Heljan Class 26 and a Buzzing Decoder

Flunter

Evening all,

I've just received from Hattons a Heljan Class 26 for my (not insignificant) birthday. I already had 2 Hattons' own 8 pin decoders that were the recommended type.

I installed the first decoder and successfully changed the loco address, the loco ran like a dream. I love this thing, or at least I did.

After running for around 15 minutes I stopped the 26 and noticed a slight buzz/hum coming from the body. I paid little attention to it and proceeded to have iTrain read the CV values (my controller is the Z21) with a view to speed-profiling the loco. The decoder instantly blew and shorted the system!

I've now installed my final decoder, it gets rather warm after running and still buzzes at a standstill, obviously I'm reluctant to do a CV read again.

All my other locos are running as sweet as a nut.

Is there anything I can do or is it a case of returning the 26 to Hattons?

TIA

Phil.

Edited by Flunter

• RMweb Gold

usual steps, check the drive train is free, by rotating the flywheels by hand, feel for any resistance, or something caught in the gears, if its not that it could be a motor fault. Good thing about heljans is they are very very easy to fix there isn't a lot to the chassis :)