled with coupling rods, for just £8, from ekmexhibitions.co.uk. I found them almost by accident when looking for a Bachmann Class 37 underframe on ebay, this item arrived with a Bachmann parts list with very attractive prices. I also ordered a set of wheels for an older Class 37 (37671, with 4 powered axles), 6 axles also for just £8.

These items appear to be brand new, as advertised. The pannier set has the drive gear at one end, this sounds like the one you need (mine is also non-split frame, no. 9753 from 2003, which always ran with a wobble - now it doesn't!)

No connection with ekmexhibitions, other than as a very satisfied customer.

17 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Hi Rob - although this isn't quite what you were asking, but I recently was able to buy a complete set of Bachmann wheels for an 08, direct from Bachmann.

Out of interest, are these Bachmann wheels to go in a Perseverance chassis, then?

I would fit fit Markits wheels, and I may well end up doing this.  The reason I was avoiding them at the moment  is because of cost.  I have various other projects, including a Mainline  mogul  to which I am fitting  Markits wheels btw., and other stuff to spend money on.  

Yes I am using a Perseverance chassis for the pannier.

Thank you for answering.

Rob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Rob, 

what are you doing about the con rods?  

ive had similar thoughts using Bachmann wheels into a Collett Goods chassis to save on buying a new set of wheels, but the blocking point is working out how to fit the chassis kits rods when the Bachmann crank pins are so thick 

5 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Rob, 

what are you doing about the con rods?  

ive had similar thoughts using Bachmann wheels into a Collett Goods chassis to save on buying a new set of wheels, but the blocking point is working out how to fit the chassis kits rods when the Bachmann crank pins are so thick 

Hi, 

Yes I had wondered about the crank pins, and that could be a major stumbling block.  Until I can have a look at the problem close up I don't really know.   I have in fact got a complete pannier I will take a look. If it looks like loads of work  I will get a set of Markit wheels.

Cheers for reminding me of that.

Rob

18 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I would fit fit Markits wheels, and I may well end up doing this.  The reason I was avoiding them at the moment  is because of cost.  I have various other projects, including a Mainline  mogul  to which I am fitting  Markits wheels btw., and other stuff to spend money on.  

Yes I am using a Perseverance chassis for the pannier.

Thank you for answering.

Rob

• RMweb Gold
Just now, RobMG said:

Hi, 

Yes I had wondered about the crank pins, and that could be a major stumbling block.  Until I can have a look at the problem close up I don't really know.   I have in fact got a complete pannier I will take a look. If it looks like loads of work  I will get a set of Markit wheels.

Cheers for reminding me of that.

My thinking was to drill out the hole from the Bachmann pin and fit a Gibson crank pin in its place.  Though in practice I suspect I am more likely to end up buying a set of Gibson wheels and doing it properly.  The build has been sat on hold for quite a while now awaiting a solution to the crank pin issue 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Aren't Bachmann RTR wheels cast, rather than turned?

If so, wouldn't Markits wheels, which are turned, give better quality running?

I am beginning to think that maybe my idea about using Bachmann wheels is seriously flawed .   I will look at Markits and also Gibson. The problem I have with Gibson is that I would have to drill the crank pin holes, and for that I would need to make a jig to feel happy about doing that.  Not impossible of course.  

Rob

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, RobMG said:

I am beginning to think that maybe my idea about using Bachmann wheels is seriously flawed .   I will look at Markits and also Gibson. The problem I have with Gibson is that I would have to drill the crank pin holes, and for that I would need to make a jig to feel happy about doing that.  Not impossible of course.  

Rob

If you're doing this in OO, as I believe you are (?), then for ease of fitment, there can really be no option other than Markits, in my view. I use Gibsons in P4, because (apart from Ultrascale), there's no choice, but the Markits pannier wheel is perfectly serviceable in OO and so much easier to fit.

Although Markits wheels are self-quartering, I did have a problem with a 'rogue' set earlier this year, so best to check, when you've got the rods on. The binding problem I had caused to me to investigate down all kinds of 'blind alleys', just because it never occurred to me at first, that a set of Markits driving wheels might have quartered differently from the other two axles.

Having said that, that was the only time I've ever encountered this problem, even though I've built a fair few chassis kits in my time using these wheels.

What is the axle diameter for the Bachmann wheels? Some are only 3mm whereas the Perseverance axle bushes will be 1/8".  You will also have to remove them from the axles to slide on the Persy bushes and then refit them accurately.  Use Markits, save yourself a lot of bother in the long run!

• Agree 1