Powering track with a battery pack.

deepeg59

Any advice on running an n gauge loco on track powered by a battery pack. It is only for a very small train -loco and 2 wagons - on a Christmas scene where speed should be very slow and does not need to be variable. I don't really want to use a standard controller for safety as young children will be watching/using it and it would be more portable. Would only be used in short bursts and the loco is 'old'.

Thanks for any comments.

Basically if its rechargeable batteries don't do it.  They can deliver a very rapid discharge if shorted out, real potential for starting a fire.  I used AA rechargeable batteries in my OO garden railway locos and melted a body when I had a trapped wire short out.  Bog standard poundland 12 pack for £1 AA cells are fine.  Wall warts are the industry standard so why reinvent the watering can?

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndyID said:

You could use one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-Tri-ang-P-40-Vintage-Power-Unit/164094122346?hash=item2634c5996a:g:EJoAAOSw~QVeRUiv&redirect=mobile

but I doubt if you can find the three bell batteries it needs.

(That thing must be at least 60 years old).

A bit of creative soldering and an AA battery pack should make that into a going concern?

Mike.