USA WW I Trenches loco restored

Andy Reichert

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/wwi-era-steam-engine-restored-in-arroyo-grande-to-mark-armistice-day

This is a news item from my local area. I'm not sure where to post it but I'm certain there's interest in various sections of the forum.  If the moderators wish to move it to a better place, that's fine by me.

Andy

• Like 3

It’s Davenport no. 1695 of 1919, a 2-6-2T, US Army no. 5240.  These were locomotives built in large numbers for the US Army, following a Baldwin design. 

There are similarities to “Mountaineer” of the Ffestiniog Railway (now out of service), but that came from a batch built by Alco for the British War Department Light Railways (WDLR), and which had lower-pitched boilers.

Edited by EddieB

It is one of 3  remaining Davenports, all in the U.S, none of which ever went overseas. One is plinthed at Fort Benning and the remaining two are now in California one of which has just been restored by the current owner as seen in  the video.  These two came in a dismantled state having been last used on the Byron RR many years ago.  There was some discussion on a U.S. site that they had never been completed by Davenport - certainly one was running as a 2-6-2 tender loco with a boiler from a traction engine. 

Whilst outwardly similar to the ALCO 2-6-2T's the Baldwins (and the Davenports and Vulcans copied from them) have inside frames whilst the ALCO's are outside - makes it easier to tell them apart!   I find the whole topic of the WW1 light railways fascinating.

Cheers,

Ray.

• Like 2