Identifying the coupling

Hi all,

As many good things in life, my story started with a loco bought cheaply on ebay, ok maybe not so cheap. It's a Jouef dban replica, very similar with numerous SNCF types in the 80s like the BB series. I changed the tires, converted to DCC, added some nice weights to keep it on the track and the last piece of the puzzle is to enable it to pull and shunt.

As it is now, the coupling is almost completely incompatible with my coaches. The loco pulls, but if it shunts iit's a 50/550 chance to uncouple.

The plan is to make an adapter coach, but the trick is what coupling does it have? Pic attached. I found somewhat similar Bachmann 36-055, 36-056 and Liliput 939101. However, these 3 have the oval/crown arms attached differently, so not sure if compatible.

Any idea what that coupling is, or what might be compatible with it ?

Many thanks

IMG_20201111_070222.jpg

It appears to be Jouef’s take on the “standard” European loop and hook coupling as Steve says they all work fairly well together. Though Bachman 33-056 is described as cranked so avoid that one. 

Some users take the loop off one end of each vehicle to make shunting easier. Piko’s version is illustrated below. If you only want a couple PM me a street address and put them in the post

image.jpg

• Agree 1

OK, I looked more carefully.

Ideally I would just change the present couplings with something more modern, but they are moulded on the bogie and old plastic is just too finicky.

@dr Q, I will take you on that offer once I figure out how to PM using the phone app.

Cheers

Given the PITA of changing this particular coupling, why not run it with a converter wagon? One end with a coupling that will definitely attach to the loco and at the other end one that will couple to the rest of your stock.

steve

Hi, so I researched some more. What you guys are suggesting, a converter wagon is exactly what I thought of. Didn't know it has a name though. This wagon/coach/whatever would have on one side whatever coupling needs to go on this loco and a Hornby compatible on the other end.

Something I didn't know when I wrote the OP is the NEM pockets exist. None of my stock seem to have such, except for a Virgin express train. A converter wagon equipped with NEM pockets would be an easy solution, or I could trim out the overmoulding Hornby stuff off a current coach and fit a NEM pocket.

I'll add the Peco 009 to the possible compatible couplings and let you know, as usual, how it goes.

I put a bit of work and bits into this loco, the coupling aspect would just complete the job

1 hour ago, dragosmp said:

I'll add the Peco 009 to the possible compatible couplings and let you know, as usual, how it goes.

That particular brand (Peco) won’t necessarily be compatible, I was just pointing out that the 009 couplings as used by most British 009 modellers (Bemo type) are similar so some of them may be compatible. However, I have a feeling the H0 standard gauge ones are actually made to a slightly larger size so it may not quite work.

On a related note, I can never understand why this coupling design didn’t become a bit more popular with British 00 standard gauge modellers, or why it wasn’t used by any major 00 manufacturers. Obviously it is more realistic for a centre buffer design, which traditionally in Britain is wrong for standard gauge, but surely this is true for other European countries that use side buffers as well?

Edited by 009 micro modeller

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Just letting you know what happened since the last time.

Dr Quinn kindly sent me some couplings, so the next logical step is looking for a victim coach that could accept one of those couplings at the correct height as to attach properly.

A 3rd class coach in the pics attached proved to be the best suited amongst my stock. Next, turns out the Hornby coupling has the hook pocket thing just about the right size to fit in a NEM coupling. In the spirit of not messing about too much, I just fitted the closest looking coupling in that pocket mechanically, attach to the Jouef loco and see if it stays attached. We'll, it just did. I mean, I played with it for a while, then the fire test, gave the two to my kid. 3 days later, the loco still pulls and shunts the coach with this vaguely attached coupling. 

There was only one hickup. Since the Hornby hook location is slightly to the left, I get this feeling the coach/loco coupling is less tense when it turns left. I ran it on 3rd radius layout, tighter may be more of a challenge, but who knows.

Tonight I will bolt down the coupling properly, not yet sure how. Then I'll test it with more coaches attached behind, maybe on a tighter curve.

Cheers

IMG_20201129_193016.jpg

IMG_20201129_200706.jpg

IMG_20201129_200631.jpg

• Like 2